SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:37 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

Official SageTV 3.0 Information

Since there are a number of questions spread across a few different threads I would like to start this thread as the official SageTV 3.0 question thread. Our general plans for the 3.0 release was to announce that we have expanded support for SageTV into Linux and Media Extenders. This in no way means we are abandoning the Windows product. Having the Windows product in conjunction with the Linux product allows Windows clients to connect to Linux servers as we demonstrated at CES.

General 3.0 Release information:
- Online Scheduling will be available for any SageTV 3.0 product
- Enhanced User Interface
- Enhanced Configuration Wizard allowing more setup to be accomplished within the Setup Wizard
- Expansion of SageTV to Linux and Media Extenders in addition to Windows

Windows Release Information:
- We are targeting this spring for a version 3.0 release and this will be a free upgrade to all current SageTV 2.x customers.
- In the meantime we will release a version 2.2 to complete the bug fixes we were working on before the show.

Linux:
- The Linux version of SageTV allows a low cost implementation of Media Center technology to consumers. Linux deployments of SageTV can also communicate with the Windows version of the SageTV Client for streaming across a network.
- Linux based systems will be available through OEMs who will integrate SageTV into systems for sale to end users
- Complete systems will also be sold by Frey or one of Frey's partners. These systems will start at $400 and will included single and dual-tuner configurations in addition to a range of hard drive space for storage.
- We will be asking for beta testers in the coming weeks to test the new Linux system by purchasing an early adopter system directly from Frey. (More information will follow in the next week or two)

Media Extender:
- Media Extender support for SageTV allows TVs throughout the home to connect to the SageTV Media Center without the need for a local PC. Media Extender support pricing will be available beginning at $99 this spring.
- The initial support for Media Extenders will be through the Media MVP. We will announce support for additional devices as the year progresses.
- The licensing structure will allow a certain number of extender connections to the server. These licenses will be available with the sale of the MVP from us or as an add-on license if you already own an MVP.

For those of you interested in what we showed at CES, our demo included the following:
- A linux powered SageTV Media Center with dual tuners, a 200GB drive connected to a Plasma for immediate access to the UI and playback
- A Media Extender connected to the server providing the same SageTV UI and LiveTV streaming from the server
- A Windows Client connected to the server just as the product exists today.

We'll release more information on the product as the dates draw closer and I'll answer as many questions as I can along the way. Thank you to everyone for being patient as we expanded the support of SageTV throughou the home to give the marketplace a product currently unavailable from any other provider.

Regards,
Dan
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the update. I have one question for you. I am looking at buying the Client license but I was wandering if the Media Extender comes out will I be able to upgrade my client license to work with the Media Extender.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkardatzke
- Linux based systems will be available through OEMs who will integrate SageTV into systems for sale to end users
- Complete systems will also be sold by Frey or one of Frey's partners. These systems will start at $400 and will included single and dual-tuner configurations in addition to a range of hard drive space for storage.
- We will be asking for beta testers in the coming weeks to test the new Linux system by purchasing an early adopter system directly from Frey. (More information will follow in the next week or two)
Could some of your loyal customers download the Linux software and mess with it maybe with no support without buying an OEM system?

Why the limitation to OEMs?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Sage Icon

I'm assuming the Media Extender takes the place of a Linux SageTV Client, or is a Linux SageTV Client possible?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

what if you already own a client can it be updated I only bought it to use it on an mvp
Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson
what if you already own a client can it be updated I only bought it to use it on an mvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkardatzke
- The licensing structure will allow a certain number of extender connections to the server. These licenses will be available with the sale of the MVP from us or as an add-on license if you already own an MVP.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Sage Icon

Stranger, we can read...

That does not answer whether:
1. The extender licenses are the same licenses as the previous Sage Client licenses
2. If existing Sage Client licenses can be converted to the 'media extender' licenses.

Knowing how flexible Frey has been in the past, I assume it will be. Although if it isn't I will just keep using Matt's Media MVP plugin... And if they make that not function in v3.0 and won't convert existing Sage Client licenses... Well... I'll pout.

I already own two Sage Client licenses, and use two Media MVPs (and no PC based clients). I'm not giving them more money to do the same thing I do today.

I'm more interested in what the 'future' extenders will be. Something a little more capable than the Media MVP would definitely open my wallet back up.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
[/b]

Last edited by JasonJoel; 01-12-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcox
Could some of your loyal customers download the Linux software and mess with it maybe with no support without buying an OEM system?

I assume on of the most important goals of the Linux version is to standardize on a very specific set of hardware and software. Probably THE most costly problem (in terms of reputation and support) with most PC based PVR systems today is the issues that people have getting their own hardware and software combinations to work. That's the beauty of Tivo. The software isn't any better than Sage (heck, I'd say it's not nearly as good) but they can sell it to Joe Blow without too many worries because it will "just work".

This standardization on one specific set of hardware and software will almost certainly mean that the Linux version wo't be something you can just download to your own system and expect to work without tons of hassles.

Dan, here's a question. How will playback be handled on the linux version? With it be through a hardware decoder or software? One of the reasons I've only dabbled briefly with MythTV is because it seems like all of the good software for delivering quality playback is on Windows via directshow filters and things like FFDShow.

Finally, do you have any news on the HDTV front? I truly despise Miscrosoft, but I have to admit, knowing that they currently do support unencrypted HDTV and that they will support CableCard technology in the future makes it hard for me to continue to ignore MCE.

Last edited by Watter; 01-12-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry, my brain turned that question around. For some reason I read it as:

"What if we already own an MVP"

Old 01-13-2005, 01:08 AM
SageTVaholic

hey dkardatzke
I thought you were going to announce something about playback issues????

if I missed it can someone point it out

I really hope they add full screen exclusive mode
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Version 3.0 and no support for HDTV?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Sage Icon

I'm with you kny3twalker... I would have thought that playback would have been looked at even with the current beta though... Honeslty if the other programmers can create their own allocator/presenter and nail down any possibility of video corruption, why isn't Sage doing this aswell?

Or maybe they have already made plans to include that in the final release of the current beta?!?! Please!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:32 AM
SageTVaholic

well SageTV is using renderless VMR9 just not the exclusive fullscreen mode like video games use

I am guessing but anyone with a fairly new computer could probably use VMR9 if SageTV went all the way with the recommended use of renderless VMR9
Old 01-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

In case you guys hadn't noticed there is a beta 2.2.3 out now. To me that would indicate there still is quite a ways to go before an official 3.0 comes out.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is Spring the target date for the official release or for the beta? There was a good deal of time (months) between the first version 2 beta and official release. Should we expect a version 3 beta soon?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

Quote:

We are still considering an unsupported version for Linux but have not determined what this option would be. Keep in mind that a software only version for Linux is more complex than a Windows version since there are many different distributions of Linux.

We'll be creating a new feedback form on our website where you can share your thoughts on options for this type of release. I'll post the link when it becomes available.

Quote:
I'm assuming the Media Extender takes the place of a Linux SageTV Client, or is a Linux SageTV Client possible?
Eventually there will be a Linux Client available but not until after the 3.0 release. The availability will be the same as the Linux SageTV Media Center version.

Quote:
Finally, do you have any news on the HDTV front?
We are currently testing the best option for supporting HDTV and will provide more information on availability when we can.

I'll also follow up shortly on the Client questions as it relates to the Media Extender. Also, please try to keep this thread for questions on the Version 3.0 announcement and submit any beta issues at www.sagetv.com/bugs.html. A new beta version 2.2.3 was released yesterday at www.sagetv.com/beta.html.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Questions

Dan,

A couple of questions:

1. Are online scheduling and Media Extender support ports of the custom stv's that are currently available?
2. What is current status of Studio? Are there any plans to release it, and if so, in the near future?

Just wanted to add a Kiss-a$$ comment: I really am enjoying using this software and now have a lot of my friends at work ready to build their own PVR with SageTV. Great software.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 AM
SageTVaholic

wow I got over looked
please let me know what the status is for software playback
I tried the newest beta and still have problems
I would really appreciate it
Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

Quote:
Are online scheduling and Media Extender support ports of the custom stv's that are currently available?
These features will be available directly from us as part of the 3.0 release. Any support already offered from user designed plugins or stvs may or may not work after the 3.0 release depending on how they are integrated.

Quote:
What is current status of Studio? Are there any plans to release it, and if so, in the near future?
The Studio is still only available to OEMs and a limited group of private testers. We will determine a possible consumer release after the launch of version 3.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
please let me know what the status is for software playback
As I mentioned, please submit all bugs related to a beta release at www.sagetv.com/bugs.html.