SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to rpartridge
Firefly Button Mapping

I've been using the firefly remote for a month now and have been generally happy. My one issue is that when I tried to map the firefly button to Sagetv in the firefly setup, it would launch a white window that didn't do anything. If I closed that window it would close sage entirely.
As a workaround I'm using girder to map one button as the power button so I can wake sage without focus. Is there a way to do this without girder? (I'd rather only have one remote software running as opposed to 2)
If girder is the only way to do this, is it easy to ditch beyond media basic and run firefly drivers only?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Bob
Old 01-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I believe that you can uninstall the beyond media basic stuff and just install the "Basic Firefly Drivers" package.

http://www.snapstream.com/Download/firefly/default.asp

These are just the hardware drivers and should work with girder + girder firefly plugin.

If you just want to run a single piece of remote software, I would do this and go with girder since it can do so much other stuff as well...
Old 01-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpartridge
I've been using the firefly remote for a month now and have been generally happy. My one issue is that when I tried to map the firefly button to Sagetv in the firefly setup, it would launch a white window that didn't do anything.
this is what i have in the Global.xml file for the firefly software to map the firefly button to SageTV:

<Actions Button="Firefly" Description="SnapStream.Firefly.Core.LaunchAction">
<LaunchAction ActivationState="Down" Program="C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\SageTV.exe" Arguments="-awake" Description="SageTV" />
</Actions>

i also have a page at http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.sagetv.htm#firefly where i also discuss how i have customized the
SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml file -- i should rename that file but i have it working with SageTV 2.0.19 and i think i have all of the classnames in it to recognize the other recent versions. otherwise if you are using another version of SageTV that this xml does not recognize, then add the correct classname at the top of the file. you'll have to use firefly's AppIdentifier.exe to get the classname if you need it. also, on my SageTV xml file, i have the close/exit button at the top of the firefly remote control remapped to do the sleep command instead of exiting and completely shutting down SageTV.

<Actions Button="Close" Description="Sleep">
<KeyAction Keys="^z" ActivationState="DownRepeat" />
<SleepAction Sleep="500" />
<MouseAction Type="ClickLeft" />
</Actions>

you can take out the lines for <SleepAction Sleep="500" /> and <MouseAction Type="ClickLeft" /> since i put those in to force a regaining of focus by doing a mouse click on the BMB menu if that happens to be on. it took a while for me to figure out how to set up commands in the firefly software. i could never get the hang of doing girder which i found even more confusing to set up and configure -- i'm sorry for not being as smart as all the other people who happen to use girder but girder and i can't seem to get along. so i gave up on girder and totally embraced using the firefly. once i figured out how the firefly profile xml files are set up (just remember that you need a firefly xml profile file for each software you want to use for the remote or else you'll have the global commands from the global.xml file) and once i found out how to *NOT* have the Beyond Media Basic menu show up when booting up (just pull up the BMB menu, go into the BMB settings, go into interface settings, and just say "no" to visible on startup), then i was in remote control heaven.

ruel

Last edited by ruel; 01-19-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to rpartridge
thanks so much to both of you! Not sure which route to take yet but i definitely appreciate the info!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry, I must be lame... I can't find a global.xml file anywhere on my system. I would like to use the XML file on Ruel's site, but can't get Sage to recognize it. Is there something I have to do in Sage to tell it to use the settings in that "SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml" file, or is the missing Global.xml file my problem?

Running FireFly 1.2.0.816 w/ Sage 2.1.10.

Can anyone help a newbie out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Nevermind... Figured out Girder.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Sage User

I have Beyond Media and a firefly, and am not sure to go the sagetv or Beyong Media route.

I like the firefly, and want to allow it to control both apps, leaving the firefly button to Beyong Media for now.

Ruel's page seems down and I want to try his route to get the rest of firefly to work. Out of the box, most stuff works just find, just about 5 keys that need to be remapped in SageTv!

Anyone know where to ruel's xml and discussion about firefly and SageTV?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu
Ruel's page seems down and I want to try his route to get the rest of firefly to work.
just try http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.sagetv.htm#firefly again or try again later. the server that my site is on is actually over in the other side of the world. and even if it was nearer, you know how the internet can be busy to get through to different sites at times. the site is up but the internet that you travel to get there can be busy like how the freeways and turnpikes can be busy with traffic jams going this way and that to whatever your destination may be going to.

ruel
Old 03-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertHere
Sorry, I must be lame... I can't find a global.xml file anywhere on my system. I would like to use the XML file on Ruel's site, but can't get Sage to recognize it. Is there something I have to do in Sage to tell it to use the settings in that "SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml" file, or is the missing Global.xml file my problem?

Running FireFly 1.2.0.816 w/ Sage 2.1.10.

Can anyone help a newbie out?

Thanks in advance.
i didn't see this message before. anyways, for the firefly sagetv xml file, you'll have to edit that file to edit in the correct classname at the top of the sagetv xml txt file. you'll have to use firefly's AppIdentifier.exe to get the classname for SageTV 2.1.10. i thought i had that in there, but it sounds like you'll have to edit that in.

(i'm still using 2.0.19 because it simply still works for me. for me at the moment, i say: why upgrade for the sake of upgrading when something simply works for me -- particularly when working great with the nielm custom STV and with all the changes that i made to the menu.xml for the STV.... but i'm waiting for SageTV 2.2.8 to see if that version fixes the import library bug and then i'll decide then whether to finally upgrade or to stick with what i would say is the reliable version 2.0.19 of SageTV.)

ruel