SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Sage User

Waht does all this mean to a New Member?

Again, I am new at this and it may help some others. Like back in school, the only dumb question is the one that's NOT asked.

What is? Actisys, DVCR, HTPC, IR Transmitter, XMLTV plugin, Girder why do I need that, also why do I need a cable box when my TV is cable ready, want the cable co. charge me for the extra hardware?

Yes. I know these are dumb questions, but I want to learn. I'm sure there are other abbreviations that I want know, but the experts will.

Is there a page on this forum for us to check and learn?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Re: Waht does all this mean to a New Member?

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin369
[B]What is? Actisys, DVCR, HTPC, IR Transmitter, XMLTV plugin, Girder why do I need that, also why do I need a cable box when my TV is cable ready, want the cable co. charge me for the extra hardware?
No dumb questions. And this is a good one.

The Actisys IR-200L is an IR transmitter that connects to your serial port to send IR signals out to a cable or satellite box.

DVCR (as far as I know) stands for Digital VCR, or a VCR-Like software program that turns a computer into a recording device like a VCR. Also, DVCR is the name of the Creative card that some people use.

HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Computer, a computer that is dedicated to connecting to or controlling a home theater.

IR transmitter is a device that sends infrared signals out from a computer (or other device) to an IR receiver (like on your cable box).

XMLTV plugin is a program outside of SageTV that allows people who live outside of the SageTV service areas to get guide data.

Girder is a program that interfaces IR signals received by a computer with programs on your computer. It's not a simple program to use, but is very, very powerful. www.girder.nl for more information on it.

If all of your channels are available to you without a cable box, then you don't need one. Most people these days, though, are required to have a cable box to receive all of the channels they want from their cable provider. Digital cable channels require a cable box. And, all satellite channels require a satellite receiver. Most basic cable channels, though, are analog and won't require a cable box for most people.

Hope that helps as a decent beginning!
Old 06-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Sage User

Thank you very much, this helps.

You guys and everyone on this forum are great and very helpful.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

We try.