SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Post SageTV v3.0.7 Beta

The SageTV Beta v3.0.7 is now available.

As always, thanks for all the testing, feedback, and bug reports in the previous round!

Here are some of the main changes:

Core Changes
  1. HDTV fixes:
    1. Support for the FusionHDTV5 Gold Plus ATSC and FusionHDTV3 Gold-T ATSC.
    2. Support for multiple ATSC cards of the same model (used to crash).
    3. Fixed a crash bug with the VBox USB-A 3560 encoder.
    4. Properly recognize the VBox USB-A 3560 BDA capture device.
    5. Reliably pick the first audio sub-stream for playback instead of picking the substream which offers the earliest codec information.
    6. Fixed some AC3 audio glitches.
    7. More robust TS stream parsing.
    8. Various stability fixes with HDTV capture and playback.
  2. Fixed a FSE glitch during sleep mode.
  3. Support for Sonic Cinemaster MCE Audio/Video decoders.
  4. Added file uploading to the MediaServer. [from when a new disk/CF card is inserted]
  5. Added thumbnail regeneration so picture files that are modified will also have their thumbnails regenerated
  6. Added property videoframe/mute_line_in_on_startup which defaults to false, and if set to true will mute the line-in on startup of SageTV.
  7. User is now explicitly informed of SageTVClient version/license mismatches.
  8. Fixed bugs where the position of the view was reset on exit/entry of a menu (like SageTV Recordings, the EPG, etc).
  9. Fixed ui/reverse_epg_channels so it works again
  10. Fixed several internationalization issues.

STV Changes

v3.0.6.6 - August 9, 2005
  1. Finished changes for restoring text shadows.
  2. Changing channels in video preview now supported during source setup.
  3. The Detailed Setup option to import an STV now looks for files that have an extension of "stvi" in order to try to prevent importing complete STVs into another STV & to prevent loading imports as if they are a full STV. see additional note below
  4. Imports are not allowed for the default STV file names from SageTV:
    SageTV3.stv & OriginalV2.stv. see additional note below
  5. The IR Receiver Port is cleared when choosing a remote config other than USB-UIRT or IRMan; otherwise SageTV may end up trying to respond to commands from multiple IR receivers.
  6. For HDTV airings, added initial HD icon in the show description areas.
    Also added the icon to the list entries for SageTV Recordings & similar style lists. Uses MarkerHDTV.png. [note: Oops, will function properly in the next version -Opus4]
  7. When adding items to music playlists, the options menus set default focus to the last playlist selected. The same goes for the options menu when a song is selected: if nothing was recently added to a playlist, the default button is "Play Song Now"; if there is a recent playlist, that playist will be highlighted instead.
  8. During capture device input selection in the source setup wizard, the user can now change the channel of the preview window if the input type is TV Tuner or Digital TV Tuner & it is not marked as externally tuned.
  9. Video Library: changed the "Back" button to act like the Back command rather than Left.
  10. Video Detail: imported videos under 1GB have their size shown in MB instead of GB.
  11. The marker icons shown in the description areas are displayed to the right of the show info instead of to the left.
  12. Playlist manager lists the number of segments in each playlist.
  13. Music Playlist Details: the playlist can be added to another playlist.
  14. Music Playlist Details: Rename Playlist option now uses the same menu as the Create Playlist (text entry menu) instead of a pop-up options menu.
  15. Music Playlist Details show the number of segments or songs for Playlists or Albums they contain.
  16. Music Playlist Details: Not allowed to add empty playlist to another playlist.
  17. System Information: Details for each Configured Input is updated after the menu is displayed to prevent locking the screen while waiting for the information to become available. As part of this, the section titles include a note about how many items remian to be updated. "(Updating N items)"
  18. Updated media file browser "Play File" option so that it doesn't add the selected file to the library before playback begins. [from when a new disk/CF card is inserted]
  19. Detailed Setup -> Multimedia: Uses pop-up menu to select Aspect Ratio Mode instead of cycling through the settings when the button is selected.
  20. Detailed Setup -> Advanced: Uses pop-up menu to select Load at Windows Startup mode instead of cycling through the settings when the button is selected.
  21. File Browser: Fixed file copy bug where the source dir was null if copying file from root. Also removed options to Copy All Files when the 'root' dir is really just a list of dirs to choose from instead of an actual path. [from when a new disk/CF card is inserted]

Misc Changes
  1. Installer includes new version (rev. D) of the SageTV 3 manual

Additional notes:
  • See Chapter 8 of the new v3 PDF manual (at the beta download link) for specifics on some documented new features.
  • The current wiz.bin and properties files are backed up as part of the upgrade install process... but being beta, it is always a good idea to make backup copies yourself.
  • If you wish to try v3, yet continue to use v2, then you should make a complete backup copy of your v2 installation directories, then install v3 to try it. If you wish to return to using v2, uninstall v3, re-install v2, then copy your v2 backup over that fresh v2 installation.

• Important Note for Imports: If you are using imports from nielm, be sure to change their file extensions from .stv to .stvi. Only .stvi files can be imported now. This is to prevent importing non-importable STV files. Also, note that you can no longer import any files into the default SageTV3.STV file; you must make a copy of just the SageTV3.STV file first (in the same directory where it already exists: <SageTV install path>\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3), clear the copy's read-only flag, then import into that copy.

You can download the betas and the updated manual at http://www.sagetv.com/beta.html

Please submit any bug reports to http://www.sagetv.com/bugs.html

Thanks for your help!

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like lots of tweaking and fixing in the new Beta. Unfortunately Friday night is a bad night to try and take the HTPC down to install the new Beta. A full night on Sci-fi to record.

Plus I'm workng a triple this weekend so I won't be able to install until at least Monday or Tuesday.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh perfect apparently the default installation directory changed so I've lost all my settings. What's the easiest way out of this?

To reinstall into the old directory? When I start the installer now its a repair or uninstall.

Maybe I am just crabby right now because this messed me up but this seems like a poor migration.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Copy your *.properties and wiz.* files from the old dir to the new dir. Make sure SageTV and the service (if applicable) are closed/stopped.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks.

Yea actually I see that part pretty clearly, but what about all the gazillions of add ons.

Maybe a copy all and replace nothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Copy your *.properties and wiz.* files from the old dir to the new dir. Make sure SageTV and the service (if applicable) are closed/stopped.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Administrator

I always just install an update over the top of the old version, after backing everything up -- the installer should automatically uninstall the old version & install the new version. You may have to change the install dir while installing, but it should remember the last install location. (unless you uninstall the old version first)

Edit: Be careful about simply copying the old properties file, though -- it will have some file paths that point to the old location. You could always touch those up manually if you want to go this way.

(I reposted, in case it was missed the first time.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

This is exactly what I did.

- Backed up the Frey directory. No worries there.

- Installed into whatever the default was. It has always been Frey Technologies so I assumed I was installing over the old version.

- Started Sage and it was clear I was a new user. No import directories stopped me. I was afraid to go further for fear all my shows would be deleted.

Nothing was migrated. My wiz.bin is 10k, now its 3k.

So basically I have two directories.

Frey Technologies - old data but doesn't work.

SageTV - New install that thinks I am a new user.

Oh and thankfully a backup of the original Frey dir.

I think there is a serious bug. Is this the first time the default dir changed? I don't have a machine I could test it on but I would sure check this out before I deployed further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I always just install an update over the top of the old version, after backing everything up -- the installer should automatically uninstall the old version & install the new version. You may have to change the install dir while installing, but it should remember the last install location. (unless you uninstall the old version first)

Edit: Be careful about simply copying the old properties file, though -- it will have some file paths that point to the old location. You could always touch those up manually if you want to go this way.

(I reposted, in case it was missed the first time.)

- Andy

Last edited by Hector; 08-12-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Sage Expert

Frey Technologies is no more. Hence going forward the default install directory no longer has "Frey Technologies" in the path. It is now SageTV as I understand it.

Note the web address you are now redirected to when going to the old "Frey Technologies" site address.

More than a few have been tripped up by this it seems.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 08-12-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

v3 has been installing to a different default dir the whole time.

If you install it w/o first uninstalling the old version, it will automatically know to install where the old version was installed. I have never used any default install location & it knows where I previously installed.

If you uninstall the old version before running the installer, it will revert to using the 'default' location, which is different from v2. But, if you specify that it is supposed to install where v2 was installed, it will install on top of the old location and keep all your current settings, etc.

That's what I've been doing for every beta -- I always tell it to install where the previous version was installed if it suggests a different location. For now, you should probably uninstall 3.0.7 & then reinstall it where it used to be installed. Your old files are still in that location, right?

You could still send a note to SageTV, but I'm not sure if they can automatically find the old install dir (except for the old default dir) if it gets uninstalled before running the installer. I'm no install program expert, so maybe they would know something to do for future installers.

- Andy
Old 08-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Someone does not understand something. Maybe it will end up being me.

Do you understand that THIS is NOT happening?

Quote:

If you install it w/o first uninstalling the old version, it will automatically know to install where the old version was installed.
I have installed many versions, I didn't do anything different. But this time something is different about the install. I have never changed the directory to SageTv but this time it happened by DEFAULT and my data was not migrated.

At least that is how it seems to be now.

EDIT: also this is not the first v3 install on my box.

EDIT2: Just to be clear I did not uninstall the previous version.

Last edited by Hector; 08-12-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Then that sounds like a problem in the installer & you should file a report on it; what you describe isn't something done on purpose & isn't the expected installer behavior. From the description of what happened, it sounded exactly like what happens on my system if I uninstall the old version first.

Your data is still in the old location, though, right? As far as I know your best bet at this point is still to uninstall this version & try reinstalling it while telling it to use the previous location -- don't accept the default this time. If that doesn't work, then the installer sounds really messed up on your system.

- Andy
Old 08-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually it munged up the old location too. It deleted the sage.exe and a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately I made a copy of it. I just recopied back to 'Frey Technologies'.

I am able to get back to 3.05 by just copying it back, but I am a little concerned something has changed elsewhere like in the registry or something in the win directory.

If I try to reinstall now, it recognizes (probably via the registry) that there is a current version (even tho there really isn't) and will only allow me to modify or repair and both will only go to the SageTv directory whether it exists or not. In other words I can't reinstall. And if I completely uninstall I am afraid of messing up my original install.

There's probably an easy way out, perhaps the version# is set in the registry somewhere. It must be because I have completely deleted the SageTv directory but it insists on 'repairing' that dir nevertheless.

The install was able to find the original directory because it copied SOME stuff out of it but it did NOT install into it.

Thanks for your help, as always it's much appreciated.

Quote:
Then that sounds like a problem in the installer & you should file a report on it; what you describe isn't something done on purpose & isn't the expected installer behavior. From the description of what happened, it sounded exactly like what happens on my system if I uninstall the old version first.

Your data is still in the old location, though, right? As far as I know your best bet at this point is still to uninstall this version & try reinstalling it while telling it to use the previous location -- don't accept the default this time. If that doesn't work, then the installer sounds really messed up on your system.

- Andy
Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
Actually it munged up the old location too. It deleted the sage.exe and a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately I made a copy of it. I just recopied back to 'Frey Technologies'.
That's part of what I've been trying to say -- the old verson gets uninstalled during the installation process. I just don't know why it didn't install to the old dir.

Quote:
If I try to reinstall now, it recognizes (probably via the registry) that there is a current version (even tho there really isn't) and will only allow me to modify or repair and both will only go to the SageTv directory whether it exists or not. In other words I can't reinstall. And if I completely uninstall I am afraid of messing up my original install.
But, that's the best way to get it installed correctly -- you have to uninstall before you can reinstall the same version. I don't believe there is anything to lose... you've already got all the data files backed up.

- Andy
Old 08-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Sage User

Wow this is a giant leap forward for my system. Using a Fusion 3 Gold I'm now able to tune and change channels with no problems at all. It looks PERFECT! Only issue I have now is that I get no audio at all. I'm using the NVidia audio decoder and I get audio when using my PVR-500, but nothing with the Fusion. If I play the HDTV recorded videos with Windows Media Player they have perfect audio. Anybody have any ideas before I submit a bug report?

-Jim
Old 08-12-2005, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Woooohooo! I'm currently recordings 2 ATSC shows and 1 NTSC show all at the same time! I can go from full screen to window mode/sleep mode too.

Those were the highest priority bugs for me.

Thank you!!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Dual ATI theater 550 pro cards still doesn't work, no sound or video from the second card.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

For what it's worth, I backed up my 3.0.5 install just in case of a problem, and installed 3.0.7 over it. It picked up all the settings from 3.0.5 flawlessly, no setup needed, everything went smooth. 3.0.7 seems to run a little better on my system, last beta was slightly choppy, like dropped frames , only a couple per minute - but noticible. 3.0.7 seems to have fixed that, also the guide comes up quicker, without the rotating sage icon. I'm pleased!
Rob
Old 08-12-2005, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there any way to "un-disable" this feature? I don't see an HD icon anywhere. Or is this completely taken out of version 3.0.7?

Quote:

STV Changes

v3.0.6.6 - August 9, 2005[list=1][*]For HDTV airings, added initial HD icon in the show description areas.
Also added the icon to the list entries for SageTV Recordings & similar style lists. Uses MarkerHDTV.png. [note: Oops, will function properly in the next version -Opus4]

- Andy
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Sage Icon

Very interesting - congrats on the new beta! Is QAM HD recording with the Fusion part of the plan, or is it target for the product OTA only? I understand the card will only decode unencrypted QAM signals.

Thanks,
mike
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah well. Of course my impatient guess was to take the hardest possible path. What I did was rename a copy of the old directory as SageTv and let it do a repair install into that. The 'repair' doesn't copy all the core files as it turns out and I had to upgrade a few of them myself.

At first all my recordings were gone but that's because the property file was still pointing to the old Frey dir and THAT is where it was reading wiz.bin. Soooooo edited all the property files then checked everything by date at a file by file level (interestingly enough there aren't THAT many without all the add-ons) to make sure everything got upgraded and now everything seems to be running.

Just out of curiosity I'd sort of like to do an un/install just to see where the problem was but as time goes on I find myself less enthusiastic about things that don't move me forward, heh.

thanks again

peace . . .

Quote:
That's part of what I've been trying to say -- the old verson gets uninstalled during the installation process. I just don't know why it didn't install to the old dir.

But, that's the best way to get it installed correctly -- you have to uninstall before you can reinstall the same version. I don't believe there is anything to lose... you've already got all the data files backed up.

- Andy