SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Sage Expert

improve picture quality

I've got Sage workig and the tv picture is close to the picture I get from the cable box, not quite as good yet, but getting there...what do I do next to move this along..?

Dscaler? Non interlace?

Overclock?

Gary
Old 01-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

What capture card are you using? If Hauppauge, the tweaker program (or Christweak) will allow you to set static and dynamic blur settings. I use static=1, and dynamic=6. Sharpness in Sage is set at 3/4 (192).

P
Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks..I download the christweak program, but do not see an static or dynamic blur settings.

I have a Hauppauge 150 card. Nvidia 6200 card. No overclocking, yet and I am not using Dscaler or FFDshow, yet. This playing to a receiver through S-video to a HD TV. One setting I don't understand is progressive scan vs. interlaced. My TV is progressive scan. Not sure if that make a difference here..

The problem now is that the faces are a little redder than they should be and the colors in general are a little too bright and blurred.

Also, motion is a little burred..

All in all, not a bad picture, just video through the cable box is a little "softer" and better.

Thanks for any help.

Gary

NEO 4 Platinum motherboard, Anthlon Venice core 3200+ prossessor
(2) SATA 2 drives (250GB's, 16MB buffer) running on SATA 1 interface because the SATA 2 won't recognize them. Windows XP SP2. 1GB Dual memory
Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Sage Icon

Using Svideo on an hdtv is not the best option, doesn't your 6200 support component output??
Old 01-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
If Hauppauge, the tweaker program (or Christweak) will allow you to set static and dynamic blur settings. I use static=1, and dynamic=6. Sharpness in Sage is set at 3/4 (192).
Quesiton: I have WinTV PVR 150, what is the difference between using SageTV software to tune my WinTV settings verses this tool?

Also, when I play with the sharpness settting on the Tunner through SageTV menu, I have not noticed any differences in sharpness going from 0 to 255 settings. Other settings work like brightness, etc. But not sharpness - maybe I am doing something wrong.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, I have Component output....But I do not have a wide screen tv. Thus, for normal viewing I use Svideo. So, I don't get the bars...I need to learn to stretch 16:9 to a 4:3 screen...

Any help there would be good.. : )
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Sage Icon

I only use Tweaktools or Christweak (basically the same thing...they expose the same controls) to tweak the filtering for encoding and playback. I use Sage for Brightness, Contast, etc... I agree, I don't see a difference in sharpness when using the Sage control...don't know why. Sage or Hauppauge might know. You can set a universal filtering setting on the last tab of CT, but on the tab that lists the cards, you can set each one individually (drop down box's). I do both and then do it in Tweaktool also...making sure all settings are the same in both programs...just the routine I use to ensure everything "sticks".

P

P.S. Sage will allow you to set different "stretch" options, by %'s, In the Setup section...go Component

Last edited by Polypro; 01-24-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
I use Sage for Brightness, Contast, etc... I agree, I don't see a difference in sharpness when using the Sage control...don't know why. Sage or Hauppauge might know.
Anyone here know why the Sharpness adjustment doesnt work on the WinTV tunner when using SageTV to adjust the tunner?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Anyone here know why the Sharpness adjustment doesnt work on the WinTV tunner when using SageTV to adjust the tunner?
Not sure why Sage hasn't addressed this problem... It's been mentioned numerous times.

The fact that some people feel they need running other tweak utilities just to get the best from their capture card is annoying too. Sage should have a more comprehensive adjustment section that unlocks all the possibilities of your capture card.

At least that's what I think.

Last edited by Wheemer; 01-30-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis
Yes, I have Component output....But I do not have a wide screen tv. Thus, for normal viewing I use Svideo. So, I don't get the bars...I need to learn to stretch 16:9 to a 4:3 screen...

Any help there would be good.. : )
Trying to understand...

1. Do you think component = wide screen?

2. Why would you want to stretch your picture?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Sage Expert

AMG..I'll show my ignorance, but here goes...

I have an HDTV that is 4:3..when I put anything through component, it comes out as a 16:9 picture..thus black bars on top and bottom. That is when I use the 1080I resolution.

Since I would rather watch Svideo on 4:3 than component on 16:9, I use Svideo...would be nice if I could get 4:3 when using component. The TV also has 480I and 480P settings if that helps.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited by garyellis; 02-02-2006 at 03:29 PM.