SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

2.2.6 had major bugs too... It didn't render tranparencies properly in the STV.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Rant

Excuse my rant but: you would think that the only difference between the last RC and the next release would be changing the Release # constant and maybe "IFDEFing" out the debug log stuff.
And why is it we can't get decent change-log/release notes that are in "english" (specific bug addressed or specific function enhanced instead of either Programmer-Speak (only speaks to the guy that wrote the code) or the "many bug fixes" pat on the back junk.
And you can't painlessy roll back to a previous release (major), cause there isn't a roll-back Wiz / properties gizmo which should be a part of all Betas and releases. Therefore, I (and no doubt many others, that have been burned) am forced to just sit back and hope that there are enough brave souls out there to debug this stuff.
Thanks! -- Wish I could be more help....

TW (still running 2.0.20)

Last edited by teedublu; 03-14-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedublu
Excuse my rant but: you would think that the only difference between the last RC and the next release would be changing the Release # constant and maybe "IFDEFing" out the debug log stuff.
Just doing that can introduce new bugs not see in the debug version (from experience)...
Quote:
And you can't painlessy roll back to a previous release (major), cause there isn't a roll-back Wiz / properties gizmo which should be a part of all Betas and releases.
You relativley painlessly rollback using backups:

Backup Frey Tech dir...
install new version
Dont like it? Uninstall new version.
ReInstall old version.
restore backup.

It has worked for me several times... Theoretically, you only need to backup wiz.* and *.properties, but it is easier to do CTRL-C, CTRL-V on the Frey Tech dir...

You will only lose information about recordings made while the new version was running...
Old 03-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Where can I download 2.2.6 from? I just bought 2.2.7 and when I restarted my library paths are blank (they took about half an hour to import from a network share). I tried http://www.sage.tv/preDL.php?tmpFile...2_2_6Setup.exe, but no good. If I were you guys I would take 2.2.7 offline because if I hadn't already paid for it, I probably wouldn't have after wasting a half hour of my time because of a major bug like that...
Old 03-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

The older version is still online, so you can download v2.2.6 here:

SageTV:
http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V2_2_6RCSetup.exe

SageTVClient:
http://download.sage.tv/SageTVClient_V2_2_6RCSetup.exe

Wiz.bin is compatible between v2.2.6 & v2.2.7, so going backwards one version is OK.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:09 PM

thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Sage User

Unhappy

thanks on the trial i kept uninstalling thinking a reinstall would help , then i seen this post.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

No answer yet?

I can't believe there still isn't a fix for this problem. Someone must be taking a liquid lunch
Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaine2
I can't believe there still isn't a fix for this problem. Someone must be taking a liquid lunch
I don't disagree. Been almost two weeks since this major bug was announced rendering a major functionality non-functional. Quit messin' with the Linux upcoming release and fix the release version you gave us broken!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
I don't disagree. Been almost two weeks since this major bug was announced rendering a major functionality non-functional. Quit messin' with the Linux upcoming release and fix the release version you gave us broken!
Ditto
Old 03-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I have to agree... if this was a beta release I could understand waiting for the next beta, but this is a full release, fixing it should be a priority I would think.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I have to agree it should have been fixed already. But to be honest, I run the service, upgraded when it come out, added the libraries back in and haven't rebooted since. So it's a non-issue, unless I have to reboot. But I usually don't reboot for months on end.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
I have to agree it should have been fixed already. But to be honest, I run the service, upgraded when it come out, added the libraries back in and haven't rebooted since. So it's a non-issue, unless I have to reboot. But I usually don't reboot for months on end.

Gerry
That is a good point... I guess just knowing its there bugs me.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Sage User

<big snip>

My boss has a trememdous DVD collection and I am constantly ripping DVDs on a portable HD and them copying the ripped directories to my imported videos directory.

<another big snip>

Not what I would expect from a commercial application.

Last edited by Opus4; 03-25-2005 at 02:00 PM. Reason: removed discussion of DVD copying
Old 03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr
My boss has a trememdous DVD collection and I am constantly ripping DVDs on a portable HD and them copying the ripped directories to my imported videos directory. After copy, no cover art. Stop and restart sage service/client, re-add import dirs, now I see cover art.
Might not be the best idea to talk about pirating DVDs on an open forum!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr
My boss has a trememdous DVD collection and I am constantly ripping DVDs on a portable HD and them copying the ripped directories to my imported videos directory.

Not what I would expect from a commercial application.
Playing copied/ripped DVDs you don't own is also not something we would expect a commercial application to be used for. Please see the forum rules, specifically #4. I removed most of the rest of the post.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Patched/Fixed Version?

Do we know if there will be a patched/fixed version 2.2.7.1/2.2.8??? that will address the library bug? Or do we just need to wait for 3.0?

I really don't care which way the answer goes, just want to manage my own expectations..
Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Not a peep from Frey since Andy posted the official bug discovery notice 3/9. Current release version d/l of Sage still 2.2.7 with no mention or warning of the bug on Sage site. Disconcerting but won't stop me from continuing to use Sage.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
2.2.6 had major bugs too... It didn't render tranparencies properly in the STV.
True, but 2.2.6 was a beta release and bugs are expected while 2.2.7 is a production release supposedly ready for the masses capable of doing what it says it can in the manual.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Not a peep from Frey since Andy posted the official bug discovery notice 3/9. Current release version d/l of Sage still 2.2.7 with no mention or warning of the bug on Sage site. Disconcerting but won't stop me from continuing to use Sage.
Disconcerting indeed. On the surface of it, one would expect that with such a well defined bug (easily reproducible and independent of hardware configuration) the offending code would be located and fixed quickly and a patch posted. So one is lead to conclude that one of the following is true:

1) Frey's main priorities are 3.0 and Linux and fixing bugs in 2.2.7 is low on the list. (This is probable but why not fix 2.2.7? The library import bug doesn't sound like it would take a lot of time to patch)

2) Frey considers this a minor bug and not worth fixing. (I hope they don't think this way, that's a poor attitude towards existing customers and certainly loses them potential customers. In particular I have currently ceased recommending SageTV until this bug is addressed)

3) The library import bug is the exposed tip of some sort of huge problem within SageTV and Frey is feverishly working to solve/contain the larger problem but haven't been able to come to grips with it at this point. (This is my current thinking since I can't see why they would continue to abstain from posting a patch to address what seems to be a relatively easy problem to fix and certainly a quick win for customer satisfaction)

Regards
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Closed Thread