SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Sage User

DVD DeCrypter best format for SAGETV

Hi all,

Seeing tht the DVD Decrypter forum is shut down, and enough people here use the program, I figured I would ask it here.

What is the best format to rip a DVD to disk, IFO, ISO, or file?

Better yet what are the pros and cons of each?

Disk space is not a problem, and I would e looking for a lossless format.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 01-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I would just rip the file structure to disk with no recompression. ISO format is good if you wanna burn later, or are bothered by the file structure of the disk being on your hard drive, but you have to worry about using an ISO mounting tool to be able to use it from the disk that way. IFO is a file within the directory structure of the DVD that tells the player what information it needs to know about the movie and it's files, length etc....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

File mode (all DVD files, IFO, BUP, VOB) is the way to go, primarily because it's the only mode natively supported by Sage (and other apps). ISOs aren't natively supported by anything.

FWIW, I use DVD Shrink for all my ripping, I know it creates the correct structure. It also has the added benefit of allowing you to rip just the main movie to save some space without sacrificing PQ.

Also, there's a section in the 2.1 manual (in your SageTV directory) that discusses playing/setting up ripped DVDs in Sage.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Sage User

Ok,
Thanks for the quick feedback. I was using IFO mode and will switch to file. I was having a problem with SAGETV not being able to play back the DVDs that I ripped in IFO mode (filesystem error), so I will try to rip them in file mode and see how that goes.

Anyone have any comments on combining two disk DVD sets? The file structure looks like they could all be dumped in the same Directory (i.e. the filenames increase across both disks.

Thanks again,
Chris

PS I assume that File mode is still "decrypting" the disk?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Sage User

FYI,
I was refering to the option in DVD Decrypter that would rip the dvd in IFO mode. I did manage to rip one like this and it plays throuhg SAGETV, but the others that I ripped today, do not want to play. Thus my reasoning to switch to file mode.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy
Ok,
Thanks for the quick feedback. I was using IFO mode and will switch to file. I was having a problem with SAGETV not being able to play back the DVDs that I ripped in IFO mode (filesystem error), so I will try to rip them in file mode and see how that goes.
Yeah, I'm not really sure about DVD Decrypter, but I know my last try with Smartripper I had to use file mode and select all files. But if I were you, I'd give DVD Shrink a shot, I know it works (I've ripped 92 DVDs thus far) and it's really easy.

Quote:
Anyone have any comments on combining two disk DVD sets? The file structure looks like they could all be dumped in the same Directory (i.e. the filenames increase across both disks.
Yeah, DVD Shrink can do this quite easilly, I just did it with the LOTR EE set. Basically you just rip the first disc, then open the rip, go to re-author add the first title, stick the second disc in, go back to re-author and add the main title off that to, then do a Backup and DVD Shrink takes care of it.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Sage User

Stanger,
I think I will switch to DVD Shrink. Looks like the same as DVD Decryptor, but at least the help forum is not shut down. As well there seems to be more support for DVD Shrink. Just a little new learning curve.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to LegolasX21E Send a message via Yahoo to LegolasX21E
I definatly like DVD shrink better, as for mounting images, use Daemon-Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Sage Icon

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I like DVD Shrink for one purpose only.
  1. Ability to compress parts of a disc in an automated/manual or combined mode. This to me is pretty valuable and is the main reason to use this tool.

I prefer DVD Decrypter over DVD shrink for 3 reasons when used as a "RIP" tool.
  1. First DVD Decrypter can handle more decryption types the DVD Shrink can. I've ran into a lot of discs lately that DVD Shrink chokes on but DVD Decrypter will rip with no problem at all.
  2. DVD Decrypter supports a command line so it can be scripted and can be used easily from within an STV like Cayars or from any other programming langauge or script/batch file.
  3. DVD Decrypter is faster then DVD Shrink at pure Rips.

I think it really depends on how you plan to use the tool. If you don't mind using the GUI from a PC then DVD Shrink is pretty good. If you want to make RIPs from your HTPC with a remote then an STV with DVD Scripted is best.

In regards to the RIP itself. IFO mode is not a good choice for SageTV use. Either "Disk" mode or "ISO" mode is the way to go. However, unless you are using an STV like Cayars that can automount the ISO for you behind the scenes using Daemon Tools then the "DISK" mode is going to be your real "only" choice.

I myself prefer ISO mode over Disk mode. I would always prefer to have one file over numerious with directories involved. Seems to me that there is less to go wrong (ldirectory permissions). It's easier on the file system. It's easier to use in my oppinion in a supported STV getting the graphic to show up in SageTV. It's easier for me to move them around my system.

To me it's also a No Brainer to make a new disk this way. You can use DVD Decrypter to burn the disk back for you with a simple batch file/script (or GUI). Just click the ISO put a disc and and let it go. Same with Nero or Roxio, just click the ISO ...

No question in my mind regarding Daemon Tools for mounting purposes. It works, it works well, it never crashes, it's free, it's fast. What more is there to say?

BTW, a nice combination you can do for discs that don't rip well in DVD Shrink is to RIP them in DVD Decrypter first into an ISO file. You can then open the ISO file up directly in DVD Shrink and the CSS/CP is gone.

With all the above said I really do like both programs a lot and I use them both but often times for different purposes. If DVD Shrink had a command line then I'd probably use it exclusively except for the discs it doesn't handle. As it is now I RIP much of my DVDs directly from my STV using DVD Decrypter.

Learn to use both of them and you'll get a good feel for when to use one over the other. BTW, did anyone yet mention SmartRipper.