SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Help! How to "operate/modify" HTPC remotely over network???

Hi all! Newbie here! Just got my HTPC built up and running
(probably more like "up and crawling" at this point)

The HTPC box is very quiet and as such, is sitting next to the big screen in a seperate room. It's a pain in the arse to muddle around with settings, installing software, ripping DVD's etc at that location. Since the whole house is networked, I'd love to be able to somehow "take over" the HTPC from my workhorse PC in another room, and perform all the mods, setups, etc, from here!

I know this is more of a Windows kind of question but I was hoping I could get an answer here.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

The two best options are Windows Remote Desktop if you're running XP or VNC if you're running anything else.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a big fan of UltraVNC:

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

it's free, fast and easy to use - I use it to manage 3 servers tucked in a wiring closet.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

There's an easy trick to get winxp to allow a more then 1 simultaneous user with remote desktop: see google. It works great I use it ALL the time.

It will allow you to do things with the htpc remotely under another account, eg. user_remote, while the htpc sw (sagetv) continues on normally logged in as user....which means someone can watch tv uninterrupted. It makes me angry that xp pro does not include that capability out of the box....
Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I have a machine next to the big screen. I am using MS Remote Desktop with the aforementioned modification to allow simultaneous logons. It is better than VNC, IMHO, becauseI can be on in the "background" while the TV is running. With VNC, you control the TV's screen.

PM me if you'd like help with the mod.

B
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for mentioning this; I found the directions via google and I'm definitely doing it when I get home from work!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Sage User

can you post the link please.... it's so much easier when people find stuff to put it in the forum
Old 04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Probably this:
http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

BobP.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yep, those are the directions I'm planning on following.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

If, as in those instructions, you enable fast-user-switching, does this remove what I have now for unattended automatic reboot and automatic login? That is, the HTPC with Sage reboots if the UPS battery goes dead and no one touches the PC and Sage resumes.

I use VNC or UltraVNC because it takes 30 seconds and ONE step to install the server and 10 seconds to install teh client. Doesn't touch windows system folder stuff. I even do it across the internet, to two different PCs at home, with port-forwarding on my router (but I can't do it from work due to employer's firewalls and WebSense which blocks even LogMeIn.com).

I don't know about Remote Desktop (I tried it and is was not fun), but VNC and most of the rest can't and don't relay the image raster from a media player.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech
If, as in those instructions, you enable fast-user-switching, does this remove what I have now for unattended automatic reboot and automatic login? That is, the HTPC with Sage reboots if the UPS battery goes dead and no one touches the PC and Sage resumes.

I use VNC or UltraVNC because it takes 30 seconds and ONE step to install the server and 10 seconds to install teh client. Doesn't touch windows system folder stuff. I even do it across the internet, to two different PCs at home, with port-forwarding on my router (but I can't do it from work due to employer's firewalls and WebSense which blocks even LogMeIn.com).

I don't know about Remote Desktop (I tried it and is was not fun), but VNC and most of the rest can't and don't relay the image raster from a media player.
I am using auto logon for my TV "user" works fine. I upgrade Sage and video drivers for NVidia from the RDP session whenever required. All applications run great. In my experience RDP is very fast.

B
Old 04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I tried VNC and it was extremely slow, don't know why? I couldn't use it with two simultaneous logins anyway, so I never bothered with it again....Remote desktop I find to be VERY FAST, almost as good as being on the machine..and I login from a wimpy p2 366 128mb machine with win2k.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

???
I am a little confused here. I to use RDP with the mod. You have to then create a new user to log on while the other user (Sage) is running. How does this allow you to "control" Sage?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, what you require is different, I think. What exactly do you want to control in sage? Does the webserver meet your needs? If you want to take over control of sage with the sage user still logged in on the pc, then VNC does that. I think RDP will always kick the local session off if it's the same user, maybe it doesn't.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have been using UltraVNC for several months now on my home network. It works well, and I have had no problems with it. I have not used it over the internet.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage User

I have a (stupid) question about the Remote Desktop hack. Do you install the new terminal server DLL on the machine you want to control remotely (the Sage box) or on the one doing the connecting? Or both?

The discussion in the article says that you have to create a different user account for connnecting remotely. Do you create this new account on the Sage box or the remote computer?

Thanks for any help.
Yamaha HTR-5920 | Energy Take 5.1 | Samsung LN32D450 via HDMI | Winegard Square Shooter
Old 04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

All the changes need to happen on the box you want to connect to (the sage box I assume).
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb
???
I am a little confused here. I to use RDP with the mod. You have to then create a new user to log on while the other user (Sage) is running. How does this allow you to "control" Sage?
I do everything but change Sage from the RDP user while the Sage user is logged on. When I want to fiddle with Sage specific settings, I kick the Sage user off, or I do it from the remote in front of the machine. This works in my house, ymmv.

edit: fixed typo

B