SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Probably no homebuilt CableCard Solutions

Just read this in an article

"Although as a platform Vista has been approved by CableLabs at this point, an important step that will still be necessary for the PC/CableCARD reality is CableLab's approval for finshed individual OEM PCs as well. Although Vista has been approved, OEMs will in fact still need to get their individual machines certified by CableLabs as well. Central to this certification according to Jim is the idea of a 'protective path.'"
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Even though I have D* and not cable - Count me in as someone that will be very very angry if this is the case. I just built someone a very very expensive media server in hopes of being able to upgrade it to cablecard when it comes out. Since ATI plans on selling retail cablecard solutions I'll keep a glimmer of hope alive. There shouldn't be a need to certify whole systems, they should really just certify core components, mobo, video and sound are really the only ones I can think of that should matter at all.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
That's really interesting. It sounds as if the hardware we use is being phased out. The mention of cableboxes being one of those pieces disturbs me.
Quote:
Anyone who wants access to HD digital cable has to play by their rules to get a license, which means that they can require a "protected path" system in TVs, PCs, and DVRs.
How long can the DIY community stay in 2006 while television moves forward? One can take peace from the fact that if it can be seen or heard, it can be recorded.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
There shouldn't be a need to certify whole systems, they should really just certify core components, mobo, video and sound are really the only ones I can think of that should matter at all.
I agree! If I can't build my own HTPC, Then I will not even upgrade to Vista. I have not bought a prebuilt PC (other than a laptop) since 1997. Even the thought of buying an HP makes me feel sick.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Since ATI plans on selling retail cablecard solutions I'll keep a glimmer of hope alive.
Are they really gonna have a retail card? I read it as ATI will be providing these cards to MCE machines which will tune DirecTV.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:46 PM

Are all paying cloase attention not only will you need an approved system with certification by CableLabs you also need approved new monitor .
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
you also need approved new monitor
I have an HDMI connection on the back of my TV luckily.
;-)
Old 01-31-2006, 12:55 PM

It have to support HDCP "High Definition Content Protocol" if it dose not then your SOL mike

Last edited by SHS; 01-31-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think the thing folks (us) are failing to realize is that the networks don't view cablecard, etc. as a chance to expand existing market share. They don't view it as a chance to provide more choice or better service to customers. They DO view it as a chance (perhaps their last) to have TOTAL CONTROL over their copyrighted property.

They don't want innovation, don't want to give consumers flexibility, etc. They ONLY want to make a profit somewhere EVERY TIME their 'content' is viewed, period. They believe if they are footing the bill providing the updated hardware for the switch to digital TV, then they ought to have control over how it is used. Anything else is just a token attempt to make it look like they are 'trying to be on the consumers side'.

Frankly, I'm not buying it. Heck, with new technologies based around the way in which cell phones re-use frequency there flat isn't a need to even switch to digital TV like is claimed. We (country as a whole) view things as thougth we still need to "free up" spectrum. True in the analog world (am and fm radio), utterly false in the digital world (TDMA, CDMA, and other cell phone technologies that routinely re-use bandwith). Even satellite systems are heading toward frequency re-use. I use "Wildblue" for my satellite internet provider. They are a 'spot beam' system, which just means that they shoot their sat beams just like a cell tower transmits in overlapping 'cells' allowing efficient frequency usage.

Nope, don't need cablecard. I'll just enjoy HD via OTA and firewire, thank you.

-Rant Off- Frustration stuck ON

-PGPfan
Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cablecard is starting to sound more and more like a 1200 lbs gorrilla that nobody needs in their homes vista as well with all the DRM and the must have hdmi for HDVD playback in HD and HDCP for cablecard if that is correct their gonna have a lot pissed angry consumers out their frothing over needing all new Displays and such especialy thoughs who just bought new displays and HDTV's in the last couple years.

Ya know this is what happens when big money runs the country it's worse than mob rule (twist on FDR quote

It's all about power and control: They have all the power now they want all the control as well. And it's never a last chance for them not when they have been fighting last chance battles over this for over 200 years.
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

FYI:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=vista
Old 01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89

Still don't make me feel like running out to buy all the cablecard and vista hardware or big high priced OEM systems just for Cable HD. I think i may just sit back and wait on this one. Milk the SD and OTA till I haven't a choice anymore then maybe stick my head on a block and let some old french guy lop it off instead. End up about the same place as these jokers are leading us lifeless just a little quicker and less painfull the other way LOL.
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 01-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Sage Icon

1. Call me crazy, but to me, my analog cable plugged into my PVR500 gives me a "Good Enough" picture to catch up with "Numb3rs" on CBS.

2. If I *really* want a great picture, OTA HD or DVD looks "Good Enough".

3. Anyone who's been in the satellite "hobby" from the beginning, knows that anything can be viewed...I'm not too worried about Vista/Cable Card.

4. I have the Total Choice mack daddy package...I end up watching mostly stuff I can get on a regular cable feed...plus Netflix.

P
Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
1. Call me crazy, but to me, my analog cable plugged into my PVR500 gives me a "Good Enough" picture to catch up with "Numb3rs" on CBS.

2. If I *really* want a great picture, OTA HD or DVD looks "Good Enough".

3. Anyone who's been in the satellite "hobby" from the beginning, knows that anything can be viewed...I'm not too worried about Vista/Cable Card.

4. I have the Total Choice mack daddy package...I end up watching mostly stuff I can get on a regular cable feed...plus Netflix.

P
Crazy!!

You haven't heard of the entertainment industries quest to plug the analog hole or (Anal-log hole) have you? They haven't given up on that one nor have they given up on the BF quest either.

Trust me if they get their way they will have us all plugged up so tight that nobodies gonna be able to take a bump without paying them up front ( or behind for that matter)

And yeah theirs ways around this but that just means they will keep trying and at the very least make it more and more expensive for the rest while doing so.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
This and the fact that Microsoft is using DRM licenseing as a way to filter out hobbyists and small companies and it dosn't look good for any of us. Im willing to bet that that ATI solution too will only work on approved systems as well. They may not completely eliminate hobbyists but its going to start to get to be extremely expensive to maintain http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/30...m_licensi.html
Old 02-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin
This and the fact that Microsoft is using DRM licenseing as a way to filter out hobbyists and small companies and it dosn't look good for any of us. Im willing to bet that that ATI solution too will only work on approved systems as well. They may not completely eliminate hobbyists but its going to start to get to be extremely expensive to maintain http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/30...m_licensi.html
Does MS think anyone other than hobbyists will go this route? Most JSP will go with whatever box the Cableco or Satco delivers.

Hobbyists will be the ONLY ones in this market for a LONG TIME.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Sage Expert

Isn't this against anti-monopoly laws? At the very least it seems extremely anticompetitive. If this becomes reality, all HTPC vendors (software, hardware, websites) would need to band together and make some noise, I think. Anyway, there is a large developing market outside the US (even north and south of it), MS and the cable companies can be as conservative against innovation as they want, Sage and its competitors will always have a market, they will just have to redirect it, I guess.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
Isn't this against anti-monopoly laws? .
I just can't believe that M$ would have any interest in circumventing anti-monopoly laws. <yeah, RIGHT!>

I'd still like to know what/how much it cost them to buy off the DOJ several years back.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
I'd still like to know what/how much it cost them to buy off the DOJ several years back.
I don't know, but there problems seemed to vanish once Bush took office.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
Isn't this against anti-monopoly laws? At the very least it seems extremely anticompetitive. If this becomes reality, all HTPC vendors (software, hardware, websites) would need to band together and make some noise, I think. Anyway, there is a large developing market outside the US (even north and south of it), MS and the cable companies can be as conservative against innovation as they want, Sage and its competitors will always have a market, they will just have to redirect it, I guess.
I'd certainly like to se more competition as well, not to mention a truly open PVR architecture. The only thing I'd like to point out is a missconception people make all the time in reference to Microsoft. People think that somehow a "monopoly" is against the law. It isn't. Infact the law supports it, and makes provisions to establish one. That is what patents are intended to do, provide a time limited 'monopoly' to the creator of a device. What IS illegal, is the use of illegal means to MAINTAIN that monopoly. Everyone knows, and agrees that Microsoft HAS a monopoly, what they were found guilty of was using illegal methods (like bundling of IE in windows 98, etc) to keep it.

-PGPfan

-PGPfan