SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Sage User

Client Over Wan

Well I think I am the first to attempt this I am using the 15 day trial to see if I could stream my recorded shows and live TV over the internet. I have set up the SageTV server and it works great with the client connected on the LAN. On my remote location, the client will start up but many times I get the "the connection to the TV server has been lost..." error. I have plenty of bandwidth on both sides as the server is connected to a 155mbps fiber line while the remote client has a 15mbps fiber line. Just to make sure I had enough bandwidth, I did some ftp downloads from the server to the client and it went at 1.2MB/s. Using the client on the LAN only uses around .5-.6MB/s. The ping times to the server is less than 50ms with zero packet loss. The server is on a public IP address (no NAT) and has the proper ports forwarded. The client pc also has the same ports forwarded.

I have tried messing with the client_gc_period under the sageclient config and it has helped. Are there any other tweaks that I can do to allow sage to work with multiple hops and ping times over 10+ms?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Instead of using the regular client over the internet, have you looked into the Placeshifter client in the latest betas? (See the Beta Test forum section.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Sage User

Well my server isn't fast enough for placeshifting. The connection between the server and client is plenty of fast enough. There is some issue with the client and how the timeout is set. Is there any way to change the timeout or better adapt it for multiple hops on a network?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Set the Placeshifting client for no transcoding. You have a better chance of getting this working than trying to get the client meant for a LAN to work over a WAN.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Sage User

The placeshifting client worked, but I would still like to use the regular client until all the bugs are worked out. Is there any techical reason (IE in the JAVA code) that steaming over a WAN won't work? Is the 35ms delay between server and client too long?

Here is a speed test example:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 71.88Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 68.12Mb/s

Thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 03:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the client has shorter network timeouts than the placeshifter, so its not so much the bandwidth, but the latency...

However:
Quote:
remote client has a 15mbps fiber line.
...ftp downloads from the server to the client and it went at 1.2MB/s.
...running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 68.12Mb/s
1.2Mbytes/sec ~= 15Mbits/sec, so that makes sense
But how did you manage to get 68MB*/sec (either bits or bytes) over a 15mbit link?

In any case, 15mbit is really at the limit for streaming MPEG2 -- people have had problems streaming over 802.11b 11mbit WLANS...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Sage User

I got it working. I had to use a VPN tunnel between the server and client. The vpn tunnels 2x the bandwith, but Sagetv is only using 1MB/s.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Sage User

Could you elaborate on how to set this up? I have the exact same problems you descibe in the beginning of this thread and would LOVE to get it to work.

Thank you,

JT
Old 03-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Sage User

I used OpenVPN to connect both machines, and used the vpn server's IP address to connect using Sage Client.