SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-30-2006, 03:00 PM

Custom guides/channels?

I am seriously looking at SageTV. I have one question that I can't seem to find the answer to. Does SageTV allow the user to setup custom guides with customized channel listings?

For instance, I want to setup a guide that doesn't show any of the channels I hate (Lifetime, Hallmark, TLC, Food Network... and so on) and only show the channels that I like. Then setup another [seperate] guide for my wife. Then setup another [seperate] guide for my son... and so on. Does SageTV have this option?

I only frequent eight or ten channels and I don't want to scroll through all 100+ channels just to see what's on my favorite channels.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-
Old 01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
In short, Yes and No.

Yes, you can turn off any channel you don't want listed in the Guide.
No, you can't have separate guides, as SageTV doesn't do profiles the way your thinking.

Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

I wrote a plugin that will do this for the standard guide. It is in the downloads section but I have not started a thread yet because I still think it needs some work. I want to change where they are configured from by default to the Customize tab in Detailed setup. I just haven't figured out how to add it to the menu yet. The current version just adds it to the main menu which if you have added other imports or customized it with Studio may cause my menu entry to appear off the screen and become unselecteable. That is why I am trying to add it to Detailed setup. Hopefully that version will be done later this week/weekend. Anyway if you want to check out the current version look at "FavoriteChannelListsv0.5" in the Download section of this forumn.

BobP.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
I wrote a plugin that will do this for the standard guide. It is in the downloads section but I have not started a thread yet because I still think it needs some work. I want to change where they are configured from by default to the Customize tab in Detailed setup. I just haven't figured out how to add it to the menu yet. The current version just adds it to the main menu which if you have added other imports or customized it with Studio may cause my menu entry to appear off the screen and become unselecteable. That is why I am trying to add it to Detailed setup. Hopefully that version will be done later this week/weekend. Anyway if you want to check out the current version look at "FavoriteChannelListsv0.5" in the Download section of this forumn.

BobP.
YES!! Can you also tie it into parental controls? I would love to be able to limit the MVPs in the kids' rooms from watching certain channels altogether, but have the ability to tune in with the right code. Tivo does that well.

Thanks,

B
Old 01-30-2006, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
YES!! Can you also tie it into parental controls? I would love to be able to limit the MVPs in the kids' rooms from watching certain channels altogether, but have the ability to tune in with the right code. Tivo does that well.

Thanks,

B
Yes that is included. You won't see that option unless Parental Controls are enabled. Once they are you can create a custom list and restrict that instance of the SageTV Client to only display those channels. The documentation is a little out of date that I included in the zip file but I have updated the STVi to be configured from the setup menu. If you get the version 0.6 zip file. To access the channel setup menu the hidden extras must be turned on. Just turn them off when done to prevent access or better yet install NIELM's dynamic menu and prevent access to the setup menu entirely. Also worthy of mentioning is that the menu itself is locked down if you restrict the EPG display and have parental controls turned on unless you know the "Parental Lock Code" the menu will be just an empty display with two menu entries - "Back" and "Unlock". This means that it will be safe to create a menu entry to it from NIELM's dynamic menus the kids would then need to know the "Parental Lock Code" to display the full screen.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 01-30-2006 at 04:48 PM.