SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Sage User

Import directory problems

I have been having issues using multiple instances of SageTV to access previously recorded media (e.g., .mpeg shows or ripped DVDs) stored on networked (but visible and mapped) HD partitions. At present I have two issues in particular, and would welcome any suggestions. Detailed system configuration information is provided for context.

I have systems in two different rooms, Room 1 and Room 2, each with the following setup:

· SageTV
· PVR150 w/IR remote receiver and transmitter
· Comcast digital cable box (I just switched from DISH)

For SageTV purposes, I have three computer systems set up on a local network, as follows:

Room 1:

· Computer A having three media storage HD partitions shared with all other computers on the network (\\A\CompA_One; \\A\CompA_Two; \\A\CompA_Three)

· Computer B having SageTV, PVR150, and one media storage HD partition shared with all other computers on the network (\\B\CompB_One)

Room 2:

· Computer C having SageTV, PVR150, and one media storage HD partition shared with all other computers on the network (\\C\CompC_One)

All of these are visible to each system and show up under the My Network Places (all use XP Pro). In both Room 1 and Room 2 I have the input directories for imported videos set up either as a local drive (if on the same computer) or a network UNC as follows:

Room 1, Computer B:

· \\A\CompA_One

· \\A\CompA_Two

· \\A\CompA_Three

· CompB_One

Room 2, Computer C:

· \\A\CompA_One

· \\A\CompA_Two

· \\A\CompA_Three

· CompC_One

ISSUE #1

All parts of the SageTV system in Room 1 appear to be working fine (with the exception of ISSUE #2 noted below). My Room 1 computer sees and finds all partitions fine. However, in Room 2, it sees only the local drive, CompC_One. I have tried everything, including refreshing imports, restarting SageTV, etc.

Per a suggestion from Frey, I have installed the latest beta on both, 2.2.4. The only difference between the two installs is that in Room 1, Computer B, I had 2.1 installed first, and I installed 2.2.4 beta over the top. In Room 2, Computer C, I started originally with an install of 2.2.4 beta. It would be odd, but I wonder if this could be a problem.

Also, I wonder if there could be some conflict using two different SageTV systems accessing videos off the same UNC mapped drives. I tried shutting off one of the SageTVs but that did not seem to make a difference.

ISSUE #2

I also experience problems with SageTV on the Room 1 system (otherwise presently working) recognizing the correct number of video files in import directories and subdirectories. Within the same structure outlined above, I have the following distributed media storage system on my network:

· \\A\CompA_One\Action (two files)
Adventure (three files)
Etc.....
· \\A\CompA_Two\Action (three files)
Adventure (four files)
Etc.....
· \\A\CompA_Three\Action (six files)
Adventure (two files)
Etc.....
· \\B\CompB_One\Action (0 files)
Adventure (two files)
Etc.....
· \\C\CompC_One\Action (one files)
Adventure (seven files)
Etc.....

After refreshing in SageTV it shows an action folder indicating the number of files in the folder. However, it shows the incorrect number. For example, rather than showing 12 files in the Action folder, it will only show 6 files. Again, this is despite refreshing. Now, I have added these 12 files to the various Action subdirectories at various times, not all at once. So I am wondering whether it did a refresh earlier, when I only had six files in the different Action subdirectories, and now somehow does not check them again. It is a bug. Is there a fix? Or a workaround? Is there a way to erase what is apparantly a retained memory in SageTV that sees only an earlier number of files and does not update/refresh properly?

Also, in some of these situations I have yet another level of subdirectory, e.g.:

· \\A\CompA_One\Action (two files)
· \\A\CompA_One\Action\Die Hard (three files)

How should Sage handle this situation? Should SageTV show the Action folder having two files, three files (viewing the Die Hard folder as a single file), or five files (recognizing all five video files, regardless of whether some are in a subdirectory? I do not think it is handling this correctly.

Finally, all of these has been done using the original SageTV stv. I have not yet ventured to learn how to use a different stv. Would going that route address any of these quirky problems or otherwise allow me to better manage my distributed storage directory system?

Many thanks for any responses.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm probably not the best reference for this, my imports with the sage service are still not working but I can answer your second question.

The import counts is not recursive. It only shows the number of file in a subdirectory (and a subdirectory is counted as a file)

Gog

[EDIT] might as well complain a bit myself... In my setup, the import directory is on the client PC and even though "everybody" has acess to the shared drive, my link \\client\import won't import the files shared there. Looks like the same issue but on my side I was suspecting that the client on XP pro and the server on 2k was giving me trouble. Maybe not...[/EDIT]

Last edited by Gog; 01-26-2005 at 12:44 PM.