SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Sage User

Sage TV stopped working

After months of working, my sage tv stopped working. I have tried to reinstall 2.1 but it always hangs at "SageTV core initializing" when starting. I have to reboot the computer to make the blue startup screen disappear. I have tried to go back to 2.0 to no avail. I get a error message. HELP
Old 12-30-2004, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

try moving the frey folder to your desktop (after uninstalling)
then install SageTV fresh
and then you can try to savage what you can from the properties file and wiz bin

see if that can get you started though
Old 12-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowser
After months of working, my sage tv stopped working. I have tried to reinstall 2.1 but it always hangs at "SageTV core initializing" when starting. I have to reboot the computer to make the blue startup screen disappear. I have tried to go back to 2.0 to no avail. I get a error message. HELP
Did you have any sort of system crash recently? I seem to recall seeing posts from a few other people who commented that they had a problem something like theat when they had an invalid recording file. See if you've got a recent recording that is corrupt. (Or, check for a recent library addition.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

look for any with mulitple files of the same recording
or files with small of 0 file size
Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 PM

Splash screen hangs at "Sagetv Core is initializing..."

I have the exact same problem and never saw a reply that applies to me. I had used SageTV 2.0 & 2.1 for months semi-reliably (automatic recording was dependable, but the UI would lock up once a week or so while viewing recorded shows). Then both SageTV & XP locked up (task mgr was of no use). After reboot, my SageTV experience has been miserable ever since.

Initial setup:
Athlon XP 2600+
MSI KT600-based MB
512-MB RAM
PVR 250-MCE
Creative Video Blaster
ATI 9600
(2) Maxtor 160GB disk
XP Pro
SageTV 2.0/2.1

To try to fix it I tried:
* Install XP Pro & SageTV on another partition (same h/w config).
* Remove PVR 250-MCE, remove & re-install SageTV (both versions 2.0 & 2.1).
* Remove Creative Video Blaster, remove & re-install SageTV (both versions 2.0 & 2.1).
* Install from scratch on different h/w:
Dual Opteron 242
1GB RAM
MSI KT880-based MB
PVR 250-MCE or Creative Video Blaster (tried individually)
ATI 9600 (a different card than other PC)
(2) Maxtor 160GB disk
XP Pro
Tried both SageTV 2.0 & 2.1

In every case the result was the same:
* SageTV (& XP) locked up as soon as I was midway through setup (after I was to the point of viewing Live TV). After reset & reboot the blue splash screen hung again at "Sagetv Core is initializing...". I could use the task mgr to kill th SageTV process. It would do this whether I tried a default-option install or customized (transparent menus).

* I downloaded & installed BeyondTV 3.52 just to confirm that my h/w is OK. The PVR 250-MCE works fine with BeyondTV.

Any comments or suggestions?

Old 02-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Very Frustrated

I too am having a similar problem.

I have 2.2.6 RC on my clients (3) and server. I would watch a show, and all will be fine (just on the server with no sage service). After a while (it varies), I can no longer play any recording besides the currently being played recording. I would go back, choose another recording and hit Watch Now and the UI would hang. I would bring up the task manager and try to KILL SAGETV.EXE. The UI would go away but the SAGETV.EXE would still remain in the task manager. I tried PSKILL.EXE as well and it still remained. I needed to reboot the SAGE Server to get rid of the SAGETV.EXE. This happens within an hour of SAGETV being up. This all happens with just the SAGETV Server. When I throw clients at the server it has the same behavior, the cleint works for a while then the UI hangs. I go to the SAGETV Server and the UI is hung just as stated above.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

-- follower ---
Old 02-23-2005, 11:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Try looking to see if you might multiple installs of javas. Go into your Add/Remove apps and remove all versions of java. Go into Program Files and delete the Java directory. Go to www.java.com and download the latest. Now either try to repair your Frey install or copy the directory to your desktop and do a fresh install. Once that is working copy your wiz.bin back in. Hope this helps.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Sage Icon

my money is on the sage.properties file.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am testing now. I removed java, then deleted the dir c:\Program Files\Java. Re installed the latest java. Copied my whole Frey dir to another drive. Removed SageTV and deleted the directory. Reinstalled the latest drivers for the Plextor PX-TV402U from the Plextor site. Rebooted.

Set up the Plextor using the USB-UIRT to change a Sony IODigital Cablevision box.

I am starting to record a couple of shows. I will then start watching, taping, watching, etc. until I can no longer "Watch Now" any recording or live TV. At which point, when it hangs, I can not even exit the app. Going to TaskManager to End Process, the UI goes away but the app is still listed in the TaskManager.

We will see. Thanks for the suggestions.

>>>>---Follower--->>---
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV taped for 10 hours and things looked okay. I pointed a Client at it and the client and the server hung just as stated above.

Follower --->>---
Old 02-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Sage User

what does java have to do with SageTV?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

The UI is a java application.

>>>>===Follower====>>=--
Old 02-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Sage Icon

Besides everything, nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel
what does java have to do with SageTV?

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have been talking with Frey Support about this. The plextor driver has been failing. I had a Gyration Keyboard/Mouse attached to the Motherboard USB and I removed it. I also went to the Device Manager for my USB hub and shut off power saving... SageTV has been up for 15 hours (it used to fail in an hour or so). I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope this helps others.

>>>>>===== follower ===>>==--
Old 02-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Sage Icon

I am having this same failure - Hanging on "Core Initializing". In Task manager, there is no sage application, only the process running.

I setting up a new installation (using 2.2.6) to be a server. I plan to run it in service mode to be more robust, but when I have tried to start the service, it hangs as well.

I plan to run one MPV client process on this machine as well (also 2.2.6), so I have that installed too, but have not run it yet.

Tonight I plan to wipe it all away and start again with 2.1 first and get that running. Then try to add the client.

The wife is getting impatient... Not to mention the toddler's Barney withdrawal