SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 AM

Why did I buy PVR-150? On Direct TV =/ HELP ME!

/begin rant

This thing is useless as a PVR. I am really frustrated.

I have Direct TV and a Phillips DSX-5500 reciever.

The Hauppauge IR blaster cannot change the channel. I guess this is really a Hauppauge issue but I need somewhere to vent.

The product is sold under a PVR name! I figured it would have that functionality when combined with Sage or some other 3rd party application. Why isn't the IR blaster compatabile with JP1 codes? NOWHERE on the requirements page does it say that the IR blaster would only work with a few recievers. Now I am in a position where I must find a Direct TV reciever that will work with the IR blaster

Does anyone know what reciever I should go out and buy? From the looks of the Haupp site there are only a handful of them that work...and of that handfull most of them are PVRs! WTF??!!!

Why would you build a computer based PVR for a PVR reciever? That's insane. =/

What *cheap* Direct TV reciever can I get from ebay or something that will work with sage? Seeing as that's my only option besides just scrapping the idea entirely and getting a DirectTV TIVO for free under their current promo....the one with the $100 rebate. The idea here was to build a PVR and avoid the $5 a month charge for TV listings. I knew this was not gonna be easy but I really didn't expect to get borked my the *type* of reciever that I own.

Especially since I can use my JP1 remote for the thing...I guess I just assumed that a computer controlled IR blaster would be as smart as a $20 JP1 remote. I was wrong....

still pulling my hair out...

any solutions would be *GREATLY* appricatiated =)

McKenzie

Last edited by McKenzie; 09-01-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:04 AM

That sucks. Any thoughs on just getting another IR blaster?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
That sucks. Any thoughs on just getting another IR blaster?
I thought of that. Anyone know of a JP1 compatible remote/irblaster setup that will work?

I suppose a reciever that supported serial or firewire channel changing would work too. Are there any out there on ebay for cheap?

What are people on this boards Direct TV solutions?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Sage Expert

Sounds like girder *might* be a possiblity for you.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenzie
I thought of that. Anyone know of a JP1 compatible remote/irblaster setup that will work?

I suppose a reciever that supported serial or firewire channel changing would work too. Are there any out there on ebay for cheap?

What are people on this boards Direct TV solutions?

Go to Circuit City or some place like that and pick up an RCA STB with the low speed data port for around $50. I think Sony has low cost STBs with the data port as well. The nice thing about a Sony box is that it uses DB9 port rather than the little handset jack the RCAs require.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

Why not just buy a USB-UIRT and be done with it. It should work with your receiver. When I got mine, I went ahead and opted for the dual-frequency model (56k sensor), just in case something I used had a remote on that freq. You're looking at around 45-50 bucks or so, but would work perfectly well with your receiver & remotes you currently have.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

The only reason to get the 56k sensor model is if the remote that you plan to use to drive the USB-UIRT is 56k. The normal model can control 56k equipment just fine.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
Why not just buy a USB-UIRT and be done with it. It should work with your receiver. When I got mine, I went ahead and opted for the dual-frequency model (56k sensor), just in case something I used had a remote on that freq. You're looking at around 45-50 bucks or so, but would work perfectly well with your receiver & remotes you currently have.

Yeah =/ 60 Bucks for that thing seems excessive. Why didn't I buy the MCE edition of the PVR-150 then? If you have to go with secondary 3rd party hardware. Also on top of that if I do use a USB-URIT then I have to include the cost of this Girder software as well! So there's another 110 bucks on top of the PVR card.

Can someone explain why over 50% of the Direct Tv STB's that the IR blaster can control are PVR's?

Still pullin my hair out....ordered an older Sony DTV box from ebay. Probably won't work but it was 10 bucks. What is the proceedure to get a box hooked into my account? What if it has no access card? What if it has a balance? Oh btw Circuit City and Best Buy don't have any serial controlled STB's for sale =/ Nor can I find a *cheap* STB that will work with Haup's IR Blaster....

woe is me...

McKenzie
Old 09-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Sage User

A USB-UIRT would do the trick, plus you would be all set to control more than one receiver if you wanted to do that.

My initial system consisted of one PVR-250, one PVR-150, and two of those Phillips DSX-5500s controlled by a USB-UIRT and all was fine, except the DSX-5500s were GIANT pieces of crap! They would reboot at the most inconvenient times and for whatever reason, they take about 5 minutes to reboot. So the first few minutes of many of the shows I recorded had that stupid Phillips splash screen with a progress bar until it fully rebooted.

Hope you have luck with that Sony you bought.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah =/ 60 Bucks for that thing seems excessive. Why didn't I buy the MCE edition of the PVR-150 then?
I thought the USB-UIRT was a little pricey when I purchased mine, but after using it for nearly a year now I think it's well worth the $$$. Setup was easy and it's always worked flawlessly.

It sounds like you should have bought the MCE version.

Quote:
Also on top of that if I do use a USB-URIT then I have to include the cost of this Girder software as well! So there's another 110 bucks on top of the PVR card.
You shouldn't need girder to use the usb/uirt.

Last edited by blade; 09-02-2005 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 AM
Sage Icon

I am a huge fan of my USB Uirt aswell... origianlly I tired to save some money by going with the MyBlaster, what a dissapointment that was. I eventually had to submit, so I order and recieve a new USB Uirt. Since then I have been extremely happy with it. I've reprogrammed my STB's JP1 remote to different codes and us it to control sage.

The good thing about using the STB's remote is that nobody needs to relearn how to use the new PVR, every function maps to the similar function is sage.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Sage User

Sorry about the Circuit City lead, you're right they don't seem to carry these RCA boxes.

Here's a couple of links to help out if you're still looking to go the data cable method...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077630305377

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...00097,00.html?

http://www.2000networks.com/receiver.html

Also Amazon.com has a few DRD430s for under $25