SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Advise needed on PC for client and normal sagetv

hi all

I need sone advice on a sagetv or sagetv client set-up.

Currently i run sagetv only on my desktop pc. This pc is on only when i work on it, or when sagetv is recording something. I also have an old pc (PII-350) which is on 24/7 because it collects data for a weather station.
I am thinking about making a computer for use as a HTPC in the living room. It came to me that it could be handy to get a newer pc to replace the current data logger for the weather station. As this pc should be on at all times, it could be perfect for use as a pvr. The thing however is that this weather station pc is not even close to the living room. This makes using a remote or a tv out cable to the television set a problem. It is on a network thoug, so that's a plus.
My forst thought was to use another pc in the living room that runs sagetv client only. This could then be used for using a remote control and the actual connection to the televison set. However, i don't want this pc on 24/7.
Is there also a way to use one of these media center that get their data elsewhere on the network? It would not require an entire pc, but it can still play the recordings the other (weather station) pc did.
Do you guys have any advice on this situation? I would also like to know what are the minimum specs for a living room pc, if it is only needed for sage tv client (talking about Mhz, memory size, etc.).

Any help appreciated

Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

if playing back divx/xvid videos isn't important to you then just get an $85 hauppauge mediamvp, a client license and use matt's plugin.

all the ability of sage on a nice little silent client box. if they would just offer one with mpeg4 ability and component output i'd be set!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Erm....what is Matt's plugin? What does it do?

I have heard about a kiss player that also does xvid and divx. Also the new philips streamium devices appear to do this.
But using these devices means you don't have a sagetv interface right?
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Matt's plugin is listed in the Hardware related utilities and customizations -- see MVP Client. You get the full SageTV interface through the MVP with this plugin.

Other comments... the client PC would not need to be on all the time. As for a minimum spec, I think that would be a bit difficult to say, but any current PC should be able to do the job. Even many older ones would work, unless you try using some of the more processor intensive decoders/filter options that some people mention.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

learn it, live it, love it!

the mvp will give you a full sage interface with a few minor quirks. sage 3.0 will have the mvp client native.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=8035
Old 06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm...that sounds very interesting.
Does any of you know if more of these media players are supported by that plugin or the new version (3.0)? As far as i can see this hauppauge mvp is not a wireless one. I would like tit to be wireless.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

the mvp is the only device supported. many of us wish/hope that other devices such as a pinnacle showcenter or a buffalo link theater could be supported.

hauppauge has announced a wireless version of the mvp though but a release date has yet to be set.