SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-02-2005, 04:30 AM
Sage Icon

Problem tuning one channel

My channel 14 has a problem where static is overlayed on the video stream on and off. It looks as if the tuner isn't tuned perfectly to the channel. The audio remains fine always.

I've tried always auto tune on and off in sage properties. Neither mad a difference. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Perhaps the signal strength is borderline & the tuner cuts out a bit every so often? Using all the existing cable splits & exact cable, how does that channel come in directly on the TV?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

The channel looks perfect on a regular tv. There doesn't seem to be any issue with it. The static seems to be in a regular pattern, meaning the static is there, it's not there, it's there, etc.

Makes me think it's related to the frequency it's locking the channel at may be very slightly off. Is there anything else I might try?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

What tuner card are you using?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

PVR-250 rev. 16, I've got two of them and they both exhibit this problem.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Then it isn't what I was thinking it might have been. I had 2 tuners cards that had FM tuners. The antenna input for the FM was picking up some pager frequency and leaking it across into the TV tuner part. That caused on/off interference on one of my channesl (think was 62). I just unhooked the FM antenanna input and put a 75 ohm terminator on it to solve my problem.

Since that's not your problem (hopefully), could your tuner card be too close to something else in your computer such has a hard drive controller, ethernet, or video card? There is a bunch of hash floating around inside computers and maybe it's picking up some of its own stuff.

Since you say it's a repeating on/off type of intererence, does it happen to time out when your hard drive light flashes?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Sage Icon

In the hauppauge tuning software my channel 14 displays perfectly... there is no snow appearing at all.

So this is definately a problem with Sage and has nothing to do with the incoming signal or the tuner card.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Sage User

I am having the exact same problem with a 350.

winTV2000 looks great for channel 99 Sage looks like noisey crud.

any ideas what ?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
In the hauppauge tuning software my channel 14 displays perfectly... there is no snow appearing at all.

So this is definately a problem with Sage and has nothing to do with the incoming signal or the tuner card.
I found this thread while searching google for the exact same problem. However it should interest you to know I'm using Windows Media Center Edition 2005, not Sage TV. The problem you are describing is exactly the same problem, and it's same channel too, 14. I've found that when changing to channel 14, it appears in colour for a split second before the picture changes to black and white with snow interference.

I'm using the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 external tuner with the latest drivers, and I've also confirmed that the channel tunes properly using Hauppauge's own TV software. I also do not have an FM antenna plugged in to my tuner.

I'm thinking this might warrant a support call to Hauppauge, and that Sage TV (and MCE2005) is not the problem here. Unless anyone has found a work-around or fix for this yet?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Sage Icon

I was able to work around this issue with the information from this thread: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...light=channels

However, still being unsatified with my crappy analogue quality I ended up hooking up my digital box with a USB-Uirt. Now all the channel are amazing quality, I'm very happy with this move.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Sage User

Yes the above mentioned thread helped me as well.. This fix alters the setting for Microsoft direct TV (I think that's what its called anyways) which sage and snapsteam both use.. I suspect it may solve your problem as well