SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Sage Icon

Linux OEM & Mediaready 5000

Will a Mediaready 5000 work as a client to a Linux OEM Sage server? I'm in the process of setting up a server for a customer, and rather than setting up PC's at his HD TV's, I'd rather use something like the MR5000 box. Does the linux software version on that system work with the Linux OEM version that we would be buying from Sage now?

While I realize that the MR5000 box would be an expensive STV Client machine (since it's really made to be a stand-alone PVR), for this particular customer, money would definitely be NO object...
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
You can't install the current linux oem cd on the mediaready but you might be able to update the Sage.jar on it and use it as a client. You can find another thread on that subject. Another option could be to use a sagetv media extender.

_Demo_
Old 01-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Sage Icon

Now I'm wondering if anybody out there with a Mediaready 5k is using it on a Sage 4.1.x server as a client. If it works with the newest Sage, and all the extra bells & whistles on that box also work, I'll definitely have a solution for my customer, and may very well pick up one of those boxes for me .
Old 01-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

Since the MR5000 has tuners, I wouldn't waste them by using it as a client. Instead find out if you can configure it as a slave server/network encoder to the server you build. According to Narflex in a recent post, the next point release will allow you to restrict recording on a network encoder to its local drives to cut down network traffic and it will stream any of these local recordings directly to the requesting client instead of transferring the file to the main server for streaming.

You would still be able to use the box as if it were a client but get the benefit of the extra tuners.

I don't know how all this works with the MR5000 or the linux OEM but it seems to be a better use for another system with the full version and tuners.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
You can't install the current linux oem cd on the mediaready but you might be able to update the Sage.jar on it and use it as a client. You can find another thread on that subject. Another option could be to use a sagetv media extender.

_Demo_
Any particular reason why you can't put the Linux OEM on a MR 5000? Drivers, hardware?

The reason I ask is mine got trashed over vacation. I got back to find the media drive full, it wasn't deleting anything, and it trashed HDa7 (where the media is stored) and I get an error message when booting up.
It won't record anything, won't shut down properly (have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to do a hard shutdown)

It's very possible that it's my own fault for messing with it and putting the PC version of the Sage.jar on it. Maybe from my experiments trying to get the Beta's running on it.
So now my options are: wait for the restore CD which VWB said was "almost ready" back in October, or put my backup drive in it. At least I was smart enough to use "dd" to make a backup of the drive before I started messing with it.

I called VWB and they still don't have a restore CD available, and according to them there's supposed to be a patch very soon. Unfortunately it's still not going to allow it to work with the PC version of Sage. So I was thinking of getting the OEM version and loading that on it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
The MR5000 version uses custom drivers and features which are not included in the linux oem cd.

_Demo_
Old 02-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
The MR5000 version uses custom drivers and features which are not included in the linux oem cd.

_Demo_
Bummer, looks like I'll have to re-image the original drive from my "backup" drive I made.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:41 PM

waynedunham,

You may want to contact VWB again; I do believe a restore CD is available.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiebe
waynedunham,

You may want to contact VWB again; I do believe a restore CD is available.
Well according to the tech I talked to, who "said" he asked David Novak directly and was told that it was in the works, but not ready for release yet.

I do plan on contacting VWB and seeing what's happening. Right now I'm NOT a happy camper since the thing is a complete boat anchor with the messed up partition.

I haven't had any time to do anything with it on my own in the last week or so.