SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Sage User

Lightbulb Feature requests

I've browsed through the V3 manual, and have a few things I think should be added/changed before the official release. Keep in mind, I haven't installed V3 yet, so I may be missing something that is already supported.

- Numeric text entry with remote is AWESOME!! I wanted this since I started with v2. I think it should be expanded, though, to use when specifying file names or configuration names, For example, the feature described at the top of page 142 in the V3 manual

- Ability to add or change custom menu commands, similar to Cayars. I was able to add a command to run a batch file which would restart or shutdown the computer, so I could select Shutdown or Restart from the Sage TV menu.
Or maybe just add these 2 features into SageTV

- Ability to configure live TV recording quality independantly of the default recording quality. A current Tivo user who tested my system stated that his Tivo records live TV at the highest quality, but for manual and favorites recordings, defaults to a lower quality, unless he specifies otherwise for that individual recording. Currently, the change live tv quality, the user must change the default recording quality, which means he must change the recording quality for all favorites/recordings, if he wants them to be different from the default. Hopefully this makes sense.

- Internet and FM radio support! Most TV cards support FM. I'm surprised Sage doesn't have FM support! (or am I just not aware of it?) Internet radio is awesome! If I could change the menus, I could add a command to launch winamp to play internet radio/media. Perhaps an STVi could do this?

- Record shows to DVD. This is a big one! I think there would be a huge market for this program if it were easy to simply tell Sage to "Burn this show to DVD right now" or easily add a few shows to make an archive DVD then burn the disc. Even if it burned all the videos sequentially (similar to a vhs recording), at lest it would give the user another method to archive their recordings. Again, an STVi might be able to help here.

- Fine tuning for individual channels. A tester of mine noted that a few channels didn't come in too well. Unfortunately, these were channels that he really liked to watch. This frustrated him very much with the software, to the point that he no longer was interested in testing the unit. It's possible that a signal enhancer or better cables would help, but he doesn't experience the same problem on his TV, and thus, can't justify paying the extra money to get the software to work. But he was willing to make fine tuning adjustments. Currently, this can only be done manually in the registry, AFAIK.

- Enable automatic DVD video playback when disc inserted - I now know that I can do this myself using the sendmessage command.

- Commercial skipping!! I know it won't be long before an STV or STVi is available whichi will provide this functionality. But it would be nice if Sage could access and use the xml comskip files created by external programs, even if it doesn't support comskip discovery natively. At least support the automatic advance function

- Will owners of version 2.2 need to repurchase version 3?

I just want to add that I am willing to make any changes myself, for example, customizing the environment to use sendmessage events to sage when a DVD is inserted. It's also really nice to see a feature such as "-property filepath"... I think this is an uncommon feature that I had requested a while back, but it adds a lot of flexibility for OEM builders like myself who want to create reliable, problem free systems. Thank you for all you do!

-Steve
www.idatasys.net
Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Administrator

I'm only going to comment on things already done... my comments are not meant to imply that anything else requested is or is not planned.

But, the forum is not monitored for requests, so they should be sent directly to SageTV for consideration beyond forum discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackmars2
- Numeric text entry with remote is AWESOME!! I wanted this since I started with v2. I think it should be expanded, though, to use when specifying file names or configuration names, For example, the feature described at the top of page 142 in the V3 manual
NTE does work on that screen, but the keypad doesn't seem to be visible there. Thanks for pointing it out so I can fix it.

Quote:
- Ability to configure live TV recording quality independantly of the default recording quality.
You might want to try playing with v3's new seeker/default_live_quality property.

Quote:
- Commercial skipping!! I know it won't be long before an STV or STVi is available which will provide this functionality.
There are already imports for this.

Quote:
- Will owners of version 2.2 need to repurchase version 3?
This one gets asked a lot... no, SageTV has already said that v3 is a free upgrade for owners of v2.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:20 AM
SageTVaholic

see this thread for customisable main menu and comskip imports for v3