SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Sage User

Very slow response time

Hello all,

Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just purchased the Sage.tv 2.1/Hauppage 350 pci combo. I'm running this on the following:

WinXP Pro with SP2
480 MB 266 mhz ram (512 - 32 megs to support on mobo video)
Athlon 2100+
120 GB Western Digital HD with 8mb cache
- 10 gigs for OS and programs with 3.8 gigs free
- 8 gig cache file for creating DVD projects to burn
- 93 gigs set to NTFS 64k for mpeg capture
802.11G wireless card
Running the Hauppage remote software and Norton AV and Firewall

I originally set everything up in my home office and used a monitor, keyboard and mouse to get things running. Everything ran perfectly. I was able to capture and playback through the UI in Windows with no problems. I have a Mac laptop from work and was able to login and control the system using Remote Desktop.

Everything was running perfectly until I connected the computer to my television via the audio output and s-video output. As soon as I did this, the box slowed down and stopped running correctly. When I remote in, there is a 10-20 second delay. The same thing happens when I use the remote.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been searching the forum and haven't found anything that talks aobut this much of a delay.

All feedback appreciated,
Daryl
Old 12-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Im also a new user and have a 350 and I've been working through the expected issues one by one. I had the same behaviour (almost) in that as soon as I plugged in the remote (might have been the TV-out also), the card stopped working and stayed broken (actually, IIRC it was blue-screening rather than slowing down). In that case, what I had to do was use a different PCI slot and replace the drivers.

It could have been just the drivers, and since I can't quite remember the details I can't guarantee one or the other, but Im sure I would have tried just the drivers first. I think that I thought there might be an issue with the PNP negotiation that had happened.

Anyways, I suggest trying to update and re-install your drivers.
NOTE that the cd has old drivers on it, and that removing and replacing the drivers DOES seem to be somewhat of a tricky art. There are instructions on hauppages site, so post if you need help.

Anyways I suggest you may want to do the drivers, then perhaps try swapping slots and/or a reinstall of sage (back up your .bin's and .properties). good luck!

Cory
Old 12-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Sage User

Problem solved?

Thanks for the feedback. I worked on the problem for a few hours last night by bringing a monitor, keyboard and mouse down to the family room. Place looks like geek heaven at the moment. I finally discovered that SageTV wasn't actually loading when Windows booted.

I had set it to start up on Windows boot, but it wasn't displaying correctly. I was starting it up when I remoted into the box. I set it up to start automatically by putting a shortcut in the startup folder. I was still having a lot of sluggishness and problems, but was at least getting a display instead of a black screen.

What finally solved the issue was setting my PC up to login the administrator account automatically. I found this article to help: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1618969,00.asp

As soon as I restarted, it all kicked in and is running perfectly. Seems to be recording and playing back with no problem. I'll be removing the monitor and input devices tomorrow and see what happens.

D