SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation Is latest SageMC16x9 still the nicest looking UI/most stable/easiest to install STV?

I know everyone has their own reasons for choosing a particular STV. I've already spent 2 full days reading posts trying to decide which STV upgrade is best for Sage 2.2.8

This is what I'm looking for in an STV in order or priority:

1) All features of sageTV 2.2.8 are included and equally as stable.

2) UI looks closest to MS Media Center Edition 2005

3) Easiest to install and get running without editing and manually copying config files to make it all work.

4) Mainly interested in usuable PVR enhancement not included in original STV. I dont care so much about DVD, MUSIC, PICTURE, VIDEO viewing unless the functionality reasonably compares to standalone products.

Thanks!
-Michael
Old 06-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

I personally really like Meekell's STV. As far as basic PVR usability goes, I like how it presents all the shows in an easy-to-understand GUI, that looks pretty slick.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...hlight=meekell
Old 06-17-2005, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

1) Stability is there
2) Can't get much closer.
3) Only edit is to make the theme chooser work.
4) Try it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Sage Icon

SageMC all the way!!!!!! Just waiting for offline viewing of DVD's with DVDprofiler's info
JUC
Old 06-17-2005, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Angry

Okay, I simply unzipped the contents of SageMC_169_4.zip into my standard SageTV directory. I then started Sage and selected to use SageMC.stv in the advanced menu.

It looks like 70% of all menu items are missing and pretty much no graphics. Just a few ugly white fonts. I dont see the programing guide.

I think it's pretty lame that there's no set of complete step by step instructions for making SageMC_169_4.zip work on a standard SageTV install. I found an outdated PDF file for version 1.0 which only told me to unzip the contents to sagetv dir.

Can someone be kind enough to tell me the least amount of steps to make it work after I've unzipped the files to the correct directorys and specified the correct STV?

BTW: You guys are GREAT in replying quickly! Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

you're right, it is a little confusing because some of the stv's have you extracting things in different locations. I am away from home now but I do believe you just need to extract it into the SageTV folder found within the Freytechnologies folder. Make sure the structure was properly preserved. Did you extract the files why Sage was completely closed down (service too)? Have you tried restarting Sage? Just some thoughts.
JUC
Old 06-17-2005, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay, I got it all working finally. However, IMHO, it still doesnt look as nice as my original STV. The SageMC EPG doesnt look as nice as the original (no true alphablending). The SageMC themes dont look anything like the main config menus of SageTV not seamless at all. Also, I dont have an easy to access menu (in sageMC) to pull up the TVGuide while I'm watching watching TV.

Thanks anyway guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OriginalEPG.jpg (698.7 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg menu.jpg (387.6 KB, 373 views)
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The SageMC themes dont look anything like the main config menus of SageTV not seamless at all.
That's kind of the point with this STV isn't it? Something that looks different from the original? From my understanding this STV is designed for the casual end user. So the fact that the setup menus don't match the rest of the STV isn't much of a concern to me. I don't want the casual user poking around my configuration settings. So they shouldn't ever see the menus in the first place.

Quote:
I dont have an easy to access menu (in sageMC) to pull up the TVGuide while I'm watching watching TV.
I assume many people (like myself) simply have the commands linked to IR codes from the remote. I rarely use the menus for anything other than browsing existing shows. I have LiveTV guide, recorded tv, etc... all linked to remote commands so that they appear with the press of a single button.

I personally like the fact that this STV isn't cluttered with alot of uneeded menus. Of course everyone has their own wants and desires.

Last edited by blade; 06-17-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:13 PM

It is also designed to be used like MCE not just look like it. So if you want to use video background and Sage menu's that is not what it is deisnged for.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Sage User

You just need to map the menus to remote buttons. I haven't opened MCE 2005 since I got this STV.