SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-11-2004, 05:02 PM

Trouble with Trial Client Connecting to SageServer

Computer #1
2.4 processor with 1 gig of RAM.
Full Version of Sage 2.1
XP Home SP1

Computer #2
2.4 Processor with 1 gig of RAM
Trial version of Sage 2.1 client
XP Home SP1

Computer #3
1.8 Processor 512 Megs of RAM
Trial Version of Sage 2.1 Client
XP Pro SP1

Full retail version works fine on my computer (#1), thought I would try the client program out on my parents computers (#2 and #3). All connected with a D-Link 604 DSL Rounter. On the Firewall of the router I have opened port 42024. I have had a successful hit with telnet using that port (it doesn't say connection failed). Using netstat -a on computer #1 it has the following ComputerName:42024 LISTENING. When running the client on both #2 and #3 it shows the starting menu for a second then shows the following message

connection to SageServer has been lost.
Attempting to restore connection

I have tried starting sage with the Windows Service and without on Comp.#1. Both times same message. I have started the service as different users, still same outcome. I am starting to feel like a failure, and I am completly out of ideas. It is permissions, networks, ports, router bad? Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Administrator

On the server, did you enable the SageTV Server in Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Advanced?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:32 AM

Sorry about that, I knew I was forgetting some details.

Yes, I have enabled the Server. I don't know if you need
to have any file permission set though?

I have also tried connecting using IP and using the computer name. It always returns with the same message.

Thanks for replying.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Can you ping the Server from the Client machines? Can you access the Server from the Client machines from other apps? Are your PCs set for static IPs or obtain from router? If using static double check subnet and gateway settings for accuracy. Same workgroup name used for all configs on PCs? In other words verify network setup, it may not be a Sage issure. Could also be a permissions issue as you've alluded to. I've kept it simple and all 5 PCs in our house use same user name to auto-log in so didn't have to mess with setting up permissions for different user names! I haven't had to open any special ports etc. on my D-Link 624 wireless acces point/router for inhouse networking BTW.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:45 PM

From the server machine and the clients I have successfully pinged all the computers. I have mapped a shared folder from the server machine to the client machines and the server has mapped folders from the client server. They are all in the same workgroup. When looking in the network neighborhood all 3 computers are listed. We are using dynamic IP on all three computer.

Last night when playing computer games on the LAN, we hosted a game on each computer and there were no problems of connection or dropped games.

I have added User Accounts on the Client Machines with the same name as the user logged in on the Server Machine.

After all of this I have the same problem of getting the main menu and then to the message of Lost connection.

It feels like I am so close, I am afraid I am missing a very simple step somewhere.

Thanks for giving me more ideas of things to try.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyg11
From the server machine and the clients I have successfully pinged all the computers. I have mapped a shared folder from the server machine to the client machines and the server has mapped folders from the client server. They are all in the same workgroup. When looking in the network neighborhood all 3 computers are listed. We are using dynamic IP on all three computer.

Last night when playing computer games on the LAN, we hosted a game on each computer and there were no problems of connection or dropped games.

I have added User Accounts on the Client Machines with the same name as the user logged in on the Server Machine.

After all of this I have the same problem of getting the main menu and then to the message of Lost connection.

It feels like I am so close, I am afraid I am missing a very simple step somewhere.

Thanks for giving me more ideas of things to try.
Have you added user accounts on the Server for those logging into Clients? For SageClient on a remote PC to have access to the Server the Server has to allow that Client user access to the Server not the Server allowed access to the Client I'm 99.999% certain (I'm not 100% sure of anything except death and taxes) .

From a Client network neighborhood (NNH) may "see" the Server but that doesn't necessarily mean the Client can access the Server. From a Client that isn't connecting to Save, open NNH, browse to workgroup, and click the Server to attempt to see it's contents. If it opens and you can see files etc. still doesn't mean enough rights. Create some text file and save it to the Server from the Client. Close the file and reopen file now on Server, make some change to the file and save it to the Server again. That ought verify full read, write, change rights I think.

If all that works and SageClient from Client PC can't see Sage on the Server then I'd say it's a Sage config issue. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
Have you added user accounts on the Server for those logging into Clients? For SageClient on a remote PC to have access to the Server the Server has to allow that Client user access to the Server not the Server allowed access to the Client I'm 99.999% certain (I'm not 100% sure of anything except death and taxes) .
Yes, and no. There seems to be a little confusion about when and where accounts are needed.

First, to the best of my knowledge, you do not need to setup any special acounts on the server for the client to connect to it, that is internal to Sage and doesn't rely on anything in Windows (just like you can setup an FTP server and allow access by accounts not setup in Windows).

Viewing TV recordings, you should not need anything special here either, this, again (AFIAK) is internal to Sage. When you view a Sage recording (or LiveTV) the server reads the file and streams it to the client, again I don't think there's any Windows/account stuff necessary.

Now here is where it gets more complicated. For imported media (stuff in the library) things work differently. Here, if I understand correctly, the Sage server does no streaming, the client directly tries to access the file at the path specified by the server. So for stuff in the library it needs to be available at the same path on all machines, and all machines need access to it, so you may need to set up accounts so that the client PC can access the appropriate location on the server's filesystem.

Again, just to reiterate, you shouldn't need anything special just to get the client to connect to the server.

Now to the OP, I see you're trying to run two clients. I suspect that since you are running them both as the trial this could be causing some problems. For example, I know that when running a registered version of the client the server will only allow you to connect from one PC, if you change PCs you have to restart the server. Perhaps try restarting Sage on the server, and then try just one client. Also doublecheck and make sure you're running the exact same version (ie 2.1.11) on both server and client.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Yes, and no. There seems to be a little confusion about when and where accounts are needed.

First, to the best of my knowledge, you do not need to setup any special acounts on the server for the client to connect to it, that is internal to Sage and doesn't rely on anything in Windows (just like you can setup an FTP server and allow access by accounts not setup in Windows).

Viewing TV recordings, you should not need anything special here either, this, again (AFIAK) is internal to Sage. When you view a Sage recording (or LiveTV) the server reads the file and streams it to the client, again I don't think there's any Windows/account stuff necessary.

Now here is where it gets more complicated. For imported media (stuff in the library) things work differently. Here, if I understand correctly, the Sage server does no streaming, the client directly tries to access the file at the path specified by the server. So for stuff in the library it needs to be available at the same path on all machines, and all machines need access to it, so you may need to set up accounts so that the client PC can access the appropriate location on the server's filesystem.

Again, just to reiterate, you shouldn't need anything special just to get the client to connect to the server.

Now to the OP, I see you're trying to run two clients. I suspect that since you are running them both as the trial this could be causing some problems. For example, I know that when running a registered version of the client the server will only allow you to connect from one PC, if you change PCs you have to restart the server. Perhaps try restarting Sage on the server, and then try just one client. Also doublecheck and make sure you're running the exact same version (ie 2.1.11) on both server and client.
You're right! Fascinating, learn something new everyday. Sage does indeed apear to bypass XP user security settings. I just created a new dumby user account on my HTPC and Client from it can indeed connect to Sage Server. Disabled Guest account on Server and attempted to reconnect Client again with dumby account, still works but things like comskip didn't work. OK, left Server Guest account diabled and relogged into Client using same user name as logged into Server (account with Admin rights on both systems). Strange here, comskip still doesn't work, and XP asks for user name and password trying to see video partition even though logged in with same user name as Client. Re-enable Server Guest account and back to normal... Oh well, atleast everything is working on my setup but doesn't help twyg11.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:17 PM

Wow! great info.
Here is the situation. I brought my Server to my parents house. My main computer and my dad's are identical machines and wanted to see what SageTV looks like,and he wanted to see how if he could use the other machine as a client machine. I took my computer home and was going to impress him on how everything worked and how easy it was to set up. Well, that didn't go so well.

I am now back at my house, and I have brought back the 1.8 processor computer back with me, after buying a router tommorrow I will try all of your suggestions. I am hoping to have better luck tommorrow. Thank you for taking the time and responding with such great info.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I believe the server streams all the library media also & that the only reason people have had to use UNC paths or mapped drives in order to have the client access the files in the same way is to enable some of the customizations that access those files directly. The customizations are what fails w/o direct access, not SageTV playback should work just fine. Even the built-in media thumbnails in the latest version are loaded by SageTV instead of the client needing direct access.

Sorry; I'm not sure what else to say about the orig question -- I'll go with what stanger89 suggested: try a single client and make sure they are the same version.

Has anyone tried connecting a trial client to a registered server lately?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.