SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Sage User

DVD .iso Playback

I am thinking about purchasing a Sage bundle real soon. I am wondering if you can have Sage act as a "Media" server. I would like to have it catalog and playback DVD .iso images.

This way the kids can just pick the movies without having to touch the actual DVDs.

Is this something for Sage Recorder/Client ? and how would that work?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Administrator

While it doesn't use DVD ISO images, you can rip the DVD to your hard drive and play it from there as an imported video from within SageTV -- see Appendix I in the manual.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Sage Icon

This is going to be in my next release of Cayars.stv (add-on interface). It's already working on a couple of my systems. You can RIP the DVD to ISO format and also auto-mount/playback the ISOs too.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Sage User

Let me know when this is done... Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

This functionality is already done but I need to finish up the rest of the release.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Sage Icon

A Test version of the STV has been uploaded that supports ISO mounting (uses Daemon Tools) and playback. It can play the DVD back in SageTV or via an External media player depending on how you configure it.

You need to have the base 15 version installed (if you don't already) from the first message in the Cayars thread. Then go to page 73 of the thread for the download link for version 16.

Carlo
Old 12-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Sage User

I guess this is allong the same lines as the initial question... but what video format would be the best to rip the movies too?

I would rather having quality over saving space... From the reading I have done it lokks easier to convert the .vob files to .avi files. My first thought was to try to get them to mpeg2, what is the preferred format I guess.

Oh yeah, I should tell you that the reasons behind the conversion are for playing stored DVD collection on a MediaMVP.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonc_25
I guess this is allong the same lines as the initial question... but what video format would be the best to rip the movies too?

I would rather having quality over saving space... From the reading I have done it lokks easier to convert the .vob files to .avi files. My first thought was to try to get them to mpeg2, what is the preferred format I guess.
.vob files are mpg2, you just have to chaange the extension.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, but the Media MVP can't play back the audio straight from DVD format. Have to convert it first.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard
.vob files are mpg2, you just have to chaange the extension.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

The trick bit though, is that most devices (it seems) that play MPEGs don't accept AC3 audio.

Lonc_25,

IMO, the best way to store DVDs is as files/folders. eg
Code:
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\AUDIO_TS
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
H:\DVDs\Lara Croft - Tomb Raider\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
It gives you the full DVD quality, it's very easy to rip just the movie (DVD Shrink) to save space, any player worth using can play them, and you don't have to mount virtual drives to do it.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonc_25

Oh yeah, I should tell you that the reasons behind the conversion are for playing stored DVD collection on a MediaMVP.

Thanks
I guess this is a bit confusing. You originally asked for ISO support but then ask what format to rip in? The ISO format is an image file of the DVD disk. In this case to SageTV or other program on the PC it still appears to be a true DVD (as long as it's mounted).

If you're going to try and play these on a MVP player you can't use DivX and need to stay with MPG/VOB/DVD files.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

As a side note...

The sole purpose of the .iso format is intended for mass duplicating copies. Nice if you have a DVD duplicator, but not of any real use for much of anything else without having to trick the computer into think it is an actual drive (that extra mounting process).

On the other hand, ripping to .vob's produces the files and file structure that actully do exist on the DVD. This is like what things originally started out at in the beginning before they were burned to the first master DVD.

Granted you get a lot of seperate files this way, but they are the files that actually are on the DVD in the format required for the DVD standard. The .iso image lumps everything into one large file (intended for duplicating).

Personally, I feel using .iso is very messy because you need to trick the computer into being able to read the data with addition mounting software. Since virtually every DVD player software expects to find the .vob file structure anyway, it just seems to me that ripping to .vobs is much more logical.

As for moving the files around and/or storing on a hard drive, I don't see copying an entire folder full of many small files as being any harder than copying one single large file. However, I can see were some people might prefer being able to put several .iso files all in one folder rather than having multiple folders like you would need when working with .vobs.

Just my 2 cents. Use whatever makes you feel good.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 AM
SageTVaholic

the ISO is much cleaner in my opinion
you mount the DVD just as using a retail disc

who cares about duplicating the disc
but an ISO is also better for storage if you needed to make a duplicate you could always rip the ISO later to vobs and compress it to fit a standard single sided DVD

also ripping to vobs
sometimes does not go perfect
ripping the ISO seems to be rather flawless

I am in favor of using ISOs
but if everyone really believes it is a waste
to make SageTV compatible with ISOs
I might be willing to change

and using mounting software does not bother me
and the format of the ISO is much cleaner in my thoughts
Old 12-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Sage Icon

I agree with you kny3twalker,

I've had issues on occasion when ripping to individual files but have never experienced an issue when going to an ISO file. I've also had issues needing to use software that didn't understand an "image" in a directory. This is never the case using Daemon Tools as it appears as a real DVD.

For me however, the issue was that my library already had hundreds of ISO files and I didn't want to have to re-rip them.

Either way, anyone using my STV is covered. You can RIP the files anyway you want and you can play them back natively in SageTV if using directory mode or have the STV mount the ISO and then play it back.

I think you'll see this copied into other STVs and this whole thing will be a moot point shortly (unless you stick with the OriginalV2.stv).

Carlo
Old 03-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Sage User

Has anyone perfected image mounting and playing inside SageTV for verison 4? I will be looking into downgrading to 2.28 to use Cayar's STV if I cannot get this functionality working in 4.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think a separate "DVD Collection" option would be useful. Not all of my Imported Videos are DVD's, and the DVD's get lost in the clutter of misc. video clips.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I've thought of that, I'll probably put it into IVL* at some point, just not entirely sure the best way to do it.

*In my case it's my DVDs get cluttered with imported stuff I want other stuff out of my DVDs, not my DVDs out of my other stuff
Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolart
Has anyone perfected image mounting and playing inside SageTV for verison 4? I will be looking into downgrading to 2.28 to use Cayar's STV if I cannot get this functionality working in 4.
just going to refresh this question, i am interested in this functionality as well.

/jer
Old 07-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoop
just going to refresh this question, i am interested in this functionality as well.

/jer
Me too...so much cleaner to run from an .iso like how VLC does it.

EDIT: With Extender Support!

Last edited by Deadbolt; 07-19-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Sage User

might help

check out this thread here

might help, might not.

I say good luck, and if you get it, let us know. I am willing to go back to .iso format if it will work correctly.