SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage Servers Down? *Eat My Words*

I've just had to readd my channel lineups... but now it won't pull any data. I have data for a handful of channels, but everything else is no-data? Anyone else seeing this, or can offer an explination? Is there any way to check this?

--Mike

Last edited by m0ng00se30; 12-20-2004 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Updated INFO
Old 12-19-2004, 06:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Try giving it a few minutes, the last time I had to reload my linup it took a while. If you have anything then the servers are probably fine.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just for the heck of it I uninstalled and reinstalled... and it tried to download again... I got the exact same channels... as before... makes me think something is wrong somewhere in the chain. Oh well I'll just keep trying!

--Mike
Old 12-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Still nothing... Guess I'll try again in the AM!!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

ok Ive uninstalled, and reinstalled.. wiped wiz, and prop files. I download a new lineup, and I get theexact few channels as with the last 2 installs... al the rest are no data...?? any ideas? If I remember right the program data is in WIZ.BIN so if I'm wiping it out... the lineup is downloading, but apparently its in complete... but Sage thinks it has it all.

-Mike

Last edited by m0ng00se30; 12-20-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Administrator

How many channels do you have & how fast is your connection? I just completely redid the configuration on my test setup & it is still downloading/updating the EPG, so it can take a while to get the entire EPG when first set up. (I don't remember how long it took to get the entire ~14 days for the EPG previously.)

Edit: In this case, it took 20 minutes, give or take, to get the entire EPG downloaded.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'm not sure if it's the JAVA routines that are slow, or if the EPG server is throttled back to prevent overload... In anycase, I have 3,000Kbps Internet service and with about a 90 channel line up it takes at least 5 minutes to download the EPG data (sometimes even longer on the very first attempt with a new setup).

I've also noticed that if you don't let it get the entire EPG data downloaded and updated with a new install, that if you start trying to use SageTV in the middle of the process it does seem to get stuck with only a few channels listed in the guide.

Sometimes, shutting down SageTV and restarting it will trigger it to try and complete the EPG download. Otherwise, it could take until the next day when it tries again to get everything (and even then, if you happen to be using SageTV at that time it might not get everything).

Best thing to do is after you set up all your tuners and channel settings, just leave it set for at least 10 or 15 minutes without doing anything else. Watch your modem/router/hard drive lights and wait until everything comes to a complete stop. With luck, then you should have the full EPG list.

Not sure why, but that's how it's worked best for me whenever I do a clean re-install of SageTV. Hope it works for you also.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a 4Meg cable connection and DISH EPG, and a Basica 50+ channel cable. Its never taken for than 5 minutes in the past!... I have left it like you suggest for over an hour... and I get the same number of channels everytime... everything else is NO DATA. Its like its reading an cache from somewhere or something, but I have wiped out the WIZ.BIN so all the data should be gone, right?

This is starting to frustrate me... I"ll keep trying tho!

--Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

If I hadn't just gotten my HD Channel finally I would really be this dang computer!!!

--Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Sage Icon

I would contact support.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have... still waiting on a reply.

I would blame my own stuff if it wasn't getting the exact same channels on each and every install. I've checked my internet I'm getting over 3mb from dslreports... I've rebooted all my routers... NETSTAT shows the Sage is trying to communicate with sage.tv @ port 7760 (I think that was it)... I've watched the traffic and waited for it to stop after I added my tuners stops in less than 2 minutes...

properties file show "chan_download_complete=true" ... I've done everything that I know to do, and as long as I want to watch comedy, amc, bet, cmt or 1 or 2 other channels I'm good to know... hasn't been a favorite on any of those channels.

--Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok... I setup another machine... and I WAS able to download all the current EPG data!!!! So I'm man enough to admin I was wrong about the SageTV servers... BUT I"m still confused as to how this can be happening. I still haven't heard back from Frey... and I could really use some ideas... PLEASE ANYONE?

EPG data is saved in wiz.bin right? Or is there another file somewhere that I don't know about? I'm just trying to figure out how it pulls the exact same channels everytime, but never gets all of them.

--Mike
Old 12-21-2004, 05:56 AM
Sage Icon

Well the sage.properties contains the actual choices of lineups so deleting that may work for you. You may at this point want to do an uninstall and then delete the Sage directory completely and then reboot and reinstall. If you still have the problem after that start looking at firewall issues. Perhaps you recently installed SP2 and the internal firewall could now be blocking connections. Who knows at this point.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Tox... but been there done that... 50 times. I've uninstalled, deleted, reinstalled.. even tried 2.2. No firewall issues... Checked that SP2 didn't get installed... I wonder if Sage caches its download somewhere before it parses it into whatever file holds it?

I really don't want to redo this machine, but if I don't here from Frey soon I'll be forced to reformat or move on to something else....

Thanks Guys