SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-17-2004, 01:37 PM

Well MS reccommends a 5900 or higher for MCE to do VMR9 correclty. However, at a lower resolution I am successfull with my 5700 - even in Sage.

Technically a 440mx is not capable of doing VMR9 at all since it is not a DX9 card. Most of the load is handled by the CPU. That might be why running exclusive fs helps since that is a little easier on a CPU.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Sage User

I'm running VMR9 on a 2.2ghz AMD/FX5200 @ 720x480x60hz with no tears outputting to a TV. It took me a few hours to get this working and I nearly gave up. I'll try to get more info on my exact setup tonight. I had tears watching live TV and DVD rips and it was driving me crazy... Now to see if this dll switch fixes the FF issue. If anyone wants to know an exact setting, let me know..
Old 12-17-2004, 07:40 PM
SageTVaholic

thats cause you are using a SDTV not HDTV and using svideo output
please correct me if I am worng
furthermore this is getting the discussion off topic

I believe 5200 would have a very difficult time doing 720x480p
it bearly does 720x480i
Old 12-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Yup, sorry I missed the 'p' part of the posts before. Althought it was a pain to get it working even for 720x480i...
Old 01-02-2005, 03:39 AM
SageTVaholic

if you want to install directx9.0c redist. update see this topic
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9191
Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Sage Icon

OK. I will be rebuilding a box this week, including reloading XPhome. My plan was to Install from my original XP disc, then install SP2. Will this get me the latest DX9c with the best quartz.dll? If not, how should I proceed?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

I just recently thought I'd try this too... I installed Windows XP Pro SP1, once it finished I downloaded the SP2 update through windows update. Unfortunately I was still left with the ff/rw jerky bug.

So I had to end up replacing the quartz.dll with the larger older version. I'm still using the version from this poat: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...9&postcount=22

I've copied over my existing file located in c:\windows\system32 while in safe mode.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

So they have released a hot fix, but they still have the wrong file in the standard SP2 update???? WTF?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

It's seems quite rediculous if you ask me... A big company like that doesn't even give a hoot about fixing this obvious problem. But then again MCE uses different methods for displaying its VMR9 as I understand it.

I downloaded the latest 9.0c update, I searched it and noticed that it did have the larger quartz.dll, however upon installing it, it did not replave the version I had already...

This is all a mystery and a bit confusion.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
So they have released a hot fix, but they still have the wrong file in the standard SP2 update???? WTF?
IIRC the hotfix fixes 1 problem (something with Bob deinterlacing) but not the inverted feilds problem that I believe is the actual cause of many/most of these reports.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
IIRC the hotfix fixes 1 problem (something with Bob deinterlacing) but not the inverted feilds problem that I believe is the actual cause of many/most of these reports.
So what is your recomendation?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Unfortunately I don't have one, just to comment that you shouldn't be expecting the hotfix to remove the problem, at least not completely.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Sage Icon

Just install as you would normally and perform the quartz.dll swap afterwards. Pretty easy.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:21 PM
SageTVaholic

***I hope my post won't be overlooked since this is probably the best solution of all***

I tried the old quartz.dll recommended in this thread. It's actually a little too old and breaks Theatertek's latest and greatest VMR9 renderless exclusive mode. There is a new quartz.dll (included in the hotfix below) which fixes not only the FF/REW bug (directx9.0c), but it also fixes something I thought was always just my machine... correct aspect ratio on certain videos and movies; I saw this problem very frequently in directshow media players like Zoomplayer and Windows Media Player.

Here's the hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=891220
Old 07-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Sage Icon

I've experienced the same issues with the old quartz.dll and theatertek that you mention. So I've had to revert back to the normal SP2 quartz.dll. I've been dealing with the ff/rw bug with a remote key programmed to skip forward and back quickly. This seems to be the only real way to get around this with sage. In theatertek, although I don't use it much, switching to YUV output has wroked well.

I just tried this hotfix and I'm sad to say it doesn't fix the bug in sage on my system...
Old 07-03-2005, 03:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm using quartz.dll version 6.5.2600.2578
Modified: Wednesday, December 08, 2004, 4:55:12 PM

Is that the version that got installed when you applied the hotfix? I'm guessing you already rebooted?
Old 07-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

yeah, the installation rebooted after it finished, I just double checked the version and date of rhte quartz.dll and it's the same as you posted.

It's been a terribly long time that this issue has been around, so at this point I'm used to dissapointment in this area. It's a wonder that this problem dropped off the radar. I would think by now, because of customer complaints, either Sage or Microsoft would have a definative solution.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay, I knew it was too good to be true. I guess I spoke too soon. I just rebooted and now I have the FF/REW broken again. Pretty lame. Reverting to an old quartz.dll is not an option for me because it breaks more advanced VMR9 features that I use.

So, there is no software upgrade which fixes this? 99% of all software companies would provide an update to their software which fixes their most common bugs, NOT ask the users to start messing with a dll which ends up breaking other properly working software.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Sage Icon

Well as I understand it, it's pretty much on microsofts sholders... Since, I think, all the PVR apps have the same unsolved issue.

That's no excuss though... it definately been long enough that something should have been done.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Sage User

CC causing occasional stuttering/missed frames (using Overlay)

I think I've finally been able to clean up my stuttering by turning off CC. I was already using overlay, so my situation is probably different than what a lot of other people are experiencing.

Obviously I don't want to turn off my CC, but it does seem to fix it.

Has anyone had problems w/ stuttering using CC or w/ overlay (vs VMR)? I'm curious to know if there are any other fixes out there.

Also, does anyone know if the video card itself may be the cause? It displays DVDs fine, but skips frames occasionally when using CC under overlay.