SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-01-2006, 02:24 PM

No dolby digital 5.1 output on DVDs

I can't seem to get my sound card to output DVD audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. My Yamaha receiver detects it only in stereo. I'm pretty sure it's not the receiver because it detects digital fine when used with my Yamaha DVD player.

I have a Realtek AC'97 integrated sound card with a digital optical output.

I tried playing DVD's in Windows Media Player, and they were also not ouptut in digital. I think it may be a Windows or sound configuration problem. I'm clueless when it comes to that stuff, can anybody help?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Sage Icon

What decoders are you using?

P
Old 04-01-2006, 02:56 PM

In my SageTV settings, under Audio:
Audio Renderer: Realtek AC97 Audio
MPEG2 Audio Decoder Filter: InterVideo Audio Decoder

under DVD
same settings as above for DVD Audio Renderer and DVD Audio Decoder Filter.

thanks,
Nate
Old 04-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Your problem has nothing to do with sage. Getting Dolby digital output can be tricky. I do not have your specific sound card so I can not help you with details. However, you should be able to find your answers here:
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10

You have a lot of reading to do
Good luck!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Sage Expert

Some or most of the decoders require a registry setting (or a utility to do the same) to enable AC3 (digitial sound) output.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Sage User

Usually it is a setting in the decoder's configuration page. Usually labeled something along the lines of SPDIF passthru. You want to make sure that box is checked in the intervideo decoder's configuration page. Usually you can get to it through windows media player, if there isn't a separate configuration tool.

Note: I don't use Intervideo, but both AC3Filter and Nvidia Purevideo have similar settings for SPDIF passthru.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Sage Icon

Unless they changed (doubtful), Intervideo's decoders won't pass AC3 outside of WinDVD. AC3 Filter is the way to go for free. NVIDIA for a modest cost.

P
Old 04-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Sage User

I also have the AC97. In the sound properties page for the Realtek AC97, look for the SPDIF tab and make sure its set to do Digital Output only, not Analog and Digital.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:09 PM

got it to work for DVDs, but ...

Thank you all for your help!

I downloaded AC3Filter (version 0.70 ... for some reason version 1.01 was causing DVD playback to freeze) and set it up to for SPDIF output. Then, I changed my DVD Audio Decoder Filter to AC3Filter in SageTV settings.

Now I have Dolby Digital output from both Sage and Windows Media Player to my receiver when playing DVDs!

One problem remains ... I have some Windows Media HD (WMVHD) files that are supposed to be encoded in 5.1 surround sound. When I play these files (either through Sage or WMP10), the computer is still outputting it plain stereo through the SPDIF out, and my receiver doesn't decode it into surround sound. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 04-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

The WMV HD clips I found, had the sound spec as:

Sound format : Windows Media Audio 9 Professional, 384 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit

P
Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
The WMV HD clips I found, had the sound spec as:

Sound format : Windows Media Audio 9 Professional, 384 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit

P
So ... what does this mean? How do I get it to pass thru S/PDIF from my sound card so it can be decoded in 5.1 by my AV receiver? Is this a different encoding than DVD audio?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Sage Icon

Just trying to provide some troubleshooting info...I don't use AC3 Filter.

P
Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by natec
So ... what does this mean? How do I get it to pass thru S/PDIF from my sound card so it can be decoded in 5.1 by my AV receiver? Is this a different encoding than DVD audio?
The only way you'll get surround sound with WMV HD is if your receiver supports it. It's NOT Digital Dolby and it's not DTS.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Bingo. That was a thought I had, but wasn't certain.

Thanks G,

P
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Have been struggling to get AC3 (through SPDIF) to work in Sage until I found this trick in the MediaPortal forum:

WinDVD 7 uses different registry settings to output SPDIF, here are the settings...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InterVideo\Common\AudioDec\SageTV]
"AUDIOCHAN"=dword:00000007
"AUDIO"=dword:00000006

/Kenneth
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwallin
Have been struggling to get AC3 (through SPDIF) to work in Sage until I found this trick in the MediaPortal forum:

WinDVD 7 uses different registry settings to output SPDIF, here are the settings...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InterVideo\Common\AudioDec\SageTV]
"AUDIOCHAN"=dword:00000007
"AUDIO"=dword:00000006

/Kenneth
Ok, I've tried this suggestion and I can see where the idea is a great one. I'm having a little trouble in getting it to work, namely theres no change afterwards. I'm attaching a screen cap so you can check on my work to verify its done correctly. What would you suggest I do next.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Sage Icon

Was that key there already, or did you add it? If added, get rid of Client at the end of SageTV. I can't remember if I tried this reg hack when I started out, but I could never get WinDVD to work...outside of WinDVD.

P
Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Was that key there already, or did you add it? If added, get rid of Client at the end of SageTV. I can't remember if I tried this reg hack when I started out, but I could never get WinDVD to work...outside of WinDVD.

P
Yes, the key was there, spelled as you see. I added the dwords 'audio' and 'audiochan'.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

Since you're doing passthrough, download and install the NVIDIA Trial and try this:

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...46&postcount=6

Try post #6

This is for S/PDIF Passthrough to a receiver with NVIDIA Decorders.

P
--------------------------------------------------------------

P
Old 04-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Since you're doing passthrough, download and install the NVIDIA Trial and try this?:P
Looks like a good idea, i'll give it a shot one day when I haven't had two glasses of wine. Thanks for the tip.