SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

Xvid Playback

I notice that all my xvid look rather dark when playing back as compaired to the Mpeg2 files. I recently installed the new 1.1.0 Xvid beta that has a brightness adjuster in the decoder settings. If this worked I'd be happy and it would solve my problems. However it affects nothing at all.

I already used Zoomplayer to unregister the divx decoder that gets installed with Sage. So I know it's not using that. I also do not have Divx or any other mp4 decoders installed besides.

I did notice a file called xvidcore.dll in my sage directory, should I delete that too?? Any pointers would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

Nevermind, I deleted that xvidcore.dll in the sage directory and everythings working as expected now.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Sage User

try to use ffdshow...you can adjust just about any settings with that.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Sage Icon

Is that something you put in yourself? That .dll is not on my fresh install of SageTV 2.2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
Nevermind, I deleted that xvidcore.dll in the sage directory and everythings working as expected now.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Sage Icon

No... i didn't put it there, not sure where it came from actually. I don't believe Sage put it there either... weird.

I had tried ffdshow, but it's a little too complicated for me. Now that I've got the xvids showing up a little brighter it looks great, I'm happy.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Xvid to MPG?

I'd like to convert some of my xvids to an mpeg format that I can then import into Sage? Has anybody done this? Can you recommend a tool that will do this conversion?

Ultimately I'd like to go xvid to DVD.. but one thing at a time!

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
I'd like to convert some of my xvids to an mpeg format that I can then import into Sage? Has anybody done this? Can you recommend a tool that will do this conversion?

Ultimately I'd like to go xvid to DVD.. but one thing at a time!

Thanks!
When you say 'import' are you just talking about having them show up in the imported videos section? The only reason I ask is because as long as you have the xvid decoder installed on your system then you can just import the xvid and play through Sage. Or are you looking to convert to Mpeg so that you can watch on an MVP client? Basically, what is your reasoning for wanting to convert from xvid?

As for a conversion tool, it would help if you could specify exactly what you are looking to convert to. I am assuming mpeg-2, as you also mention wanting to go to DVD eventually to. Personally, I use Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder, but its not free. There are freeware apps that can do this for you though, like TMPGenc.

If you want some good tutorials on converting to and from pretty much any format, check out the guides here.

Hope that helps...
-Dan
Old 03-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRex
When you say 'import' are you just talking about having them show up in the imported videos section? The only reason I ask is because as long as you have the xvid decoder installed on your system then you can just import the xvid and play through Sage. Or are you looking to convert to Mpeg so that you can watch on an MVP client? Basically, what is your reasoning for wanting to convert from xvid?

As for a conversion tool, it would help if you could specify exactly what you are looking to convert to. I am assuming mpeg-2, as you also mention wanting to go to DVD eventually to. Personally, I use Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder, but its not free. There are freeware apps that can do this for you though, like TMPGenc.

If you want some good tutorials on converting to and from pretty much any format, check out the guides here.

Hope that helps...
-Dan
Thanks Dan.. I wasn't aware you could play the xvid .avi files directly though Sage (if the codec is installed).. actually I use an XCard so that may or may not work.. Guess I will give it a go! If I don't have to convert the .avi files to mpeg-2 then that would be great!

I do want to burn these .avi files to DVD though, so I'll check TMPEnc and see if it can encode xvid to mpeg-2.

Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

TMPGenc can be a bit daunting at first. If you check out that third link above (or here) you can answer all your questions. There are lists of different programs for getting the job done, and guides on how to do the conversion using most of the programs listed. Pretty much everything used on there is freeware, and the forums are pretty helpful as well.

-Dan