SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Sage Icon

Remote Doesn't work anymore

Hello - I got a second Win TV card for testing. Then I took it out of the machine realizing that it was an older one that I don't think has a built in encoder. Anyways, the remote no longer works with Sage. It works fine with Win TV and it works fine when I load Debug.txt in notepad. How can I get it to work with Sage again?

Also - another question...if one wants to use a remote then isn't it true that a tuner card should be installed on the client? Otherwise, if the tuner is in the server which could be in another part of the house, how could the remote possibly change anything?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 05:36 AM
SageTVaholic

That's the whole point of the client software. With a remote installed on the client, like a MCE Remote and receiver, anything you control on the client is controlled on the server. It's just like being there. Of course volume up-down ir the volume on the client. Change the channel and it switches the tuner on the server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Also - another question...if one wants to use a remote then isn't it true that a tuner card should be installed on the client? Otherwise, if the tuner is in the server which could be in another part of the house, how could the remote possibly change anything?
The tuner cards should be on the server controlled by SageTV server.

The SageTVClient needs its own remote so that you can control the software without a keyboard and mouse
The client then tells the server what to do (such as start recording/change channel etc).

Obviously this is difficult for remotes that are connected to tuner cards, so you need an alternative solution for using a remote on the client...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

I guess where I'm confused is if the cards are in the server and there is no tuner card in the client how does the IR remote send a signal to the client? You are sending an infrared beam to the client but the cable to pick up the infrared signal (at the tuner card on the server) could be in a totally different room elsewhere in the house. It would seem like there is no hardware for the client to know what to do with the infrared beam. Or is it the server that is picking up the signal from the remote because I thought one has to be within 10 feet or so for the remote to work.

Also - does anyone know why I can't get the remote to work with the Sage software anymore? It works fine in the normal WinTV program and it works with a debug.txt file.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Hello - I got a second Win TV card for testing. Then I took it out of the machine realizing that it was an older one that I don't think has a built in encoder. Anyways, the remote no longer works with Sage. It works fine with Win TV and it works fine when I load Debug.txt in notepad. How can I get it to work with Sage again?
I'm guessing that you installed the remote software again when you installed the 2nd Hauppauge card, which will overwrite the irremote.ini file in your Windows directory. That is the file the Hauppauge IR software uses to definre how the remote works.

To fix irremote.ini, you could either reinstall SageTV to have it update that file, or check out the Hauppauge links in my sig lines -- post 3 in link #1, or post 15 in link #3.

Once you get irremote.ini working again, I suggest you keep a backup copy of that file, in case it gets overwritten again.

And, as was said above, if you have no tuner on a client, you will need some other remote receiver + remote combo.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.