SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Remote Client cant change live TV channel

Subject says it all. The only way I can change the "live" channel is if I log into the server box and change the channel there. If I am at the remote client I get the error message. "All clients using encoders...".

This definitely did not happen in the previous release (i.e. v2)

Thoughts?

-MrD
Old 12-04-2005, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

If you have 1 tuner, and the server is watching live tv using that tuner, then there are no 'spare' tuners for the client to use to view other channels, hence the error... If you stop livetv on the server, then the client should have no problem changing channels
Old 12-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have do you "stop" live recording on the server... It was never started

I only use the server to watch recorded shows. The server feeds my TV. I only want to use Live TV on the remote client that runs on my PC upstairs.

This started with the v4 product.

-MrD
Old 12-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Did you recently set the encoder merit property? If so, I wonder if this is a side effect. If no other SageTV system is watching that live TV show, then the client should be able to change the channel... if you use the Stop command on the client, does the recording stop, or just playback of that live TV recording?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am not sure where the encoder priority setting is so I am not sure that I changed it, but I doubt it. When I installed v4 it walked me through a fresh setup, even though v2 was fully setup already.

If I am on the server and press stop the program guide pops up and keeps on recording, but what it recording is a scheduled recording. It used to be when I tried to change the channel it would issue a warning to say I was about to about a scheduled recording, now I just get the error message.

When I am watching a recording on the server, when I press stop, it displays the currently recording show. Maybe this is what makes it think it is "live TV".

On the remote client pressing stop takes me to the program guide and advances the video to the present timecode.

Note I have "Display Video on Menus" always option set. I am starting to think this option is the source of my grief.

-MrD
Old 12-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD
Note I have "Display Video on Menus" always option set. I am starting to think this option is the source of my grief.
Quite possibly -- you may not be watching anything on your server, but if the SageTV window is open, this will cause it to always play something, and that would be live TV if nothing else is playing.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK I turned off all of the clients from "Video Always" on Menu option. I believe that once Sage is done recording a favorite, it continues to record/display whatever is next on the channel and thus that becomes fodder for IR. Basis is most of my favorites run on Fox (Simpsons, Prison Break, Seinfeld, Friends, etc...)

However, I still am unable to change the channel if it is recording something that was scheduled to record. Previous (i.e. v2) behavior was to pop a dialog asking if I wanted to abort the scheduled recording.

Thoughts?

-MrD

P.S. I love the product. I just don't understand why future auto-scheduled recording cant be deleted in the recording schedule. Using the "don't like" method seems un-natural from a UI perspective.

When a program is set "dont like" when is the future schedule recomputed? Immediately, or timed? If timed is there a way to force a recompute?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Administrator

I suggest double checking that nothing is playing on the server. Go to Setup -> System Information & scroll down just a bit to make sure it says "Watching: Nothing". I just tried this & I have no problem changing channels on my client unless the server is actively playing something. For a scheduled recording, it asked me what I wanted to do. Also: just because the video isn't shown doesn't mean it isn't playing -- use the Stop comamnd or put it to sleep.

The schedule is updated as needed when something in the database changes, such as marking something Watched ot Don't Like, or when other conditions tell it that the schedule should be redone. I don't know all such conditions.

- Andy