SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-02-2006, 05:23 PM

how to stop a recording in progress?

how do I tell SageTV v4.1 to STOP recording a show while its recording it? without removeing the favorite or doing anything to alter future recordings. I just want it to stop that particular recording.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyr0n_k0r
how do I tell SageTV v4.1 to STOP recording a show while its recording it? without removeing the favorite or doing anything to alter future recordings. I just want it to stop that particular recording.
Push the "stop" button on your remote.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

The STOP button will NOT stop the recording! just the displaying on the TV.

You need to set that show to watched. It will take few moments and the recording will stop.

Oren.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Push the "stop" button on your remote.

Gerry
That would not work, since it is recording a favorite and not just showing the channel (channel surfing).

You need to set the watched on it , and of course if u are currently actviely watching it, press the stop button.

After a minute or two it will stop the recording...
SageTV Client 6.3.5 , AMD 3000, 1024Mb, Saphire x1600Pro256HDMI, java 1.6.1

Using Nielm's Web server 2.22
Old 07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon24
That would not work, since it is recording a favorite and not just showing the channel (channel surfing).

You need to set the watched on it , and of course if u are currently actviely watching it, press the stop button.

After a minute or two it will stop the recording...

Select program--> Click--> Record options--> Cancel recording
Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
That's the one that does it for me.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
I don't think this is an option if it is a favorite...only if it is a manual record? Also, the problem with setting it watched is that you have to remember to set it unwatched (in the history) if you want it to record later (or do an additional airings -> manual record before setting it watched).
Old 07-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
I don't think this is an option if it is a favorite...only if it is a manual record?
Yes that is right.

I just had a favorite recording and the only way to stop it is to check the watched box.

regards
Old 07-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Go to the program guide and select another channel.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 07-04-2006, 05:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by domc
Go to the program guide and select another channel.
Not going to work if you have more than 1 tuner.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Perhaps Sage could implement something easy and useful to resolve this embarassment.

If the user presses the stop button twice in succession, put up a dialog box asking if the user wishes to stop the recording.
Sage 7.1.9, Java Java 1.7.0_75, Windows 8.1, Athlon X4 620, 4GB, Hauppauge 950Q, ATI 650HD video encoder with IR/Blaster, Radeon 5450, HDMI out, TV is primary monitor, Plex Plug-in serves up to mobile devices/PS3/WiiU just fine
Old 07-04-2006, 07:04 AM
SageTVaholic

The real question is: why do you want to stop it:

If you have scheduled it as a favorite, and you have already watched that episode, or didn't like it, then there is an obvious way to tell Sage about it : setting the watched or don't like flags.

If you have scheduled it as a manual recording, cancel the manual recording

If you are watching it Live, 'STOP' watching it live

If you want to record something else set the something else as a manual recording

If you want to watch live TV , and you don't have enough tuners, then Sage will prompt you to cancel one of the recordings (IIRC: I no longer watch live TV)

Unless I am being stupid, I cannot see any reason outside of these why anyone would need some kind of special 'Cancel this recording' function.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm

If you have scheduled it as a favorite, and you have already watched that episode, or didn't like it, then there is an obvious way to tell Sage about it : setting the watched or don't like flags.

If you have scheduled it as a manual recording, cancel the manual recording

If you are watching it Live, 'STOP' watching it live

If you want to record something else set the something else as a manual recording

If you want to watch live TV , and you don't have enough tuners, then Sage will prompt you to cancel one of the recordings (IIRC: I no longer watch live TV)

Unless I am being stupid, I cannot see any reason outside of these why anyone would need some kind of special 'Cancel this recording' function.
Well, for the WAF ... having 1 instead of 5 ways to stop a recording woudl be nice. Instead of all those cases, and appropriate solutions (which all work well) ... it would be nice to have one function that stops the recording in all cases.

Gramma need simple.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Because I would like an easier way to record sometimes small portions of shows (there is a way to do this but its a pain).
Perhaps SageTV will not put this feature in because all those small clips would end up on YouTube.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 07-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Funny, Tonight I had the same issue. Sage was recording the simpsons, and I saw that it was the same episod from this afternoon. I wanted to cancel but there is no easyway to cancel a recording with sagetv.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You're not being stupid in anyway, you're just not listenning. I know you don't represent SageTV, but in general for a developer, they should listen to the customers instead of telling them how things should be. And this problem has been brought up before in other threads, so it is a common problem or complaint that people are having with SageTV. And I know you listen to users here and doing a great job with the updates to your many plugins, especially the web server, which is god send and is one of the main reasons why I like SageTV over the competitions.

Why do you think of just only the scenarios where a STOP RECORDING feature would be needed? Instead, you should've thought of why not just add it, whats the negative in giving the user an extra STOP RECORDING option? There are plenty of features that I find useless in SageTV, but just because it is useless to me, it doesn't mean that it's useless to others. The key is to give the user the options.

Also, when SageTV is recording a favorite, setting WATCHED doesn't always immediately stop the recording. I noticed that if a show has just recorded, then it would stop the recording in a matter of 5-10 seconds. But if the favorite has been recording for a long time or close to then end of the show, then SageTV will continue to record it even after you set WATCHED. It could be a bug but thats my experience. Anyway, I find it very useful to have a STOP RECORDING NOW feature that applies to all recordings including favorites, liveTV, and manuals.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonmike
Funny, Tonight I had the same issue. Sage was recording the simpsons, and I saw that it was the same episod from this afternoon. I wanted to cancel but there is no easyway to cancel a recording with sagetv.
All you had to do was set it as watched.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Mayamaniac, its not so much that I am not listening, I am not understanding the scenarios which would require a user to need to stop sage recording.

eg jds23's 8yr old -- why is it recording: is it liveTV, a fave, or a man rec? And why does she want to stop it recording?

In my usage, I never monitor current recordings: I have my faves and man-rec's set up, and I just leave Sage to it. If sage records something wrong, or an episode of something twice due to bad EPG data, I find it out later and delete it.. Maybe I am just blessed with enough disk space (or cursed with not enough interesting TV!)

Dommc's scenario is a difficult one, as is another scenario which was not mentioned: digitizing a video cassette... Not easy, and not something Sage was ever desgined to do...

(BTW, setting a currently recording fave to watched/don'tlike should stop it -- if it does not, report it as a bug)
Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Sage User

I am having trouble stopping favorite recordings on sage 4.1. I have MVP running and the server. For sports (World Cup) I have set my Fav stop padding time for 120min after.

The game was over but still playing on the MVP where we had been watching the game time shifted. So I went to the server (computer not MVP) andtried to stop the recording by selecting the recording options but there was no stop/cancel recording.

I then went and selected another channel to record but still did not get a response from Sage.

Then I tried to change the fav to a manual record by clicking on record in the record options. I then went into record options and selected cancel recording. It still did not stop the recording. (btw does cancel the recording stop the recording and leave the file or does it delete the file?)

Still from the computer server, I then selected Watched and waited. Sage still recorded the game.

I did the above several times with various magical words that raised the WAF eyebrows but to no avail.
I semi gave up.

Never saying never, later, 10 mins or so, I went to the MVP and either selected Watched or in options record and cancel recording. (It's blurry to me now.) It worked perfectly.

Now does sage have a command focus? It sometimes seems that if I have MVP (or client) running and try to change from the computer (server) that sage will ignore my computer commands until I turn off the MVP or visa versa.

Thx,
fd
Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 AM
SageTVaholic

There is no command focus, apart from for playback-commands (obviously!), so setting a show as 'watched' will apply everywhere.

But because the football was still being watched on the MVP, and if you were still in the time period covered by the scheduled favorite, it would still be being recorded - because you were still watching it...

If you had first stopped playback on the MVP, the setting of Watched would work no matter where you did it... (theoretically: unless Mayamaniac's description hints at a bug...)

Cancelling a manual recording... If most of the program has been recorded, it will be included in the Sage Recordings list. If very little has been recorded, then Sage will class it as a 'partial' recording and hide it (and depending on a config setting, delete it soon after).