SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

Tivo - Recently Deleted Feature?

Does Sage have a recently deleted feature like Tivo? If not, it's going to bring the CAF down a bit (well, if there is a WAF and a FAF why not a CAF where C is for child or actually maybe I meant YTAF for Young Teen Acceptance Factor)?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-18-2006, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

I would love to see this feature in a future update to Sage. Just the other day, I deleted a program by mistake....that's the beauty of the tivo recently deleted feature. Finger's crossed
Old 09-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Sage User

I too would be interested in this feature
Old 10-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Sage Icon

Recently Deleted Feature?

Will we ever have this? Is it a possibility? I'm still getting the Tivo/Sage comparisons from family members.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 05:17 AM
SageTVaholic

For the non-TiVO aware, can you explain what it is? (just a list of deleted files, or a bit more...)
Old 10-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

If in Sage you go to Sage Recordings and you Delete a show there is no way to get it back. With Tivo you can see Recently Deleted shows and recover them (just like in windows you can recover files in the recycle bin). I was thinking perhaps Sage could move the deleted files to a deleted folder (just like we can move files to Archives). Then when new shows are recorded it would use the free space on disk and then overwrite the oldest shows in the recently deleted folder. That would be ideal.

On another note, I think in version 5 I could go to options when watching a show and delete the show. Now, it seems as if that has been removed. Kind of a disappointment to me.

Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ooo you got Neilm to read it. I've requested this before, Hey Neilm read these threads.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...77&#post136877

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ete#post151543

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ete#post166828
sort of related.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok, its a recycle-bin/undelete feature...

This is not something that can be customised by STV developers (it would have to be a core change...)
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Sage Icon

Well - as a programmer myself I would respectfully have to disagree with you. As per my prior reply, in the same way Sage is able to set a file marked as Archive and then archives may be accessed, they may just as easily mark a file as "Deleted" in a deleted folder (as opposed to an archive folder). The main difference is that Sage could use the files in the Deleted folder (or the deleted attribute) to be used first for free space.

(Edited: by recycle bin, I was just using that as an analogy. I'm suggesting a one byte attribute in wiz.bin or somewhere where for example: 1 = normal, 2 = archive, 3 = deleted. Sage does not actually delete and send the file to the recycle bin but just has a different attribute for the file and then when the file is deleted just like Email one could permanently delete it which does delete the file).

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
Ok, its a recycle-bin/undelete feature...

This is not something that can be customised by STV developers (it would have to be a core change...)

Last edited by mike1961; 10-12-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Well - as a programmer myself I would respectfully have to disagree with you. As per my prior reply, in the same way Sage is able to set a file marked as Archive and then archives may be accessed, they may just as easily mark a file as "Deleted" in a deleted folder (as opposed to an archive folder). The main difference is that Sage could use the files in the Deleted folder (or the deleted attribute) to be used first for free space.
Mike, re-read what Niel said, he didn't say it was impossible, he said it couldn't be done (well not cleanly, elegantly, easilly, or without significant cludging) with a "simple" customization of the UI.

The Sage core handles file deletions, not the STV/UI. What you describe would have to be implimented in the core. There's no way to mark a file "delete first" in Sage currently, which is basically what would be required to do what you want. You can't add fields to the database in an STV that aren't provided by the core.

About all you can do now is mark a show watched, and in the case of Manual Recordings, remove the manual recording status. All that can be, and is done with the default UI.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Sage Icon

Stanger - I'm not referring to the Watched feature. I'm referring to the Archive feature. Perhaps the feature is difficult to implement but if it could it would be great. It certainly would not truly delete a file but rather would have to store either another flag or status byte which could be grouped along with the Archive bit or byte. So, instead of Archive it goes into Deleted (but it's just a flag and not truly going into a recycle bin). I can see where this would require a modification of a database and perhaps it's different than the relational database software I wrote because it's relatively simple to make modifications to the fields in the software I provide (but, that's a different application and it may very well be different with STV).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Sage Expert

If you don't use the archive feature, you could change the UI to accomplish what you want I guess. Not an STV developer so theres probably more to this than I'm suggesting.

- Remove archive button from recordings screens
- Change delete button so that instead of deleting, it sets the archive attribute
- Rename archive screens to 'Recently Deleted'

It would of course be better if there was core support for this. Ability to mark a recording for deletion and to configure the time until deletions are made permanent.

Last edited by Mark SS; 10-13-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Stanger - I'm not referring to the Watched feature. I'm referring to the Archive feature.
I mentioned "Watched" only as an example of something that currently puts a recording higher up the delete list.

Quote:
I can see where this would require a modification of a database and perhaps it's different than the relational database software I wrote because it's relatively simple to make modifications to the fields in the software I provide (but, that's a different application and it may very well be different with STV).
That's the thing, there is no way to add fields to the Sage database, there's no API for that. SageTV would have to update the database and provide an API for flagging a recording "ready to delete". That's not something that can be done by a Studio developer.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 AM
SageTVaholic

I didn't just reject it out of hand, mike...

Whatever could be done to implement this as a customisation (and not a core feature) would fundamentally break sage's auto-deletion or IR mechanisms.

It also has to be a core feature so that Sage can incorporate the 'pending deletion' files in it's auto-deletion mechanism, and the free disk space calculations...

Setting a flag in a local (non-DB) variable:
Would not show up in other clients, and the files would not be auto-deleted.

Use DB 'archive' flag as a 'pending delete' flag:
This would mean that the 'pending delete' files would *never* be auto-deleted by Sage when it needs space, so all other shows would be deleted first.

Use DB 'watched' flag as a 'pending delete' flag:
better: watched files are up on the delete priority scale, but Sage auto-sets 'watched' when a file is, well, watched...

Use DB 'don't like' flag as a 'pending delete' flag.
A bit better: files marked as don't like are one of the first ones to get deleted, but then this would break the IR and the favorite auto-priority mechanisms, as you would be saying that you didn't like files that you liked.

Things that none of these ideas can cope with would be:

* someone using delete from a non-customised client.
* Sage auto-deleting shows for favorites with 'keep at most' set...
* someone deleting the show from the HDD outside sage
Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Sage Icon

I just discovered this thread from a while back talking about another way to do it. In the thread, they also talk about a flag like the archive flag or just the idea of not deleting the file but removing it from displaying in Sage Recordings. I still think it would be a great feature. Here's the thread (see post #27 which sounds like a logical way to implement this):

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=15599&page=2

Mike
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, I'm necroposting. This just bit me again. I'm so used to deleting when I watch, but now I want to save thing up for someone house sitting for me over the weekend. I'm so used to TiVo's "recently delete" folder and it's getting very frustrating. I've got a perfect usage model on how this would look in my head, even allowing for a space limit for the recently deleted if users want. Help me SageTV, you're my only hope.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
SageTVaholic

You could always not delete stuff
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You could always not delete stuff
OOhhhhh burn!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Not that I have any interest in this feature, but here's one idea for how it might work as a plugin. You'd need to rewrite part of the UI so you could "hide" recordings. It seems like you should be able to do that with some sort of plugin (though I have no idea of how much work it would take). So, when you delete a show, really it just hides the show in the UI, sets it watched, then changes the airing date to something old. If it's a manual recording, then I suppose you have to remove the manual recording status too. That combination should move it up in the queue for deletion so you could still rely on Sage's autodelete functionality.

But, it seems like an awful lot of work for a pretty niche feature.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Sage Expert

yeah, what is the price of a 1 TB hard drive now-a-days? $80?
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom