SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Nvidia PureVideo Version: 1.02-177 Released!!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_dec...177-trial.html

Release Notes
-Compatibility Fixes for Windows Media Center 2005 Update Rollup 2
-This decoder is optimized to work best with ForceWare Release 80 v81.85 or higher drivers
-Improved MPEG-2 transport stream support
-Improved "Smart" mode de-interlace handling in "Super Speedway" and "The Incredibles" DVDs
-More improvements to bad edit detection for content like "The Big Lebowski" DVD
-Other compatibility fixes, click here to view the User's Guide

apparently i'm a little late with this news since everyone in the VMR/Overlay thread already has them!

Last edited by Naylia; 10-22-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:44 AM
Sage Icon

Figures... I just insalled the 150 version 2 days ago.

Off to upgrade..

Jason Bottjen
Old 10-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

Are these decoders that much better than Sonic, others out there? I just bought a 6200 for my client and am using the Elecard decoders and thought they looked awesome. I'm just trying to figuer out if these will provide better viewing for my HD material.

I did try them out some months ago before I bought the 6200, so I don't think I can try the trial again.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
Are these decoders that much better than Sonic, others out there?
yes, but depending on your 6200 model maybe not significantly so.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Sage Icon

Actually I think these look significantly better than the elecard decoder even on my ATI cards (ATI 9600 specifically).

And so far, at least with .TS files, they work VERY well for me. I have seen no issues at all as a matter of fact. AC3 works (in Windows Media Player - need AC3FILTER otherwise I think), no skipping, no stuttering, etc.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
Are these decoders that much better than Sonic, others out there? I just bought a 6200 for my client and am using the Elecard decoders and thought they looked awesome. I'm just trying to figuer out if these will provide better viewing for my HD material.

I did try them out some months ago before I bought the 6200, so I don't think I can try the trial again.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

When I ran the new installer over my old installation it still asked for my registration information when installing, so my guess is it just overwrites the previously installed version. To be safe (can never be too safe with codecs), I would just uninstall the old version and install a clean copy of the new version.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Sage Icon

I also installed the trial version over my registered version. It asked for the registration info and installed as a registered version.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

And if you bought from an OEM (such as PCAlchemy), you can use this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_dec...2-177-oem.html
Old 10-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

After upgrading to RC3, Installed the the new PureVideo last night, stuttering fixed in VMR (for now...we'll see how long it lasts).
Overlay works and looks much better to me than VMR - I didnt realize how dark the Sonic decoders were. Using the Nvidia and Overlay invokes more problems with sendmessage functionality and girder. I have allready mapped the ff and rew keys to sage keyboard commands instead of using sendmessage. Using the Nvidia drivers, Pause sendmessage will also lock girder until keyboard or mouse click on sage and 'macro' style playback of entered remote commands.

mike/
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

- Also havent had time to check if the new Nvidia drivers demux will now properly play sage ts files in ZP or WMP 10. Prior version I had to unregister the demux so the sagetv demux would be used.

It kind of makes me wonder if some of the inconsistent problems in ts playback are related to this somehow. I wonder if Sage will ALLWAYS use the custom sagetv demux or if sometimes it tries to use another with certain decoders ?
It would be nice if Sage had a feature like Zoomplayer that you could see all the filters in use.

mike/
Old 10-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Why is it that when I run "Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility" on my HTPC which has TheaterTek 2.2 with "Advanced Audio Pack" (ability to play DTS) installed my Decoder Version reads "4020.183.0.0" and when I read this post it says the latest is 177? So how does TT release 183 if all we can get is 177 off the NV site?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm not sure that is the same versioning info, but TT does use ones that are not necessarily what's available at retail, but I would have expected simultaneous debut.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

TheaterTek has worked very closely with nVidia and almost always had a newer version than what is currently being offered by nVidia. This last update took awhile so nVidia had newer drivers up until TheaterTek released 2.2.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

If I use Nvidia's PureVideo decoder with a GeForce Series 6 video card, will the video card pick up some of the task of decoding the MPEG2 video from the processor?

Karen
NVidia GeForceX 5700
Hauppage WinTV PVR-350
1 TB Hard Drive space
Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

yes, if you enable DXVA (hardware acceleration). you enable it in the decoder properties tab (the video one i think). The little icon in the system tray does not always appear when using the decoders with sage. You may need to open a file in windows media player to get the tray icon to show up so you can access the decoder settings.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Sage Icon

So ... dumb question ... I always hear good things about the Nvidia decoders on this site. The Nvidia web page refers to Nvidia GPU's and Nvidia cards of course. Does this mean they do not work with ATI cards? Or if I got a new ATI card would it be better to use it's own decoder or by the Nvidia decoder??

Thanks, T.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:15 PM
SageTVaholic

They will work with ATI cards, they just work better with nVidia cards, or I suppose you could say nVidia cards can do some things ATI cards can't (notably film detection).

ATI does not have a decoder of their own, they supply Cyberlink decoders. I think most would say nVidia's decoders are about the best you can do with either mfg.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
They will work with ATI cards, they just work better with nVidia cards, or I suppose you could say nVidia cards can do some things ATI cards can't (notably film detection).

ATI does not have a decoder of their own, they supply Cyberlink decoders. I think most would say nVidia's decoders are about the best you can do with either mfg.
Thanks Stanger ... so given the choice would you just use the decoders with the AIW or buy the Nvidia decoders for it?

T.

Last edited by mightyt; 11-23-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Heads up to anyone trying the Purevideo trial. I was getting alot of really wierd workings with the decoder during the trial - Especially with Sage and even in Zoomplayer - Zoomplayer repeatedly reported that there was no common pin type when trying Overlay or VMR. Eventually some time after upgrading to version - 177 trial, they quit working alltogether even though I had about 20 days left on my trial.
Based upon the performance I saw in the brief time I tested I went ahead and purchased. They were MUCH better than anything else I had seen, including the Sonics. The PRICING is kind of riddiculous - especially if you need DTS - at least IMO.
They ARE good though.

And yes, after I installed the key, everything has worked perfectly.

mike/
Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Thanks Stanger ... so given the choice would you just use the decoders with the AIW x800 xt or buy the Nvidia decoders for it?

T.
I'd probably use nVidia with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Young
The PRICING is kind of riddiculous - especially if you need DTS - at least IMO.
A couple notes on pricing which, while not riddiculous , is wierd. The other versions cost more because they offer decoding (if you look at Sonic, Intervideo, PowerDVD, they all charge more for better decoding).
For those of us not running WMP or MCE, there's no point buying anything but the cheapest one, because the decoders will not decode either DD or DTS outside those apps. They will however passthrough (S/PDIF) both just fine (even the cheap ones).