SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Sage User

Sage and OS?

Has anyone had any luck with Windows 2k Pro with SP/4? If so, did you do this to resolve the lockup issues with the 350? I'm asking about the OS because I have had no luck with any version of XP.

The reason I ask this is that I've been an owner of Sage since March of 2004, and have yet to have a pleasant experience with Sage. I do like the software, and think that it could be good, but I'm not entirely sure of the support.

The two main problems that I've been experiencing are intermitent lockups and video drift. I tried to use ReClock and it seemed to work for a little longer than expected, but I found that it still drifts, but locks then resets itself so that it looks like it's fixed if you haven't watched it for a while.

I've tried Myth, but am not impressed with the installation, it's not bad, it just isn't great. I've been using GB-PVR for the last week to see if it had similar problems, and the only problem it has really had is that it locks up after a few hours of use, which I think may or may not be a heat issue, and will test that this weekend by applying a fan to the 350.

If anyone has any information, I really could use it.

Thanks.
Hauppauge 350
ATI 9600 SE Pro
Component Video Adapter for ATI (DVI - HD)
SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
80GB primary drive ATA133
160GB SATA150
DVD R/RW
DVD ROM
SageTV + SageRecorder Software
Windows XP Pro w/sp1 w/all patches
Old 12-10-2004, 11:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krass
...but I'm not entirely sure of the support.
Have you contacted support?
http://www.sagetv.com/request.html
Old 12-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would focus on cooling first.
I put a 120mm fan on the side cover blowing right on the cards. Low speed / quiet / filtered too -- it doesn't take a lot if the fan is close by.

(I don't have a 350 though, but I do use Win2K Pro/SP4 and with the same MBRD you have (but a FX5200 video card for TV-out). Never have any problems.

TW
Old 12-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have XP, and a 350 using tv-out and from my experiences you should *not* have to compromise your OS.

Having said that, I have noticed drivers that don't seem to update the first time, issues that will not resolve until another reboot is done, sometimes WinTV settings can affect Sage.

And, *hard* lockups (no num lock toggle light on keyboard) is usually driver, heat, or PNP/PCI negotiation. If you have multiple 350's / 250's, go down to just one until you get everything working properly.

It profited me also to have my OS re-negotiate its PNP info and to switch slots and then to put in brand new drivers.

Don't compromise, this should be fixable. In my opinion you are complicating your life nad likely bringing in *other* issues by going to W2k.

FWIW hope this helps. Feel free to PM for specific advice if you like. I am by no means a sage expert, nor an AV expert, but I feel quite confident and familiar with the peccadillos of the 350 and its drivers now.

I didn't note whether you were only using the tv-out and if you have local playback disabled ?

Cory
Old 12-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

I've been running Sage under XP sp1 since May with no problems. Often hammered heavy recording 3 or 4 and once in awhile 5 simultaneously while watching something else. (DVD Standard quality) Sage 2.0 and now 2.1.10. Different system config though. Sage Server wtih 4 PVR250s and 8 250GB SATA (RAID5) so potential for a lot of heat yet never a lockup. But I planned and built with ample cooling. (Cooling critical as already suggested above) 6 small fans in the two 4in3 HD hotswap enclosures, 120mm two speed thermal controlled fan in case side blowing directly on the 4 PVR250s, 2x80mm back exhaust thermal fans, plus dual PS fan. Built for quiet HTPC Client with single PVR250 also no lockups also running XP sp1. (Haven't updated either to sp2 and don't plan to for awhile yet.)

So I'd suspect it's either heat or driver/config related but not XP as OS specific problem.

Video drift? Do you mean video and audio getting out of sync? Haven't had that problem.