SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Sage User

Question never_stop_encoding=true

Does anyone know if the never_stop_encoding=true should be set on all dual tuner rigs, or is it only applicable to Rosylns? Is it supposed to be set on both tuners? Are there any drawbacks to keeping it set to true? What does it actually do?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharker
Does anyone know if the never_stop_encoding=true should be set on all dual tuner rigs, or is it only applicable to Rosylns? Is it supposed to be set on both tuners? Are there any drawbacks to keeping it set to true? What does it actually do?
I would guess that is has the most application to the PVR-350. The PVR-350 had(has?) a problem starting and stopping encoding in that it would sometimes hang the card (at least when you are also using it to watch a program). A work around was to have the card keep encoding. I don't know if this problem has been fixed via device driver updates since I just use my card for playback.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharker
I have used this setting quite extensively, so I'll give you my $0.03 (adjusted for inflation, of course).

Preface: I have a dual tuner Roslyn system and before Sage 2.1 and the run as a service option I was having problems with the system dropping audio and only recording vid. Sortof makes watching your fave program a little less enjoyable.

Anywho, I set that to "true" in the properties file and instead of getting 1-3 days of audio I was getting a couple weeks worth of stellar recording, until it would just rear its ugly head and then I would have to reboot the server. Setting that to "true", of course, makes the system never stop recording. It will continue to record on the last channel recorded or viewed until a scheduled recording or live viewing comes up that changes the channel. Then the process starts all over. Also, with it set to "true", the recordings on your HDD other than scheduled ones will not be saved so there is no worry that it will fill up your recording space.

Yes, I had it set on both tuners and NO I don't see any drawbacks to enabling it.

Now that 2.1 is out, I run the system as a service and it seems more stable to me as I have not had to enable the never_stop_encoding "feature" and I currently get a week or so of stability. Knowing this, of course, all I need to do is refresh the service periodically and all is well. I have not had to reboot due to audio failure in months. MS critical updates are a different matter though.

Hope this helps ya,

Beau