SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Stanger89, I found out that the RF channel I want to remap to is actually 49.2

However, there's a problem with channel remapping for me. No matter what sub channel I put, it always tunes into 49.1

Shoot, I can even remap it on 49.9 and it will still tune into 49.1

Am I missing something? I even toggled the "enable major and minor ATSC channels" option and it didn't matter. I also tried to separate the major an minor channels with a hyphen instead of a period.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedel
my sagetv server is "headless" and over remote desktop function it is not possible to run the sagetv gui (gui starts with "insufficient color deep" [setting is 16bits] and the gui remains black)
Two changes to you properties file will get remote desktop working. Search your properties file for warn_on_non_32bit_color_depth and ui/accelerated_rendering and set them both to false.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
Stanger89, I found out that the RF channel I want to remap to is actually 49.2

However, there's a problem with channel remapping for me. No matter what sub channel I put, it always tunes into 49.1

Shoot, I can even remap it on 49.9 and it will still tune into 49.1

Am I missing something? I even toggled the "enable major and minor ATSC channels" option and it didn't matter. I also tried to separate the major an minor channels with a hyphen instead of a period.
I'm having the same problem. I can't remap to channels within a channel ie 52.1 to 52.3. However I can remap my "normal" 52.1 to 46.2 (Fox HD) by just typing in 46. It doesn't matter if I put in 46.1, 46, or any other 46.x. It always goes to 46.2.

I have 3 channels on 52: 52.1, 52.2, and 52.3. 52.1 is the EPG channel I want the video from 52.3 to be on. If I remap 52.1 to anything but 52 it will work on the remapped channel. However when I remap 52.1 to 52.3 it doesn't work. If I remap 52.3 to any other channel, it will work. If I remap 52.3 (from other channel) to 52.3 it will work. This makes ZERO sense to me.

I'm going to work on it a little longer and then file a bug report.

Oh, and I've tried everything with digital tuning both on and off.

-Jim
AMD Sempron 3100+, 1gb DDR400 RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, ATI 9600XT, Hauppauge PVR-500, Fusion 3 QAM-T, NVidia Pure Video decoders, SPDIF Optical output to Onkyo TR-601 HT Receiver, Custom built mass loaded tuned quarted wave speakers.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can you get to the subchannels even if they are not presented in the EPG?

One of our OTA stations have their HD on 12.1 and a weather radar on 12.2.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Sage Expert

OK, Im confused about all this.

OTA stands for ??

As far as I have always known, both Satelite and Cable have only 1-whatever and don't have point values next too them. What is all the 1.1.... 2.3 stuff?
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-18-2005, 09:13 PM
SageTVaholic

OTA = Over The Air

The .x are subchannels, ATSC digital stations can transmit an arbitrary number of subchannels. Actually digital cable (and probably satellite) work the same way, however the xx.y is abstracted from the user. For example with digital cable all however many hundreds of channels all reside within the 2-125 physical channel range. They run upwards of 8 digital channels in the space of 1 analog one. For example on our system all the showtime channels (16 IIRC if you count east and west versions) reside on two channels.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

OTA - Over the Air

I also have an LG3410a Set Top Box that combines both QAM and OTA signals.

It also provides feedback on the appropriate station numbers.

As stanger89 has pointed out in previous posts, the actual RF channel that the HD signal is on is different than the channel the station advertises.

Got to it while I took a cell phone call.

Randy
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
OK... I see, so if I don't want to pay for "digital cable" (as it requires one digital box for each tuner, which I would need to rent also), then I won't gain anything by setting this up for 1-100. Is that a correct assesment?

Also, I have some old dishes (now using cabletv) pointed at all of DTVs satellites that I don't use any more. I can't gain any programming with those dishes, without paying right?
By using the LG3410A set top box, I am able to get unencrypted digital channels from the local cable company without renting the cable company's set top box.

Our local cable company has 60+ digital music channels placed in one of the RF channels that I have access to now that I can access the digital channels.

So until you try by connecting some of the boxes, you will not really know what you can get.

Unfortunatly, in Wichita, not all of the HD OTA channels are on the local cable feed.

I currently am forced to use OTA receiver cards (currently the A180).

Randy
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It seems like this discussion could leak into a grey area is there a forum for so called 'restricted topics'?
The area for restricted topics is called "the Admin's ability to delete posts". If you are talking about a way to receive cable or satellite programming w/o paying for it, then, yes, the restricted area may soon be encountered. Just a friendly reminder...

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I haven't discussed ANYTHING questionable here, hence my specific reason for asking. !!

I am a paying customer of SageTV and I resent your implication.
Whether you paid for SageTV has nothing to do with the topic at hand...

You asked if there was a forum area for restricted topics. No, there is not. If a topic is restricted, it is removed. Stealing cable TV or Satellite TV programming without paying for it would be a "restricted topic" in my opinion.

Now, I'm not entirely certain what the two of you meant by the last few posts, so I did nothing about them. But, your question about "restricted topics" indicated to me that _perhaps_ you were referring to receiving programming that you have not paid for. So:
  • _IF_ that is what you meant, then please don't discuss that on this forum.

• _IF_ it is NOT what you meant, but you think it has nothing to do with the beta, please visit the SageTV Community or the Hardware sections of the forum.
- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
  • _IF_ it is NOT what you meant, but you think it has nothing to do with the beta, please visit the SageTV Community or the Hardware sections of the forum.
- Andy
I said absolutely NOTHING about stealing. Those were YOUR words... (IF that is what you meant when you said "stealing"). Sometimes things fall into areas that might be restricted and when you might not have mean "stealing" as you assumed, a post might be deleted.

Your response is PRECISELY the response I had anticipated and hence, the reason for asking where to go to avoid that type of trouble.

I am sorry if I have stepped on your toes somehow. The word 'restricted' that I used, appears to be restricted. I will avoid using the word restricted in the future.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-19-2005, 05:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Snoopy, take a chill pill!
Quote:
if I don't want to pay for "digital cable" (as it requires one digital box for each tuner, which I would need to rent also)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJohnson
By using the LG3410A set top box, I am able to get unencrypted digital channels from the local cable company without renting the cable company's set top box.
Quote:
It seems like this discussion could leak into a grey area is there a forum for so called 'restricted topics'?
It looked like you were asking where you can discuss 'grey areas' such as receiving digital cable without paying... Opus gently reminded everyone that the SageTV Forums is not the place for this type of discussions...

Recently case law (DeCSS/2600) also implies that it could even be illegal to link to places where illegal acts are discussed or illegal tools are hosted, so if a link to a 'gray area dicussion site' was posted, it probably would not stay on the forums for very long.

Anyway, this is now way off-topic for sagetv3... so to bring it back on course, I am still getting odd date/time localisation issues...

If I set belgium/French , I get 24hr clock, If I reset to Belgium/English I still get 24hr clock...
If I restart Sage, it goes back to 12hr clock... Reset French: back to 24hr clock... Reset English, stays at 24hr until a restart... Wierd...
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Glad that I went to bed last night.

Now back to original question.

One of the stations in Wichita KWCH-DT is broadcasting on RF 19.

Within that signal there are two subchannels: .1 which is the OTA HD signal and .2 which is the OTA signal of their weather radar.

Based upon what stanger89 is saying it appears that I can remap RF 19.1 to 12.1 and receive the signal.

How do I go about remapping the .2 sub channel to something that I can see?

Does the sub channel need to be recognized by the EPG (which it does not appear to be)?

Thanks in advance...

Randy
Old 08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
I am still getting odd date/time localisation issues...

If I set belgium/French , I get 24hr clock, If I reset to Belgium/English I still get 24hr clock...
If I restart Sage, it goes back to 12hr clock... Reset French: back to 24hr clock... Reset English, stays at 24hr until a restart... Wierd...
Yeah, I believe at least a couple bug reports were sent in about stuff like that. I'm curious, though: does Belgium/French stay at a 24hr clock after a restart? And, does it matter whether you are using a server or a client?

- Andy
Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
SageTVaholic

yes: BE/FR stays at 24hr clock with french format dates after a restart...
Not tried yet using a client or service/pseudoclient
Old 08-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

not to further the digression... but bear with me:

But using a QAM 256 tuner to view unencrypted digital cable (in this case generally this means OTA HD stations rebroadcast on digital cable) isn't illegal and isn't theft of service. They sell HDTV's with integrated ATSC/QAM tuners at Best Buy so it's not like you're in mail order hacker land here, it's common legitimate use. It's the same thing as using firewire to get cable HD but sans digital cable box.

I'm under the impression that there's actually some FCC ruling or statute that implies/dictates that the cable companies HAVE to provide local OTA HDTV channels "in the clear". Of course, besides message forum posts indicating that this is "fact" I haven't found substantial proof of this (anyone bueller?) and reading FCC documents is a real snooze fest.

I guess I'll find out if I call my cable compay (adelphia) to complain that only half the OTA channels that should be there are unencrypted.

Back to SageTV Discussion (i'll put my QAM support questions in a diff thread as to not pollute this further, if you wish to carry on the conversation please do so there and not muddy this thread further, like i did ) -->

rampy

Last edited by byopvr; 08-19-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Let's finish the digression: I already stated that I wasn't really sure _what_ was being discussed and therefore removed none of the original posts. [Edit: I now see snoopy deleted his original posts from when this started; I did not delete them, as I stated here.]

I was trying to respond to a question about where 'restricted' topics could be discussed, which made it sound to me as if perhaps at least one of the original posters felt they were discussing theft of service. I stated that there is no place in this forum for restricted topics, since if it is restricted, it will be removed. (Very few topics are actually restricted around here.) I then clarified what I meant, incuding adding that if that is NOT what was being discussed & if they felt it wasn't beta-related, to please discuss it somewhere outside this beta-related thread.

For all I know, this could all be related to a difference of interpretation of the word 'restricted', which to me means 'not allowed', not 'talk about it quietly over in the corner' or something else.

With that said, I would like to return this thread to beta-related topics. So, any further posts about this will either be 'restricted' or moved to a separate thread, depending on the post's content. Want to talk about what sort of topics may be restricted? Check the Community or General sections. In fact, I believe such discussions were started in the past, especially in response to a few topics that were removed.

Thank you.

- Andy

Edit:
P.S. Just to clarify: This is in no way meant to be a "yell" at byopvr for his additional comments. In fact, if it _is_ legal to use some other hardware to receive channels for which you subscribe (I don't think my cable co allows that, but the last I checked was quite some time ago), the hardware forum might be a good place to bring it up. It may depend on your service provider.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

3.0.7 Won't Start

I am having the same problem as henk99. I am running 3.0.5 but when I upgrade to 3.0.7 Sage never finishes loading. I have looked at the mmc/ignore_encoders line and it has several entries. I even tried a clean install and when I do it only has a couple of entries.

When I tune to an HDTV station or watch an HDTV file Sage is very sluggish. Menus take 10-15 seconds to load and another 10-15 seconds to activate my selection. I have not seen anyone else with this problem. I increased the buffers and the audio cleaned up nicely. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
For anyone following this: we solved the problem that henk99 was running into. It turns out that it was choking on a couple devices & adding them to the mmc/ignore_encoders property line allowed SageTV to continue. I'm sure it will be bugged for follow-up.

- Andy
Old 08-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Administrator

No idea on the HD stuff, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo
I am having the same problem as henk99. I am running 3.0.5 but when I upgrade to 3.0.7 Sage never finishes loading. I have looked at the mmc/ignore_encoders line and it has several entries. I even tried a clean install and when I do it only has a couple of entries.
The way we fixed this problem was to look at the sagetv_0.txt log file. In henk99's log, there was a line that started with systemCapDevices= and then listed some capture devices. For any other capture devices that don't look like you actually use them, add those names to the ignore line, separating each device name with a comma, such as:

mmc/ignore_encoders=<existing list of devices>,new device 1,new device 2

If there were no devices listed previously, it might end up looking something like:

mmc/ignore_encoders=ATI Rage Theater Video Capture,NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

There is no guarantee that this will solve your problem, but you never know.

- Andy
Old 08-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Sage User

I have been using sage to capture off a cable stb by firewire. It was getting better and better as I moved from sage 2.2 through the first two betas of version 3. WIth the clean install of 3.07 however, I lost audio and the channels take for ever to tune/play. HD taking about 10 seconds with analog/digital channels taking upwards of 45 seconds to tune. The actual recorded files play fine in other players with audio, so the file is being captured correctly. I was worried the beginning of the capture was not getting recorded, but in other players, it's there. So, it would seem that the problem is with sage. The audio thing is very confusing. I am using ac3 filter 070b set to spdf which worked perfectly with the former betas. I even did a clean install of Windows and fresh install of sage 3.07 just to make sure it was not the installer problem that some folks were having. What has changed in the third beta release that would cause this? Any ideas?

I am using directx 9c
java 1.5