SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Sage User

Porting SageTV to run on D-Link DSM-520

Hello,

I've just downloaded the trial version of SageTV and I love it! I does pretty much everything that I want. One of the only problems I have with it is that it is not compatible with other media players except the MPV. Can there be, or will there ever be, the ability to use SageTV with the DSM-520 media player. I have the box now and it is great - HDMI output, wireless, loads of codec support. The proble is the UI and the overall "basic-ness" of it. It seems to me that dlink has only given it basic functionality and that someone could add alot more to it if they were able to get their hands on the firmware or something.

Are there any plans for make STV available to other media players other than the MVP? Specifically the DSM-520.

Thanks
George
Old 05-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

WOW, that is just what I've been looking for. If it could work with SageTV would be great. I'm looking at building a low priced HTPC for a SageClient, but it always ends up at about $500.

Here's the link to the D-Link DSM-520 for anyone wanting to look. Best part I like is the HDMI output.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=438&sec=1

-Polen
Old 05-27-2006, 09:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I would like this too but it is not really likely to happen because DLink doesn't make the Firmware Source code available to third parties - the last I heard. I pointed Sage personnel to a web site that supposedly has the firmware. But it was only the GPL source that DLink had made available for download - just like the DSM-320. The archive was half again bigger in size so I thought that maybe for the DSM-520 it would be different but it was reported back that it was just the GPL'ed code. So I doubt it will happen unless Sage can get the WHOLE firmware source out of DLink.

BobP.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
I would like this too but it is not really likely to happen because DLink doesn't make the Firmware Source code available to third parties - the last I heard. I pointed Sage personnel to a web site that supposedly has the firmware. But it was only the GPL source that DLink had made available for download - just like the DSM-320. The archive was half again bigger in size so I thought that maybe for the DSM-520 it would be different but it was reported back that it was just the GPL'ed code. So I doubt it will happen unless Sage can get the WHOLE firmware source out of DLink.
Any update on this? Any news on whether Sage is pursuing support for Dlink MediaLounge devices? I got one of these (the Dlink DSM-320RD) a while back and I have really had no use for it since I switched to my SageTV / MyTheatre setup. Getting to use this with a media extender license would be a total coup.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xred
Any update on this? Any news on whether Sage is pursuing support for Dlink MediaLounge devices? I got one of these (the Dlink DSM-320RD) a while back and I have really had no use for it since I switched to my SageTV / MyTheatre setup. Getting to use this with a media extender license would be a total coup.
I have no idea. The last I heard was the source wasn't available and without the source they wouldn't be able to proceed. At least in my opinion they wouldn't. Now if you want official word you will need to talk to SageTV directly. They might be working on it then again they might not. The Buffalo Link Theater or the Roku HD1000 are probably more likely for a SageTV HD client. But don't take this as official word I have no way of knowing just my guesses.

I use my DSM-320 and DSM-520 as silent players for my ASP MP4 converted videos and my MVP's for LiveTV and MPG's that I haven't converted yet. I got the DSM-320/520 because they were the only ones that offered RadioAOL - need to get some use out of my 12 year old AOL account. Also they do a fine job of displaying the videos just wish DLink would give out the firmware source so that SageTV could use it as a client.

BobP.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe if enough people request an HD capable client such as the Roku (which is open source) they might consider it? I wish someone from sage would chime and and at least confirm there will be some sort of solution in the coming months....that would go a long way.

Darin
Old 06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7675
Maybe if enough people request an HD capable client such as the Roku (which is open source) they might consider it? I wish someone from sage would chime and and at least confirm there will be some sort of solution in the coming months....that would go a long way.

Darin

There is one in the works jeff let it slip at the CES in vegas but which one??????? (no one from sage will chime in untill itīs finished opus is probaly testing one right now)
Old 06-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Even an unconfirmed rumour is good news. Hopefully they will chime in as soon as they are able to. Really looking forward to something. Is it a client based on a current product or a new product all together?

Darin
Old 06-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggshubin
Are there any plans for make STV available to other media players other than the MVP? Specifically the DSM-520.
If you want that to be possible please contact dlink and let them know they are obligated according to the GPL to release the source code to their uclinux based kernel. If we can get that it would significantly increase the odds for that device.

Dlink info:
Customer Service: phone: 1.800.326.1688
email: customerservice@dlink.com

You could also try redsonic which made the software:
USA office : 1-949-232-6045 sales@redsonic.com

I didn't have much luck with them last time I tried.

_Demo_
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Sage Icon

Know of any devices that may be easier to get a hold of the source? Would that be the roku?

It may be easier to persue an attainable goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
If you want that to be possible please contact dlink and let them know they are obligated according to the GPL to release the source code to their uclinux based kernel. If we can get that it would significantly increase the odds for that device.

Dlink info:
Customer Service: phone: 1.800.326.1688
email: customerservice@dlink.com

You could also try redsonic which made the software:
USA office : 1-949-232-6045 sales@redsonic.com

I didn't have much luck with them last time I tried.

_Demo_

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 PM

Last time I looked at the Roku it didn't seem like it had the flexibility needed to do an extender... It is most likely more a programming interface problem than the actual hardware though.

_Demo_
Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wish that someone from sage or someone familiar with what is necessary to program a sage client on the roku could take a look at the roku beta source or sdk and comment on the feasability. I wish I could but just don't have a clue about what is necessary or what is needed. There is complete documentation on the rokulabs forum at the link below. Anyone?

http://http://www.rokulabs.com/forum...e3d16ee6c96901
Old 06-01-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7675
I wish that someone from sage or someone familiar with what is necessary to program a sage client on the roku could take a look at the roku beta source or sdk and comment on the feasability.
I took a quick look and it seems things haven't changed much in those years. The interface is still too limited to do an interesting client.

_Demo_
Old 06-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for taking a look. If I could see the recording data as it appears in sage, and schedule recordings I would actually be happy. I don't actually watch live tv. Is the live tv the most difficult part of it? Just wondering what may be possible and what is not with it.

Thanks again.

Darin
Old 06-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage Icon

so start the rumor of what would be the best device demo

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
I took a quick look and it seems things haven't changed much in those years. The interface is still too limited to do an interesting client.

_Demo_
When you say "interface" are you talking the user interface, or programming interface?
If you're talking user interface there is a functioning MythTV client 3rd party app for the Roku and it's interface is basically similar to SageTV.

There are also other 3rd party apps for the Roku that call up cover art, and descriptions for ripped DVD's as well as for MP3's.(and other audio formats)

Here's some links to screenshots of various 3rd party Roku apps.

Mplay Screenshots

Sonica Music Player Screenshots

Viper Screenshots
Old 06-02-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
When you say "interface" are you talking the user interface, or programming interface?
If you're talking user interface there is a functioning MythTV client 3rd party app for the Roku and it's interface is basically similar to SageTV.
I was talking about the programming interface, I think those other media players may use more advanced features than what is presented in the html sdk files. If those are complete enough it might be possible to do something interesting.

_Demo_
Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

The MPlay, Sonica (which I use all the time) all have a very nice UI. I don't use or haven't seen any screenshots of the mythroku. It would be interesting to see screenshots of the mythroku app to see if it looks similiar to what the sage client on the roku would need to look like. _Demo_ you are beginning to give me hope. Let me know if you decide to look at it any closer to see what is possible. The developers of Mplay/SlimRoku and Sonica are obviously very knowledgeable in developement on the roku. They are also extremely responsive if you had any further questions on the capability of the SDK. Take a look at the SlimRoku client interface for Slimserver. It looks great as well (same person that developed Mplay). I sure wish this could happen....

http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/index.html
Old 06-02-2006, 12:59 PM

I maybe wrong but isn't the Roku HD1000 programming interface in C and C++
Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
I maybe wrong but isn't the Roku HD1000 programming interface in C and C++
That's right, the problem is the flexibility of those interfaces.

_Demo_