SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Angry Sage 2.1 installed itself over 2.0?

This is the first time I've ever really been FURIOUS at this program.

I liked the look of the SageMC skin, and I realized that it required 2.1 to run, so I thought hey, this is a good time to upgrade. (I've been running 2.0 since it was released...)

So I copied the Frey Technologies folder, made a backup, in case I needed to go back. No sense being hasty! Installation of 2.1 went fine. Installation of the SageMC stv file went fine.

BUT, after watching a few recorded shows, I noticed that playback was now very jerky. I flipped STVs around and confirmed that it's not any of those, it must be the engine. Plus, the SageMC stv doesn't support commercial skip, so I thought I'd go back to 2.0. Here's where things get annoying.

I renamed the new "Frey Technologies" installation folder to "Frey Technologies 2.1" and renamed the old "copy of..." folder back to the original title. I have 2.1 there if needed, but my 2.0 files are back in action. All is well!

And then I doubleclicked on the SageTV icon on the desktop.

What happened? Rather than just run the old Sage, it reinstalled 2.1 before starting up - this was ON TOP of my 2.0 files - wiping out my 2.0 once and for all!!

"What the go**amned &*#@^ing piece of !@% is going on here?" I kindly and gently asked the television. I checked out the SageTV desktop shortcut, and rather than the standard (to me) program-to-run/folder-to-run-in sort of thing, it just says to run "SageTV" with no location info. Is this some sort of registry/COM-based thing? What gives?

I think this is a crappy trick to pull. The program shortcut ought to be just that - a PROGRAM SHORTCUT - not an installer.

So now I am stuck with jerky video and no time to troubleshoot.

[edit]

This is under WinXP/SP2, 256MB with a PVR250. The system is a Via EPIA M9000; I'm using the onboard decoder and svideo output to the tv. Snarl.

Last edited by rrussell; 01-24-2005 at 09:08 AM. Reason: adding system info
Old 01-24-2005, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

update to the newest beta since you have lost your backup of 2.0

if you want to go back you will have to ditch your wiz.bin and start it over
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

You should have uninstalled the new version, and reinstalled the old version. SageTV always updates a bunch of stuff (Dshow filters, registry settings, etc) so it's not a good idea and/or not possible to just go back like that.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Stanger, I swear I could point at any number of posts that say "Just copy the old files out of the way in case you need to go back."

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but hasn't that been the way since the old days of 1.4?

Even if I'm mistaken in that, what burns me is that the shortcut, which in every other program I've used simply starts the application, instead started an undesired installer which ran over my old installation without telling me it was going to. IMO it needs at the VERY least to prompt and ask, hey, I notice you've got an old version here, mind if I update it? This is presumptuous programming at its absolute worst!

I wouldn't be half as torqued if I hadn't gone out of my way to back it up - not just the wiz.bin and sage.props files, but the entire Frey folder! As an added bonus, it's stuttery and I have to start troubleshooting all over again.

Snarl!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell
Stanger, I swear I could point at any number of posts that say "Just copy the old files out of the way in case you need to go back."
There is an old FAQ entry that covers saving the old data & uninstalling/reinstalling if the upgrade doesn't work for you. It also recommends that you COPY the old files back into place, keeping your old/saved copy intact. The only thing I think that post could use is perhaps a note to save the entire dir tree, "just in case", not just the 3 data files.

Quote:
Even if I'm mistaken in that, what burns me is that the shortcut, which in every other program I've used simply starts the application, instead started an undesired installer which ran over my old installation without telling me it was going to. IMO it needs at the VERY least to prompt and ask, hey, I notice you've got an old version here, mind if I update it?
Frey uses bug reports to find out what isn't working, so you could file a report suggesting that the shortcut has an undesirable side effect in some situations.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Sage Expert

I do have to agree with you. Employing these type shortcuts can be devastating. At least a prompt would be nice.

The other alternative is to delete the Sage-supplied shortcuts and create the standard benign type with each installation / upgrade but that's 20/20 hindsight.

DFA
Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Frey uses bug reports to find out what isn't working, so you could file a report suggesting that the shortcut has an undesirable side effect in some situations.
Ooo, that's a great idea. I will go off and rant there.

(First time I've EVER had to use it!)
Old 01-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Sage Icon

Actually it might have been the Windows installer service, it noticed that you had a older 'modified' version, so it automatically started the re-install repair. I'd say blame Microsoft more than Sage for that one.

I guess it depends on what installer they are using though (never paid attention to which one it is).
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

But I can run sagetv.exe and not have it reinstall everything. Regardless of whose installer Sage is based on, when I start the program, all I want is the program started - not the installation fixed up!

(waah)
Old 01-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Sage User

What you describe is normal Windows Installer behavior (if the creator of the installer package set it up). The installation saw a problem and did a self-healing. There's no blame to be placed here. Self-healing apps are a wonderful thing.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Sage User

So rrussell, one of the suggested solutions was to upgrade to the current beta 2.2.4; have you done this and did it improve the jerkyness of playback? I'm currious as I'm considering upgrading as well and would like to know if the latest beta improves on this problem in 2.1. Thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi, all -

I submitted a bug report, and George reported that they're going to remove this functionality in future releases. Yay!

I have upgraded to the beta, but I haven't yet had a chance to spend any quality time in front of the set since then. (New child keeps me hopping.) I hope to soon, maybe tonight.

I noticed another thread about 2.1 being a mem/cpu hog - perhaps this is related. I do only have 256mb (only?) in the box, and 2.1 (the non-beta, before I upgraded) showed 97meg being taken by sage. I could very well be at the point where I'm hitting the swapfile.