SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Sage User

Unique Issues

I am having a problem, actually a few problems.

1. The main one, the webserver isn't working properly now. I thought it was working at home properly, but then I get up here at work, and I know it's not working right. I type in the correct address: "http://myipaddress:8080/sage/home", but instead of going to the webserver, it prompts for username and password for my wired router.

When I am at home "http://myipaddress" goes to my wired router, it shouldn't do that should it? Then in type in "http://myipaddress:8080/sage/home", and it goes to the webserver.

I have a wireless router setup as an access point hooked into my wired router. Is this causing my problems. I have port forwarding for port 8080 setup on my wired router. What's going on here?

2. Next problem is my menu on the Sage interface are almost unreadable, there are like lines going through some of the letters. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. I don't guess it's that big of a deal since I don't use the regular sage interface that much, I primarily use the webserver to view guide and setup recordings. I did get a new video card and monitor, that's probably what's causing it, but I uninstalled my tuner card, and even put in different PCI slot, unistalled Sage, and reinstalled, still having this issue. Is there anyway to clear everything from Sage out of registry?

Thank you for your help!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp207
I am having a problem, actually a few problems.

1. The main one, the webserver isn't working properly now. I thought it was working at home properly, but then I get up here at work, and I know it's not working right. I type in the correct address: "http://myipaddress:8080/sage/home", but instead of going to the webserver, it prompts for username and password for my wired router.

When I am at home "http://myipaddress" goes to my wired router, it shouldn't do that should it? Then in type in "http://myipaddress:8080/sage/home", and it goes to the webserver.
"http://myipaddress" should go to your router unless you configured port forwarding for port 80 as well. HTTP Protocal will use port 80.

Quote:
I have a wireless router setup as an access point hooked into my wired router. Is this causing my problems. I have port forwarding for port 8080 setup on my wired router. What's going on here?
It should. I use two Wireless Routers one of them in bridging mode and it works fine. Where is the SageTV Box connected? Which of the Routers is connected to the Internet? You should disable the firewall on the Router which is not connected to the Net.

Quote:
2. Next problem is my menu on the Sage interface are almost unreadable, there are like lines going through some of the letters. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. I don't guess it's that big of a deal since I don't use the regular sage interface that much, I primarily use the webserver to view guide and setup recordings. I did get a new video card and monitor, that's probably what's causing it, but I uninstalled my tuner card, and even put in different PCI slot, unistalled Sage, and reinstalled, still having this issue. Is there anyway to clear everything from Sage out of registry?

Thank you for your help!!!
Can you post a screenshot of the SageTV Interface? You could also try to switch the 3d Accelaration off (SageTV Setup Menu)
Old 05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your help!

I will post a screenshot once I get home.

I have in the internet as well as the sage box going into wired router.
So you think disabling firewall on wireless router will help?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Sage User

Oh, and by "myipaddress", I mean, the address assigned to me by my ISP and NOT the usual 192.168.1.1

So if you type in your ip address assigned by the ISP, is should go to router??
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

If the router accepts connections on the public IP Address (some don't) it should still go to the router.

You should switch the firewall off for the time being. It will make pinpoiting the problem a little easier. If you do not access any public networks via the wireless router you can probably leave it switched off anyway. You should make sure that WEP or WAP encryption is enabled, of course.

BTW When you configured the port forwarding did you specify the public (ISP) or the private IP of the your SageTV Box? You need to specify the private one e.g.

Forward Port 8080 to 192.168.1.1 Port 8080
Old 05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Sage User

I assigned an ip address to each computer on network.

I assigned the address: 192.168.1.100 to my main computer that has Sage on it. And that's the address I used when I setup port forwarding, should I use 192.168.1.1 instead?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Some routers have remote admin on port 8080 (it allows you to admin the router over the internet) -- this will override any port 8080 forwarding settings...

Disable router remote admin, or use a different port.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Sage User

Okay thanks! Will give that a shot as well.

If it helps, I have the Linksys BEFSR41.

So should I use 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.1 on the port forwarding?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

the address of your sage server, so .100.
The webserver docs website has some ways of testeing external connectivity from inside your home network (using internet HTML validators or proxies)
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Okay thanks! Will give that a shot as well.

If it helps, I have the Linksys BEFSR41.

So should I use 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.1 on the port forwarding?
Sorry for the confusion. You mentioned 192.168.1.1 somewhere so I just asumed that this is the IP of your Sage box
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Sage User

Oh, no problem. This whole thing has been very confusing. I had it working great once upon a time, now there a bunch of new variables to throw into the mix. Things are just out of wack now.

I can't wait to get home to resolve this! Thank you for your help!

And thank you Nielm, for your help, and for creating such a wonderful Utility in the webserver!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

jp207,

how do you have your wireless router hooked up? Is it connected through the wan port or a lan port?

Also, do you have DHCP enabled on either of the routers?

Just trying to understand your network topology.

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Sage User

I have my wireless router connected to my wired router via port number 4 each of them, in other words just a regular lan port and not the wan port. I gave the wireless router an ip address of 192.168.1.2, and I disabled DHCP on it.

The wired router has DHCP enabled with an ip address of 192.168.1.1
Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
Some routers have remote admin on port 8080 (it allows you to admin the router over the internet) -- this will override any port 8080 forwarding settings...

Disable router remote admin, or use a different port.

It *sounds* most likely like this is the case. It also sounds like you have remote access to your router if you access http://myipaddress:8080...

SO... if you're daring, you can try to fix this remotely by chaning the router's remote administration port. It will probably automatically reboot the router after you make this change.

1. access router admin "http://myipaddress:8080"
2. go to the "administration" tab.
3. change "Administration Port" to 8081
4. click "Save Settings". (will probably reboot the router, so you may need to wait a minute)
5. Access router admin at "http://myipaddress:8081" (just to see if it worked)
6. attempt to access sage once again at "http://myipaddress:8080/sage/Home"

OR, you can wait til you get home just to be safe. I like to live dangerously... well, kinda...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage User

Right on the money emok!!

For some crazy reason, I had remote management enabled! I really don't need remote management, so I just disabled it, and it worked!!!

But the crazy thing is that, earlier today I was trying to access my router, and I couldn't! The prompt for the uname and pw came up, I entered them, and I got a red screen saying something like access denied, but I tried again a second ago, and it worked! Maybe I was just typing wrong, I do have long complicated password. But I was feeling daring, so I tried again, and it worked!!!

Oh, I remember why I had remoted mgmt turned on, yesterday I was fooling around with settings, and must of enabled it. It wasn't working yesterday, and come to find out, for some crazy reason, on my sage box, the ip address was set to configure automatically even after I configured it manually, so don't know what happened there.

But anyway thank you emok!!! It works now!!!

And thank you everyone else for your quick responses and your input! This sage community is great!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Sage User

Sorry my bad, nielm, you mentioned the remote admin thing too. You deserve credit. So many many many thanks to you too!!!!! Thank you all for your knowledge and expertise!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Sage User

Alright, here's the display issues I am having with the menu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sage messed up copy.jpg (234.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

The first thing I would do is try turning off 3D Acceleration in Detailed Setup -> Advanced to see what happens. Then, I would look into updating the video card driver or DirectX.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Sage User

will turning off 3D acceleration effect the quality of my recordings?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Administrator

No, that has nothing to do with the recording getting created; it only affects how SageTV displays things.

It will affect whether you can use VMR9 for playback, among other things. And, after updating the driver or DirectX, you may be able to use 3D Acceleration again... if what I'm suggesting has anything to do with it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.