SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

DVI confusion...

Hey there....just putting the finishing touches on my first HTPC, powered by Sage. I am using a nvidia FX5200 card for outputting video. I may decide to hook up the DVI output (as opposed to the S-Video output) from the FX5200 to my Sony Wega 36", which has a DVI HDCP connector.

What cable rules must I follow to do this, as I seem to recall the two DVI interfaces being somehow different....

Additionally, I could also go from the FX5200's DVI out to component inputs on the Wega as well. Any thoughts on your experiences here would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 06:36 PM

You should be fine with the DVI-DVI connection on the TV. The drivers will let you output in standard TV resolutions. Not sure how you would go DVI-Component. nVidia only supports component out on the 6xxx line.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
You should be fine with the DVI-DVI connection on the TV. The drivers will let you output in standard TV resolutions. Not sure how you would go DVI-Component. nVidia only supports component out on the 6xxx line.
The Wega manual says "...the DVI input is EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers..."

Is that Sony bunk then?

thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 06:48 PM

I have a Sony too and it has that in the manual. I won't tell you to ignore it and have it bust your DVI port, but I know lots of users including myself are happliy able to use that DVI with the newer ATI and nVidia cards. Good luck .

P.S. Component is really the safest and least finicky way to hook a PC to an HDTV.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
I have a Sony too and it has that in the manual. I won't tell you to ignore it and have it bust your DVI port, but I know lots of users including myself are happliy able to use that DVI with the newer ATI and nVidia cards. Good luck .

P.S. Component is really the safest and least finicky way to hook a PC to an HDTV.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, just get a DVD-D cable to 3 component RCA's. If I do decide to go the DVI-DVI route then I need a DVI-D to DVi-D cable...is that correct?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:56 PM

Yes on the DVI to DVI route. I don't think there is such a thing as a DVI to componet cable as there is no easy to to convert from digital to analog.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

DVI is a cabling pinout, and can carry both analog and digital signals (DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-I for both - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI). Fortunately, many video cards produce DVI-I, and can be used with either analog or digital systems. Also, DVI and HDMI use the exact same signaling method, which makes conversion between the two easy (ignoring the issue of HDCP).

Sony added that disclaimer so that their support lines wouldn't have to deal with the issues that occur when you hook a computer to a TV (scan rates, overscan, etc.). Your TV will NOT be damaged by hooking it to your computer. Note that some TV's are better at rejecting "out of spec" signals than others. If your monitor can't handle the signal, correct it quickly - don't leave it displaying a "bad" signal.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by src666
DVI is a cabling pinout, and can carry both analog and digital signals (DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-I for both - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI). Fortunately, many video cards produce DVI-I, and can be used with either analog or digital systems.
However most video cards don't output component video over the DVI-I port, so such a cable won't work. What DVI-A caries is RGBHV, "Component Video" as it is generally known, is a different colorspace/signal, it's YPbPr.

Quote:
the DVI input is EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers
nVidias recent drivers include EIA-861 timings for use with CE devices.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am running almost the same setup as tvmaster2, I have an FX5500 hooked up via DVI-D cable to a Sony TV. I tried the VGA to component adapter and had nothing but headaches. The latest Nvidia drivers work great on the system and I have not had any problems.

When I was testing out the VGA to component option I tried everything imaginable, ATI video cards, Nvidia, I have a VGA to component cable and a VGA to Component adapter box from Radio Shack. I could get the picture to come up but it did not look good at all. The DVI interface is MUCH sharper and clearer. Just make sure you get a DVI-D cable (There is a big difference as SRC666 says).

With the Nvidia drivers it detects the Sony TV and I dont have to hook up a troubleshooting monitor at all, the drivers from Nvidia do everything.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:31 AM

Any kind of VGA to component converter will force you to have to use PowerStrip and that can be a pain. ATI 9500 and higher and nVidia 6200 and higher have native component connections that work just as plug and play as DVI. For my Sony I get bad white and black crush over DVI as well has loosing sync(only with 1080i, 720p works but not that is my native) at times. Component has been the only one to work 100%.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Me too. DVI to my Hitachi worked, but the overscan was barely tweakable and didn't make much of a difference. I got the component adapter for my ATI 9800, and haven't had a problem since.