SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can I make a mp3 play list outside of Sage?

What is the format? I've never successfully made one list and was thinking something like Python might be easier. Can someone post or link the format?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage playlists are stored internally in the wiz.bin database. There is no external format for them.

However it wouldn't be hard to write some code using the PlaylistAPI to export Sage playlists to one of the popular external formats such as m3u, wpl, etc. (For information on those formats, I suggest Google.)

What exactly are you trying to do that requires an external playlist format?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage recognises and imports m3u / pls / wpl playlists automagically (I believe). you just need to put them in the music library folder...

Winamp can create m3u and pls playlists, and Windows media player can create m3u / wpl / pls playlists.

All the formats are text-based and trivial to create by hand / with tools. (format descriptions)

For exporting Sage playlists, my webserver can export sage playlists to m3u/pls/wpl..

Last edited by nielm; 05-22-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks. I don't want to export a list, but import one. I find Sage very clumbsy for MP3 playback unless you just put it on random, but then Tool and Dora on't mix well. So I can make a playlist with WMP10 or Winamp and Sage will use them? Sweet! WMP10 has a great drag and drop interface.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I cannot get Sage to see my playlist. I made a m3u list and put it in the Sage dir and the mp3 dir. Do I have to import it somehow? Did I try the wrong dirs?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Sage Expert

Did you try selecting "Refresh Imported Media" in the "Setup" menu (it's called something like that)? Perhaps that is needed for Sage to see the new M3U files...
Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
Did you try selecting "Refresh Imported Media" in the "Setup" menu (it's called something like that)? Perhaps that is needed for Sage to see the new M3U files...
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

i have a ticket open to try and get to the bottom of the whole playlists in sage thing (externally created playlists) and after some testing and playing around, i cant get sage to import playlists either, i think its bugged honestly.

although my situation is a bit different, im trying to get sage to PLAY a playlist of video files, ive tried with mp3's also. if i put a playlist in one of my music import directories, then move the mp3s that i want sage to play, outside of the music import directories, verify that the playlist points to the files in their new place, then sage just ignores the playlist as if it doesnt see it at all (nothing in the debug logs and the media isnt imported into the music library). however if i then change the playlist to make it point to a file that doesnt exist, sage will throw an error about it ignoring the playlist because of an invalid entry. so, sage sees the playlist for sure when it points to an invalid file, one can only assume that it sees it when its correct also. but it just doesnt import anything.

i'll try and relay any info i get back from support about sage and how it handles externaly created playlists, that is when i get some myself

Last edited by xlr8shun; 05-23-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

The new "feature" where sage automatically creates playlists is very frustrating to me.....somehow, they took a mediocre music player and made it more annoying: deleting playlists is very painful process when hundreds are automatically created. I will try to import playlists I've created in winamp; that had better work.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_95sl1
deleting playlists is very painful process when hundreds are automatically created.
I just have to ask... where are you getting hundreds of automatically created playlists? Are these being imported or what?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's cause I'm stupid and didn't realize that there were automatically created m3u playlists from my mp3 ripper software in my folders; I thought sage was doing something evil, when what really was happening was that the auto playlist importing was added and doing its job as it should. I guess it imports playlists just fine then

thank you for questioning me....it didn't make any sense why that was happening.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Where did you put the lists so that Sage imported them? What format?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sage imports playlists for me if they're in the import media directorty. Seemingly anywhere because like Ben the first time that feature was implemented suddently 100's of playlists appeared in Sage.

I'd like to see the Sage player revisted but creating lists with winamp works really well for me. Honestly I can't really see using the '10ft interface' for creating/managing playlists for my gazillion mp3's when I can just use the mouse via the desktop but thats just a personal thing.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33
Where did you put the lists so that Sage imported them? What format?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you use m3u lists? Do you have to restart Sage or does it just do it with a refresh? Does it show up in the playlist section in music? I still don't see why it doesn't see my one list.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes m3u.

No restart just a refresh.

Shows up in the music playlist manager.

Why? I don't know. He's on third.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33
Did you use m3u lists? Do you have to restart Sage or does it just do it with a refresh? Does it show up in the playlist section in music? I still don't see why it doesn't see my one list.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

It doesn't matter which of my media import dirs I put the m3u list in Sage never shows it. Frustrating.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Can SageTV see all files in the playlist via the paths to those files specified in the playlist?

If you are having problems getting them to import, check with support. If there is something that can be changed in the core to handle importing them better, I'm sure they would like to see examples.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am having a similar problem. Sage sees *some* of my m3u playlists, but not others. I created all of them so long ago that I'm not sure how I created them (either winamp or WMP). I tried creating new and Sage never saw it.

My only complaint about playlists in Sage is that it is a pain in the ass if I want to change the order of songs. The only thing 'random' seems to affect is when I play songs directly (ie, not as part of a playlist). I can't even jump to the middle of a playlist and start playing. This is particularly annoying when the playlist has over 100 songs in it!

If only they had the ability, though, to have more than one video playlist . . . .
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Has anyone that was having trouble getting SageTV to import your M3U or WPL playlists gotten it to work?

I've tried everything I can think of, and SageTV 5.0.4 refuses to import my playlists. I've tried minimalizing the content (e.g. drop all comments), making paths absolute vs. relative, storing music and playlists on a local drive vs. network drive, etc.

I "Refresh Imported Media" after each change, and I know that the refresh is occuring because I have made changes to the music files just to make sure that the changes were picked up (they were). But the playlists were not.

I've also checked and confirmed that Sage.properties contains:
seeker/playlist_import_filename_extensions=.m3u,.asx,.wax,.wvx,.wpl

Nothing seems to work -- no matter what I do, SageTV refuses to see the playlists.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator

If you enable debug logging, the log may have some info on why the playlist was rejected.

- Andy