SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Sage Icon

Impressed with MVP!

Well, with all the negative posts about the MVP I thought I would post my positive experience. First off, I did have trouble getting the MVP to connect without the video stuttering. Once I made sure it connected to my network at 100mb (something the old MVP would not do!) everything worked reliable and great.

For starters---The preview window actually works! This is a nice upgrade over the old plugin. Next, the screen is actually centerred. This was really bothering me about matt's plugin and almost made me consider dropping the MVP altogether. Next--the menu's are quick and responsive. Huge improvements here. Rumors of Divx transcoding are abounding--good news for others ( I dont' really use divx). Hopefully DVD playback will be forthcoming as well. Thats about it---ALL improvements over how we were all able to use the MVP prior to a few days ago. I really see no negatives here. Even better--i faxed sage my affidavit yesterday morning and had my new license in hand by the afternoon! Know if that isn't a sign of a great company I'm not sure what it.

Thanks sage for a great job and here's hoping new HD extenders are in the works along with Divx and DVD support. Even without them I am very satisfied.
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Like JUC I'm very satisfied. I even bought a lic instead of trading in my client. I had some problems getting it to hook up for whatever reason, but the last 2 times I've rebooted I haven't had any trouble. Ripped DVD support is really the only thing I miss having that would make this perfect for the bedroom, and childs room! This is much improved over the plugin. Thanks to everyone involved!

--Mike
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 AM

The only thing I hate about DivX/XviD and other Video format Soft Transcoding is you need very powerful system at lease a ture min of 3.0GHz to bear min of 2.4Ghz depend on DivX/XviD other Video format Frame size and other facter option but rumors mill has it this may change later next year with add-in daughter cards (Hardware Transcoder) which make a huge improvements over OFFline or REALtime Soft Transcoding and Rumors had that we may see up 3 ot 5 major format like DivX, SonyPSP (MPEG-4), iPod (QuickTime MPEG-4) and possable WMV for Portable Video Player (PVP) and as a bonus compiling with output to MPEG-1/2 encoding or per-encode MPEG-1/2 translating by reduced bitrate / resolution conversion as in automatically scale file shrink for DVD Authoring and who know may be it also be useful for Editing for a more Frame-accurate editing by Hardware processing maybe even some simple transitions with video special effect, still image overlay for text and logo insertion.

Last edited by SHS; 12-17-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Count me as a media extender fan

Been using Matt's fab MVP plug in for about a year now - just bought the new extnder licenses for all 3 of my MVPs this morning after trying the demo version out for several hours - very nice. Much faster, the smooth FF/RW is nice, the volume control actually displays correctly, no more problem with the live program "catching up" and stuttering now and again (I had gotten used to pausing the playback a few seconds to buffer it up), don't have to run 3 instances of the client on my server - overall the CPU usage is less.

If they can somehow pull off DivX playback, it'll be a slam dunk in my book - either way, it's worth the $29 regardless.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up The New Media Extender is a huge Improvement

I have been using Matt's MVP plug-in for about a year now, it was awesome what he could do without the SAGE source code, had some stuttering issues with live TV so I could not use it 100%. Just upgraded to 4.1 and purchased 2 new MVP licenses after trying the demo version for an hour. No other MVP client has these features.
- GB-PVR can not do the preview window, its has a slower response to the remote, and the on-screen icons are always a problem.
- BeyondTV just can not even come close to the features we now have.

GREAT WORK!

I can't wait to see what you do with an HD media extender.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm waiting for mine but it's diffcult to find in Belgium...
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

AWESOME. hooked up entered key restarted sagetv and was up and running in under 5 minutes. So far it is exactly what I was looking for. The only thing I noticed it was using original STV without the imports.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 12-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

I had it the same, but you can simply select the same stv you are using on the PC. Worked fine here. Overall i'm very pleased with the performance.
My only snag is the unability to power off. I always liked the tv going to the proper scart channel automatically when powering the mvp.

Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Sage Expert

New 4.1.4

i have pic and sound on my mvp

but, under wireless my shows (Standad DVD Quality) are stutter in video and sound.

i will hope
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 12-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Sage User

I received the MVP today and everthing went together perfectly.

I plugged it in and it showed the Sage menu right away. No problems at all.

I forgot to put in the license key. I shut down sage and entered the key as instructed in the email and started sage up and everthing works great!

I like it.

Last edited by jeffld; 12-22-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffld
I received the MVP today and everthing went together perfectly.

I plugged it in and it showed the Sage menu right away. No problems at all.

I forgot to put in the license key. I shut down sage and entered the key as instructed in the email and started sage up and everthing works great!

I like it.

Yeah, this was basically my same experience. Was getting myself ready for a struggle to get everything working, and suprisingly, everything was up and running within 5 mins of opening the packaging. I was really impressed how easily it all went.

-Shadrach
Old 12-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

I recieved my MVP Thursday and it works great. I had to wait until some recordings finished before I could restart the server so I had to watch the little trial message for a few hours.

Two problems have kept me from using this full time. The first is that you can't turn it off without unplugging it and it is always recording when on. Always.

The second is actually a problem with my TV. When I switch the input to composite for the MVP, the TV's onscreen menu will stay on the screen. It will not go away. It will go away if my xbox is connected instead so it might have something to do with the MVP.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBU
i have pic and sound on my mvp

but, under wireless my shows (Standad DVD Quality) are stutter in video and sound.
It appears as though the latest 4.1.4 is causing troubles with the MVP... it is probably the different recording style (ps vs ts), so try changing back (the mpeg stream type...) until they sort it out...

mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

Did you send in a bug report?

-Jason

Last edited by Jason; 12-24-2005 at 03:04 PM.