SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Sage User

dvd playback only works with some dvds (using intervideo windvd codecs)

hi.

i did a clean install of windows xp pro. i did a clean install of sage 2.2.8. and i did a clean install of windvd 7.

but why for christ's sake do only some dvds work for playback in sagetv? i set the region code in windvd to 2 (western europe).

the only dvds that i can play in sage are:

- robbie williams live concert (region code 2), can't fast forwart/rewind though...
- kill bill bootleg i bought in asia

the other ones, like harry potter (all region code 2) and many other ones don't work!!! they work in windvd but not in sage.

in the sage dvd settings i chose the intervideo windvd video and audio codecs (no, not the noncss ones that came with the hauppauge, the windvd ones).

can anyone help? i wanna watch some dvds tonight...and it would suck if i spent the money on the windvd for nothing!

thanx, simon

Last edited by simisimisimi; 08-19-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Sage User

does anyone know a solution? please...
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM

What does it do when it is not working? Have you tried any other deocoders?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
What does it do when it is not working? Have you tried any other deocoders?
there is just a black screen. no audio info, no video info, no chapters...what other decoders should i try? i don't have any others besides the intervideo noncss (which doesn't work for dvd playback)...or maybe some sagetv codec...but i spent money for windvd and sage and also spent a lot of time...

it works in windvd, why doesn't it work in sagetv? i don't get it.

Last edited by simisimisimi; 08-19-2005 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:41 AM

What renderer are you using in Sage? Have you tried switching between Overlay and VMR for your DVD settings?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Sage User

Quote:
What renderer are you using in Sage? Have you tried switching between Overlay and VMR for your DVD settings?
overlay. yes, i tried this. but why should this change anything? this is not the problem, i think. when i hit "play dvd", it says:

audio: 0
video: 0
aspect ratio: 0

and so on...like if there was no dvd around.
but not with the robbie williams (region 2) dvd, everything works, and also not the kill bill bootleg.

and all of these play in windvd.

i'm about to get so pissed. i spend hours and hours to get this sagetv to work, spend so much money, and i end up with something that doesn't even work!!!

i installed sage 2.2.8 on a brand new system, and also windvd (whose codecs are praised all over this board)...no working dvd playback (in sagetv! in windvd, it works). also, to get a nice live tv quality (which i achieved now) i needed to tweak a lot.

after all the time i spent, i would be glad if some sage staff member would help me.
i feel cheated and abused as a test-user.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 AM

WInDVD codecs are not praised on this board. However, they should work just fine. Keep in mind that if you want them to work in Sage just like in WInDVD you have to configure Sage just like WInDVD. Sounds like you don't want to even try. Despite what you want this is not necessarily plug and play.

Why not post your DVD configuration screen so people can try and help you?

EDIT: For official Sage support you need to fill out a support request. This is a user forum.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
WInDVD codecs are not praised on this board. However, they should work just fine. Keep in mind that if you want them to work in Sage just like in WInDVD you have to configure Sage just like WInDVD. Sounds like you don't want to even try. Despite what you want this is not necessarily plug and play.

Why not post your DVD configuration screen so people can try and help you?

EDIT: For official Sage support you need to fill out a support request. This is a user forum.
well perfect. see. that's exactly what i mean. what codecs SHOULD I USE THEN?
IS THERE ANY ADVICE HOW TO CONFIGURE DVD PLAYBACK? IS THERE A GUIDE ON SAGETV? NO THERE IS NOT
Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Have you tried the manual? I think there is a config setup in there. Most people on this board would suggest the NVDVD decoders.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you using component output?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Are you using component output?
no, i'm using vga. but what does this have to do with the problem described above? absolutely nothing.

thanks for the help though.

which nvidia codec should i use? it kinda sucks that i have to pay again, though. i use the intervideo for live tv and i get phantastic results.

simon

Last edited by simisimisimi; 08-19-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 AM

I would continue to troubleshoot the Intervideo ones first. They should work fine. Your problem could roll into the other decoders. However, you can get a trial of the NVDVD decoders. Might be usefull to try and track down you problem.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html
Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I would continue to troubleshoot the Intervideo ones first. They should work fine. Your problem could roll into the other decoders. However, you can get a trial of the NVDVD decoders. Might be usefull to try and track down you problem.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html
well, how do i troubleshoot the windvd drivers? i didn't spend my money to troubleshoot!
all i have installed is windows xp, sagetv 2.2.8 (with its drivers & codecs) and windvd 7. my settings in dvd are:

dvd-rom drive: yes
dvd video renderer: overlay (i tried vmr9, didn't help)
dvd video decoder filter: intervideo video
dxva dvd mpeg mode: default
dxva dvd deinterlacing: default
dvd audio decoder filter: intervideo audio
audio renderer: default

i also did the hauppauge registry hacks, by the way.

in windvd, i guess there are just the standard settings.

the weird thing is, that sagetv doesnt recognize the dvds, like if there's no dvd in the drive. wintv can play them though.

i made a ghost image of my harddrive before i installed windvd, i could just reset my system to the state before and use the nvidia. but are they as good as the intervideo codecs?

simon

Last edited by simisimisimi; 08-19-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simisimisimi
no, i'm using vga. but what does this have to do with the problem described above? absolutely nothing.
It could have been everything, ATI (for sure and I think nV also) will disable playback of Macrovision protected DVDs if your using component and a resolution >480p. You either get a black screen or a message. But as you're using VGA, it's a non-issue.

As for decoders, most would consider nVidia and/or Dscaler 5 to be the best decoders available.

FWIW Sage knows something is there, otherwise you'd get a message to insert a disk when you hit play DVD.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simisimisimi
i made a ghost image of my harddrive before i installed windvd, i could just reset my system to the state before and use the nvidia. but are they as good as the intervideo codecs?

simon

much much better IMHO
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Sage User

yes i tried the manual. it just SUCKS for me because they advertise sagetv to be capable of playing dvds, but then, you have to set that stuff up yourself, spend money for third party products, then this stuff doesn't work ant finally, nobody is responsible for the mess. how the heck should a guy like me troubleshoot codec problems? am i expected to go deep into the registry?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

You could try by providing the information people are asking for.

There are a lot of knowledgable people on here, who are happy to give up thier time to try and help people with problems.

Getting shrill about things doesn't help. (I speak as someone who used to get very shrill)
I've read your other posts, where you didn't understand the difference between a capture card and a video card.
There is nothing wrong with that, but If people are going to help you learn these things, you need to answer the questions being asked.

They are being asked for a reason.

Why don't you download the Nvidia Codec.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_dec...150-trial.html
You can get a trial version for free, and if it solves the problem, then you are a step further forward.

No one is suggesting you start hacking the registry, I've done a lot of stuff with codecs, and I think I've registry hacked precisely once (With the intervideo decoder).

I believe you are using XP SP2, can you put in the details of your hardware, and try the nvidia codec above.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by parkimar; 08-20-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Sage User

dear mark,

what other information should i provide? i installed xp pro sp2, then sage 2.2.8, then windvd 7, and i have a pvr-150, and i use the vga output, and i already posted my sagetv dvd settings.

simon
Old 08-20-2005, 06:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

The PVR-150 does not have a VGA output,
Therfore you could tell us what video card you are using.
Is it Nvidia, ATI, etc.
You could then also tell us what version of the relevant driver software you are using.

Cheers

Mark
Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

simon,

Will DVDs play in Windows Media Player?