SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Larger Hard Disks Coming Soon

Should be very helpful when/if HD tuners become the norm...

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...RSS,RSS,00.asp
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Sage User

And in related news... Sector size going up...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6076
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Icon

2TB on 1 disc... Sounds great.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Sage Expert

Yeah, sign me up...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
The question is when. I would settle for a 1Tb 3.5 inch drive this year.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner
The question is when. I would settle for a 1Tb 3.5 inch drive this year.
Shoot, I'd settle for a *quiet* 500GB drive right now...

I made a mistake when I replaced my 160GB Samsung for the 250GB version. Even though SPCR says it's almost the same, it seems quite a bit louder to me...
Old 03-29-2006, 06:47 PM

The problem is that Magnetic recording technology is pettey much DEAD technology after all the new technology to be looking forword to is solid state technology which will be more durable and more robust data storage solution over magnetic type recording which is more pone to data corruption over time becuases of the moving parts which do wear out over time which is not going to extend the life of platter based drive any time soon, but need less to say the major problem with solid state it cost a lot cash just 250GB drive.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
I made a mistake when I replaced my 160GB Samsung for the 250GB version. Even though SPCR says it's almost the same, it seems quite a bit louder to me...
Even the 160GB was too loud for my taste. I had to build an aluminum sandwich and suspend it in a 5.25" drive bay before I was satisfied with the sound level.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

I hear you. I've got 3 drives in my LC-17...1 80, 1 300, and 1 400. The only thing I can hear are the drives...I'm not talking seeks, disc access, etc...but the motors themselves. If it weren't for that noise, I'd have a virtually slient rig

P
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
The problem is that Magnetic recording technology is pettey much DEAD technology after all the new technology to be looking forword to is solid state technology which will be more durable and more robust data storage solution over magnetic type recording which is more pone to data corruption over time becuases of the moving parts which do wear out over time which is not going to extend the life of platter based drive any time soon, but need less to say the major problem with solid state it cost a lot cash just 250GB drive.
The problem with flash memory, is the limited number of writes. Unless an OS is designed around this issue, a flash memory based hard drive would wear out in a matter of months, if not weeks.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
The problem with flash memory, is the limited number of writes. Unless an OS is designed around this issue, a flash memory based hard drive would wear out in a matter of months, if not weeks.
Different technologies. SHS isn't talking about those little flash drives. He's talking about hard drives made of NVRAM. They exist today in the very very very very very very.... very highend server market. They are a bit expensive (thousands for just a small hdd) and do not suffer from the problems that flash drives do, very different technologies.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 AM

Yup I'm ref to Military & Enterprise grade Solid State Drive
Old 04-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti
Actually this is a fairly good thing. The choice for the new sector size is actually the same size used for a page file on both Windows and Linux operating systems. What this means is that the hard drives is a now more efficient device for using the page files. For those that do not know, page files are basically the building blocks used to store "memory" on the hard drive, so that when things excede your total RAM, page files are what get used to hold the data that is still needed by programs. This makes overall usage of the system more efficient and should give a performance boost to many systems.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Sage Expert

Solid state tech is interesting, I belive magnetic hard drives are the limiting factor in increasing overall computer speed at the moment.

Samsung is developing "affordable" solid state disks aimed at the laptop market. http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/12/l...h-solid-state/
These (I belive) dont have the problems flash does, only so many writes, or using volatile ram as storage, you lose power its erased (this is TI's solution with automated HDD backup).

However, i bet they will still run well over $10/GB, compared to under .50 cents for a 400GB SATA drive.

So while we might be booting off SSDs soon, dont count on affordable storage for hdtv from them for a looooong while.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up Drive Noise..

Blade, are those drives really that noisy ? Maybe I'm just used to noise from cooling fans, I'm not sure. I have 300 & 400GB Seagate drives, and I'd never know they were there, but then again, I do have a lot of fan noise.
Re the nvram drives, aren't the ones being discussed like those that were stolen from PC's over in Afghanistan recently ?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
SageTVaholic

You know, Seagate has (or will have soon) a 750GB drive:
http://www.seagate.com/products/personal/barracuda.html

/drool

Apparently ~$500
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Seagate seems to be top dog out there right now. They seem to be the only one with Perpendicular drives out so far. Though they are only laptop drives and rather small at 80gb and 120gb...

Hopefully merging with Maxtor won't hurt their inovation...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
Hopefully merging with Maxtor won't hurt their inovation...
I hope so too. I've had really bad luck with Maxtor on more than one occasion. I'm using Seagate now and haven't had any problems (of course, now that I've typed this.......)
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00SE
Blade, are those drives really that noisy ? Maybe I'm just used to noise from cooling fans, I'm not sure. I have 300 & 400GB Seagate drives, and I'd never know they were there, but then again, I do have a lot of fan noise.
They aren't noisy. I just expect near total silence from my HTPC. So when I read a review or post saying something is quiet I don't expect to hear anything.

At 3 feet I can hear a very low hum from the 80mm Yate Loon fans running at 5v. My couch is 10 feet from my HTPC and it's inaudible from there. I can hear the birds and crickets chirping outside, but I don't hear anything from my HTPC when I'm on the couch.

Some people don't mind a little noise because it's drown out by the TV, but I sometimes study and read in my living room and don't want to be distracted by a noisy HTPC.