SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-31-2003, 11:09 AM
Sage User

Audio is in Spanish...

I was having a problem with my 250 pvr recordings being corrupted. I updated the driver to the latest on Hauppauge's site (PVR250_17_21199.exe) and the corruption problem was solved, but now on TBS, the second audio program (SAP) in spanish is being recorded along with the english audio. I've been experimenting with a way to fix it, and starting the WinTV app, turning off the SAP, then closing WinTV before starting Sage seems to prevent it, but you have to do this every time the computer starts. Is there any other way to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Sage

In the Sage.properties file set:
mmc/feature_mask_disable=8

That should fix it. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Sage User

Jeff,
Thanks, I put that line in the file. Unfortunately only some shows carry the SAP so I'll have to wait till the next time it records one of them to see the results.

Cheers,
BB
Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Sage User

Jeff,
That did not work. Still having the SAP problem. Does it matter where in the file the line goes? Any other info?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Sage

Are you using a cable box/satellite receiver or the tuner on the capture card?

If you watch that same program live, is the audio OK? (maybe your cable company's broadcasting it wrong, always good to eliminate this as the problem)
Old 09-05-2003, 04:03 AM
SageTVaholic

I noticed this also when I had the output going to waveout. (Was using Sonic audio decoder) After I changed it to directsound device this problem went away.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Narflex,

For what it's worth, I get SAP also even after maunally changing "mmc/feature_mask_disable=8".

I go into Sage properties and sure enough, it is set to 8. When I restart, the SAP is gone. It only shows up on 1 or 2 channels, my Channels #8 & 9 here in dallas. There's also a post somewhere about changin xxx=2050 to xxx=2058. Did that 1 also.

The problem occurs when the computer goes into standby mode late at nite. I wake it up when I get home the next nite - say 6pm-ish. I don't record daytime TV, so no big deal, the computer being asleep. Although sometimes Jerry Springer is an absolute riot. I digress

The cure is to manually exit Sage and restart it. This will re-init the value of 8, causing there to be no SAP.

If it's been on for a few days without a shutdown, thats when I find the SAP on.

I'm still using v1.3.8 until I am positive that the crackle/pop distortion issue is resolved in v1.4.10. I also have extended cable piped via RG6 into the back of the PVR - i.e., no cable box tuner.

-Cab
Old 09-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Sage User

Jeff,

I'm using the tuner on the 250, not a cable box or sat box.

The SAP is there in recordings and also there when I watch the channel live thru Sage.

If I watch on a TV that's getting the cable feed directly, the audio is correct, so the cable company is broadcasting it properly. Also, if I launch WinTV and watch TV thru it, the audio is correct. The affected channels are Fox and TBS.

As a test I moved the line to the end of the file, exited Sage and restarted it, and the audio was corrected. I set it to record several shows that have been showing the problem so I'll check tonight to see whether they recorded properly or not.

Thanks,

BBR
Old 09-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Sage User

I just checked the recordings, and the SAP is back. In fact, in one episode of The Simpsons, the audio recorded properly for the first half of the show, then the Spanish kicks in halfway thru and stays for the rest of the show. All subsequent recordings of shows also have the Spanish. It seems the setting reverts at some point and all the recordings after that are ruined. Is there any way to get Sage to keep the 'no SAP' setting locked in?

Thanks.

Last edited by bigblue; 09-08-2003 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

This apparently happens only with the 1.7 version of the Sage driver. I just upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7, and experienced this problem for the first time. If I manually edit Sage.properties, I can fix the problem. HOWEVER, if I put Sage to sleep, then awaken it, it reverts to using SAP. I also noticed that Sage reverts ALOT of its settings after being put to sleep. For example, if I change the fill mode, that reverts after being put to sleep also. IMO, this is a gigantic bug.

Also, as soon as I upgraded to 1.7, I discovered the video quality problems that people were reporting. Suddenly, I could see pixelation, particularly in low-lit scenes where the light changes gradually. You can see the bands of light moving across the screen.

I am becoming concerned with the number of problems that I have encountered and have heard of lately, and wonder if there's some systemic issue at play.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Corykim,

Please see the following post:
http://www.freytechnologies.com/foru...&threadid=1482

I have had similar problems as you, especially driver issues with Hauppage. I do not have any statistical data, yet, but I think something happened in ver 1.17+ drivers vs the 1.16 ones. The upgrade has reeked havoc on sageTV.
I ended up reverting back to ver 1.16 WinPVR drivers and v 1.3.8 version of SageTV.

If you upgrade to ver 1.17+ Hauppauge drivers AND ver 1.4.10 ver SageTV - be prepared for some *possible* problems:

Some report audio static/crackle/pop/snap at channel changes (me)
Others just add a line about fast_mux=false and this cures the above. Still others it did nothing at all. Your mileage will vary, all rights reserved.
Some ppl have pixelation issues. Others its fine.
Some have problems with SageTV NOT remebring values you store in it - video settings, etc. It reverts back to old data (me also).

Now, I'm not a registered scientition by anymeans, but something is afowl with ver 1.4.10 Sage and ver 1.17+ drivers. I'm not sure if Frey can find it, yet. But their is something going on for *some* ppl. Maybe it's only a minority, or maybe others do not know about this forum and do not post.
No slight to Frey, but my wife is a software tester, actually she leads their QA dept. I do know a little about software validation. Frey can't catch everything in the wilde. It's just part of the software update cycle.

I would ask the moderators to start a forum topic that is just a Poll of the ppl with the above problems. I'm curious if its my system alone, or are other ppl having the same *difficulties*.

-Cab
Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 PM

Almost every item brought up here are related to the Hauppauge drivers and not Sage. Sage has no control over the Hauppauge drivers. Go check out the SHS site. You can see the full history of these issues popping up and others being fixed with each release of the 1.17 drivers. If the 1.16 drivers work for you stick with them. The 1.17 don't add any new features, they just try and fix previous problems.

Personally I have found a 1.17 that does not go to SAP. Keep in mind there are several different 1.17 drivers. All are beta except the new 21199 release drivers. Those went SAP on me though, but I never got a chance to try the Sage workaround for it. There is a particular release of 1.17 that always went to SAP.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

mlbdude,

no, I 'm not so sure it's all related to the Hauppauge driver revisions as you claim.
It's way to early to blame it all on Hauppauge.

Here's my thoughts:

1) Hauppauge driver revision above ver 1.16 lead some to an audio glitch on channel change in ver 1.4.9+ sageTV AND/OR hearing SAP in ver 1.3.8 sageTV when using ver 1.17+ Hauppage drivers on ceretain channels.

2) Avance AC97 (on board audio) could be the probelm with SFF's that have limited IRQ assignement??

3) Something happened in the code of ver 1.4. + sageTV that created a problem that did NOT exist prior to that code release.

The thing is, statistically, your sample size is not large enough for you, or me, or quite frankly anybody to blanket say that Hauppage drivers are at fualt. The Frey folks are doing a great job at keeping up with the forums, talking with ppl and getting problems figured out/corrected. If anyone can do it, they can. Period.

The problem with this forum is, the hap-hazardly strewn posts. Some ppl could have the same problem or different ones all togther, because their posts are a) in another section, b) time passes and their posts go unanswered, c) their posts get answered with bogus information, so they never post a follow-up saying if it worked or not, d) could be 2 unrelated posts under same topis, so by the time u get to bottom of topic, everyone forgot what the topic was to start off!

I am just trying to synthesize a slew of data over 6 sections over the last 2 months -trying to get apples to apples to find a solution to the problems outlined above.

The case is still open on what's going on here. Honestly, more Data is needed to squash this anoying little foeble. People most post in 1 comman area to be effectively helped.

-Cab
Old 09-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Sage User

Well, for me, at least, using pvr250_16_21062.exe drivers for the cards with version 1.4.10 of SageTV has not caused any problems, as far as I could tell. Recording quality is as nice as ever, and sound works just fine for me, either live or not, and works just fine via SageTVClient, as well, except for an annoying "hey, you still have licenses checked out!"-type thing that makes SageTVClient not able to reconnect if I kill it using the task manager for responding too slowly...

Sounds like some of the optimizations done in the driver in the 1.7 release doesn't agree with SageTV 1.4.10 at all. (Both the driver and SageTV now expects the other to remember all settings, perhaps?)

In any case, looks like this particular driver is a "major upgrade," given the installation instructions. (Specifically, the parts about removing all traces of previous drivers, etc.) So things like backward compatibility doesn't look to be a major concern. This could also explain why the registry keys for the Intervideo decoders got wiped out, resulting in blocky pictures... Wonder what the new decoder expects for hardware acceleration?

Doesn't the Happauge guys talk to the SageTV guys at all? Seems like a rather big change like this would've made them tell people over here, or at least given advance beta copies of the drivers for testing... Oh. Guess I'm rambling. I'll waddle off the box now.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I reverted to the 1.6B drivers, and my problems are now history. Pixelation, channel-change pop, and SAP are gone.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:16 AM

Unfortunately Hauppauge is not know for good drivers The easiest way to test if something is driver related or not is to try to duplicate it with WinTV that comes with the card. So far WinTV has duplicated all of these issues for me.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Narflex,

You've been rather silent for this topic since your post on 09-04-2003 08:42 PM.

Whats your take on the interrelation of Hauppauge driver vers and and SageTV?

I'm guessing that Hauppauge gives you guys no help whatsoever, even tho, if it wasn't for SageTV, Hauppauge would probably lose 1/2 of their card sales. Seriosly. SageTV is that good!

Just would like to hear from the creators.

- Cab

PS I still think the audio pop on channel change might be more of the Avance AC 97 drivers, not a Hauppauge issue. Ver 1.16 to ver 1.17+ Haup drivers work in ver 1.3.8 of sageTV for this chipset. But ver 1.4.10 and Avance just dont mix. The only problem with v1.17 Haup drivers on 1.3.8 is the SAP issue - with the Avance AC97 chipset. hmmm
Old 09-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Sage User

coreykim,

Where can i find the drivers that solved the SAP problem for you? It's really a drag that I can't keep the SAP turned off.

Thanks,
BBR.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Sage

Since there wasn't any changes made to Sage that would affect that part since 1.3 (and I've looked a bunch of times), and there's lots of cases where people say its the driver, I'm leaning more towards this being some kind of driver issue.

The audio pop is another story. There were enhancements made since 1.3 that will reduce the amount of lag time between encode & decode. The pops have always been there, but they used to be hidden better due to that lag time being bigger.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblue
coreykim,

Where can i find the drivers that solved the SAP problem for you? It's really a drag that I can't keep the SAP turned off.

Thanks,
BBR.
The installation CD that comes with the Hauppauge card contains 1.6B.

For other version try

ftp://216.234.188.64/download/wintv-...g%20wdm%20drv/

I am using 17_21065 and do not get SAP issues. I have tried the latest ones but they went SAP. 21065 never has. I notice 21065 is not in that FTP site. They were previously listed on Hauppauges site as beta drivers. If I find a download for them I will post that.

Good luck.