SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge MediaMVP Extender Freezing Problem

I have been using two MediaMVP's with SageTV v2.28 via Matt's "Streams.ch" MVP Client for several months without any problems. I was waiting to upgrade to version 4 of SageTV until v4.10 was released, so I could use the integrated MediaMVP Extender support. I had been using a second PC just to run a SageTV client to feed the MediaMVPs. (And Yes, I did purchase two Client Licenses just for the MediaMVP's, just in case you were wondering.) When I noticed that version 4.1 had been released, I immediately purchased two Media Extender Licenses for the Hauppauge! MediaMVP's because I didn't want to wait for a response with faxing the "Affidavit of Destruction for Client" license, and besides, I felt that I would probably find a use for the other two old client licenses for something else. Regardless, I decided I would upgrade, so I backed the SageTV Server up and took the SageTV client (MediaMVP's) server offline. I then installed the SageTV v4.1 download and proceeded with the setup.

I verified that the "SageTV Server" was ENABLED and verified that the "Media Extended Server" was ENABLED. The setup and everything on the server side worked perfectly, so I then proceeded to enter my newly obtained MediaMVP client licenses via the "RegisterSageTVMediaExtenderLicenses" Shortcut. Then I restarted the computer waited until everything was up and running and then plugged in one of the Hauppauge! MediaMVP's. It would get stuck on the "Starting Application..." (Revision "D3A") status line. I then tried the other MediaMVP that I had (Revision "E1") and it would get stuck right after the 4th of the 5 segment status bar graph was filled.

I then did all my research to determine the problem, read the forums, etc.... This is a summary of what has been about a 8 hour trial and error process.

The network is simple and there isn't any problems with anything obtaining an IP or transferring data. I did try several different networking settings including 10baseT 10Mbps Half-Duplex, all to no avail.

I tried all possible combinations of 3D Acceleration, Overlay, VM9, Video Decoders, Audio Decoders, etc. but nothing fixed the problem and the MediaMVP's would stick at the exact same spot everytime.

(Please note that I always shut down SageTV and reboot the computer between each change, to help eliminate any other possible variables. I also keep the power wire to the Hauppauge MediaMVP's unplugged at all times except for the exact instant that I am ready to test that specific scenerio. I also only tested one MediaMVP at a time, never were both connected to the network at the same time.)

After I had determined that nothing was really helping the situation, I began to try doing the above settings with the "SageTVServiceControl.exe" shortcut setup to run the SageTV Server as a service. The background service was running perfectly, however the MediaMVP's would still stick at the exact same spot. So I felt pretty confident that I could rule out any relationship with the backgound services option.

So I then I decided that I had better test the MediaMVP's to verify they were still functioning properly. So I disabled the SageTV "Media Extender Server" option in the "Detailed Setup/Advanced Options" and put the Matt's "Streams.ch" MVP Client server secondary computer back online, upgraded it to SageTV v4.10 Client and updated Matt's "Streams.ch" MVP Client to the latest version 1.30 (SageTVmvp-1.3.0.zip). This worked perfectly and both of my MediaMVP's loaded right up and was able to see the new style menus and the video played back perfectly! (By the way, this is what I am currently using for the MediaMVP's until hopefully the the Media Extender issue can be fixed.)

But after having that success with Matt's "Streams.ch" MVP Client I felt that I had better double check that I hadn't overlooked anything with the SageTV server v4.1 Media Extender setup. So I took the SageTV client (MediaMVP's) server offline again and reconfigured the SageTV Servers "Detailed Setup/Advanced/Media Extender Server" to ENABLED. Then I started all the testing again.

I did not have any success. However, I did learn a few things that might be of interest to someone for some unknown reason:

The "Detailed Setup/Advanced/SageTV Server" option appears to be effective immediately upon setting the option to "ENABLED".
However, the "Detailed Setup/Advanced/Media Extender Server" option appears to not become effective until you exit the SageTV program and reload it.

Not that either of the above have any bearing on my predicament, since I always shut down the program and reboot the computer between each of my operations, I just thought someone might find it interesting or useful.

Here is what I do know for certain:
-----------------------------------
There is always about 5.5 MBytes of data transfered from the SageTV Server to the MediaMVP.
There is always about 360 kByles of data received from the MediaMVP by the SageTV Server.

The Hauppauge! MediaMVP (Rev D3A) always freezes where it says "Starting Application..." or on the newer version of the MediaMVP (Rev E1) it always freezes after the 4th of the 5 bar status graph is filled (I believe this is the same "Starting Application..." stage, since it transfers the exact same amount of data back and forth from the SageTV Server.)

I am sorry this message is so long, however I wanted to rule out any of the false starts that can sometimes seem so simple, and hopefully give someone some insight into what I have tried so they can hopefully give me some ideas on what I haven't tried.

I personally feel that the application that is being loaded into the MediaMVP is crashing or freezing up. I have let it run for hours waiting to see if anything happens, but it never becomes unfrozen. I have checked the network and tried using a different router, and different cables, etc.... but nothing seems to fix the problem. Right now I can use everything the way it is, by just putting the secondary PC with Matt's "Streams.ch" MVP Client running online and DISABILING the "Media Extender Server" option in the "Detailed Setup/Advanced Options" of the SageTV Server.

I really want to get the SageTV Server Media Extender integrated feature working with my Hauppauge MediaMVP's, so any help or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!

My SageTV Server:
-----------------
Windows 2000 (completely updated with all SP's and updates)
1GB RAM/Four IDE Hard Drives approx. 600GB/Sempron 2400
Two Hauppauge! 500's and One 150 Tuner Card (all of which receive standard analog cable via coax)
Static IP of 192.168.1.24 on a simple 100baseT network

Notes: All hardware checks out 100% error free (and all drivers are updated to the newest stable versions, except for the Hauppauge! Capture cards--I didn't want to upgrade them, since they are working perfectly as is.)

This exact setup has been running the lastest version of SageTV 2 (2.28 I believe) for several months without any problems. I have been using Matt's "Streams.ch" MVP Client without any problems on the same two Media MVP's which I am having problems with now.

Version Notes:
--------------
SageTV v4.1.3.67
Sun JAVA 1.5.0_06
Current STV File: SageTV3.xm (version 4.1.3.1 Dec 15, 2005)

Last edited by 2FarGone; 12-17-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I agree you are not alone. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling EVERYTHING Sage related to no avail. Works flawlessly with Matt's client and crashes everytime with "built in" client. I am tired of trying so I am going back to Matt's til Sage addresses the issue. I sent in something to tech support but have not got a response as of yet. I expect something shortly since they are usually pretty responsive. They may be getting overwhelmed with issues with this release and extender support.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:03 PM

Do this in the Command Prompt by type in ipconfig /all then on Title bar rigth click the then edit | select all then rigth click the then copy and paste it here, Should be some like this below.

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sagetv
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-FC-24-AC-8E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Last edited by SHS; 12-17-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quick question. Did you have Matt's plugin configured to use a fixed IP address for the MVP's? Sage MVP Extender needs to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:17 PM

gplasky that may not be the case
Old 12-17-2005, 06:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
gplasky that may not be the case
Might not-but you never know. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 PM

One other why to fine out what goign on is to enable logging by setting the property debug_logging=TRUE in your Sage.properties file.
It'll then produce a sagetv_0.txt file in the SageTV folder after starting the MVP in tell it fail to start then close SageTV and post the logging which may or may not be helpful.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Sage User

Wow!!

First Off, let me say thanks for letting me know I am not alone on this problem. Second, I would like to say thanks for such quick responses and offering me some good new ideas to try.

Here is the IPCONFIG /ALL information:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : oem2400
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-5B-72-A9-0E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.24
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I will try to attach the SageTV Log file that I just created. It had a different file name then mentioned, it ended with an extension of .LOG (please note that I renamed it when I uploaded it here), but I feel pretty confident that it is correct one. If it isn't, please let me know know and I will upload the correct one.

Here are the steps that I used to create the log file:
-------------------------------------------------
I first loaded SageTV then ENABLED the "Media Extender Server" then exited the program. Then I enabled the LOGGING by editing the properties file. The MediaMVP was powered off and Matt's Client was disconnected. Then I reran the SageTV Server, after it was loaded it, I then plugged the MediaMVP up. It then proceeded to the same point it always freezes. I waited a minute, then unplugged it. Then I replugged it up, it proceeded to load and then froze again at the exact same point ("Starting Application..."). Then I unplugged the MediaMVP again. Exited the SageTV Server, made a copy of the log file which I am attaching here. The reason I connected and disconnected twice, was to hopefully help anyone who looks at the file to see some type of repetition or something.

Also, I checked the router, and it does appear that the MediaMVP is obtaining its IP address from the DHCP server built into the router. I believe that is the way it has always gotten it. However, with Matt's MediaMVP client, I did specify the MAC address of each MediaMVP to assign them as static MVP1 and static MVP2.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by 2FarGone; 12-17-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 PM

wrong log file it should be more like sagetv_0.txt close sagetv del any old one and start over 2FarGone
By the way what your router make and model?

Last edited by SHS; 12-17-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Sage User

So much for me being "pretty confident" that was the right file....

However, I repeated the steps mentioned in my previous email step by step-including connecting and disconnecting twice. The MediaMVP froze in exactly the same spot as always, right at the "Starting Application..." message. Hopefully I am attaching the correct log file this time...

My Router is a D-Link DGL-4300 with firmware version 1.5

Router DHCP Settings
--------------------
DHCP Server is ENABLED
DHCP IP Address Range: 100 to 199
DHCP Lease Time: 1440 Minutes
Always Broadcast is ENABLED

Here are the lines from the routers log file when I connected and diconnected the MediaMVP for the creation of the SageTV Log file: (Note: The MediaMVP's mac address is: 00:0D:FE:00:2B:A0)
---
[INFO] Sat Dec 17 22:28:17 2005 Assigned new lease 192.168.1.141 to client 000DFE002BA0
[INFO] Sat Dec 17 22:27:29 2005 Assigned new lease 192.168.1.141 to client 000DFE002BA0

Thanks Again!!!

Last edited by 2FarGone; 12-28-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:23 AM

Everything look good in tell you get to end
Sat 12/17 22:26:55.740 Added MVP client to our bootp list 00:0d:fe:00:2b:a0
Sat 12/17 22:26:55.741 servername 192.168.1.24
Sat 12/17 22:26:55.870 Reading mvp.bin in mode octet
Sat 12/17 22:26:55.871 Opening file
Sat 12/17 22:27:03.325 PM currState=0 wakeupTime=Sat 12/17/2005 22:28:00.000
Sat 12/17 22:27:04.996 At last block
Sat 12/17 22:27:33.317 PM currState=0 wakeupTime=Sat 12/17/2005 22:28:00.000
Sat 12/17 22:28:03.308 PM currState=1 wakeupTime=Wed 12/31/1969 18:00:00.000
Sat 12/17 22:28:07.520 Op:1 hwtype:1 hwaddrlen:6hopcount:0
transaction:86028090 nSeconds:100 flags:0
MAC: 00:0d:fe:00:2b:a0
Sat 12/17 22:28:07.521 Matched request to client 1
Sat 12/17 22:28:07.521 servername 192.168.1.24
Sat 12/17 22:28:07.660 Reading mvp.bin in mode octet
Sat 12/17 22:28:07.660 Opening file
Sat 12/17 22:28:16.768 At last block
Sat 12/17 22:28:33.296 PM currState=1 wakeupTime=Wed 12/31/1969 18:00:00.000
Sat 12/17 22:29:02.900 Removed system shell hook
Sat 12/17 22:29:02.900 Sage.exit() called.
Sat 12/17 22:29:02.901 Cleaning up servers
Sat 12/17 22:29:02.903 Error w/SageTV client connection:java.net.SocketException: socket closed
java.net.SocketException: socket closed
java.net.SocketException: socket closed
Sat 12/17 22:29:02.915 MiniInput ServerSocket died from:java.net.SocketException: socket closed

Have try mess with Application Level Gate (ALG) Configurations?.
Try enable PPTP and IPSec VPN or maybe some other setting blocking it from starting.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Sage User

I found the Application Level Gate (ALG) Configuration page in the router, I haven't ever changed anything on it. However, it appears like pretty much everything defaulted to checked/enable/allow. I am going to try to attach a picture of the routers options, incase there is one of them that I might need to uncheck or something.

I guess this would be a good time to mention that the SageTV Server is not running any type of antivirus or firewall program. Since it is behind a router and is never used for anything except SageTV, I never felt it would be important. I do keep Windows fully updated and patched and have never had any problems. I do have one program called "Spyware Blaster" version 3.4 from javacoolsoftware.com loaded and I always keep it updated too. To be on the safe side, I just disabled all of "Spyware Blasters" protections and tested the MediaMVP again, however it froze at the same spot as always ("Starting Application..."). But just to be on the safe side and I have pretty much run out of stuff to try ... I loaded AVG (from free.grisoft.com) on it tonight so I could run a full scan on it. After the scan came back perfectly clean I uninstalled AVG so it would not complicate any troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RouterPicture.jpg (61.4 KB, 386 views)
Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hey, you might try this fix listed here for an MVP issue. Not the same issue you have but it is related to the MVP and streaming of video.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any progress on this matter? I have the same issues with this d-link router...
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Sage User

Thanks jlabrue for the info, I have tried checking for any of the settings in the Network Cards Advanced Configuration options mentioned in the other posts. However, I didn't have any of those listed. I do not have an nForce board or NIC, so that might have something to do with it. I did try changing several of the options but nothing changed, it continues to freeze at the exact same spot ("Starting Application..."). Glad you got yours fixed!!!

BBCritical, I hate to hear that you are having the same problem I am, I know how annoying it can be.... have you tried a different router yet? I tried a different DLink that I had, but I don't have any other brands of routers. I really don't understand how the router could be causing any real problems since all of our connections are on the switch/LAN side of it.... by any chance do you forward any ports on your router? I am wondering if for some reason that could be causing some kind of conflict. None of the ports I forward correspond to any of the ones listed as being required for the MediaMVPs, but by now I am grasping at straws....

Please let me know if you find a solution or have any ideas to try...... Thanks!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FarGone
BBCritical, I hate to hear that you are having the same problem I am, I know how annoying it can be.... have you tried a different router yet? I tried a different DLink that I had, but I don't have any other brands of routers. I really don't understand how the router could be causing any real problems since all of our connections are on the switch/LAN side of it.... by any chance do you forward any ports on your router? I am wondering if for some reason that could be causing some kind of conflict. None of the ports I forward correspond to any of the ones listed as being required for the MediaMVPs, but by now I am grasping at straws....

Please let me know if you find a solution or have any ideas to try...... Thanks!

I also only have dlink routers and none of my forwarded ports are conflicting either. I was really trying to get this working before Christmas (MVP present for my son)... Anymore word from SHS on this??
Old 12-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Sage User

First let me say thanks to everyone for offering suggestions and ideas!!!

I finally got the Media MVP's working!!!!

The two factors that finally solved the issue:

1) Changed the Network from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x

2) Changed the Router from a DGL-4300 to a D-Link MIMO one

I am not sure if #1 or #2 or both of the above items were responsible, however, I am not going to take the chance to find out. Now that everything is working, I am planning on leaving it alone.

One other note, in my quest to find a solution I have upgraded the server and all my clients to v4.14 beta. However, I do not believe the beta made any difference.

Good Luck to everyone else looking for a solution!!! I hope this information might help!!!

Thanks!!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Sage User

Strange....I am also getting the MVP freezing at Starting Application problem. One thing I have noticed is that a bunch of us experiencing this issue are using the D-link DGL-4300. I wonder if thats the issue...
Old 12-29-2005, 07:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am having this issue, but I am not using a D-Link router.
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM

It also be the changed the Network from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to standand 192.168.0.x which is the standard for home private network or both it and the Wireless Router.