SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Development Update?

I know you guys are hard at work. I sort of feel like we're all beta testing though, and I'm dying for more more more!

Can you give us an update on what you're working on, and when we all might be able to start testing stuff???

Your eager customer.

Grot
Old 06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

You're now going through what we went through in the initial beta process...

Exciting, isn't it?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:57 AM

Exciting and madening I find myself checking every post by Dan and Jeff. At first I thought HD, then Hollywood+, now maybe transcoding to MPEG4. And of course my favorite a limited web client. To be honest I hadn't realized how caught up in this I was til I found no new betas for a week. I admit to being a software junkie, but usually my interest fades and I move on to another program. With SageTV, I just can't seem to get enough. It already has so much to offer and it's obvious it's just going to get infinitly better as time goes on.

PS:TO Narflex:Sorry if I keep hitting you with feature requests. There's just something about the software and community you've created that makes a user feel like they are a part of the project.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Sage Icon

Please just tell me that sage is going to do my laundry in the next release. Ive been waiting so long for that kind of software functionality!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

You guys make me smile..... and laugh....
Old 06-12-2003, 05:02 PM

Hopefully we will make you laugh all the way to the bank. You deserve it.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:01 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

Alright, you guys pushed me so I guess I'm going to break down and tell you.

Coming soon....

HDTV support
DVD Playback
CD Playback

We'll keep you posted on when beta versions will be available and what HDTV card we will support first. That's all for now.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:14 PM

Exclamation

Awesome I love the DVD and CD playback abilities. I can't wait for the first beta. Once you posted you knew this was coming so I'll ask the first question. Do you think you'll get DVD playback to work with the 350 HW decoder? I know this should be impossible but, you guys do the impossible all the time.

PS:Keep going at this rate and you'll make my modded Xbox with XBMP redundant.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Sage

The 350's HW Decoder can't do CSS decryption (in the current driver at least). And that's required for playing back encrypted DVDs (which is essentially everything).
Old 06-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Sage Icon

Dirty laundry still
Old 06-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Sage User

Psyched about embedding DVDplayback. And CD playback.

Still wish recording management or interface improvements we're top of mind, but as I've said in my reviews of Sage, you guys get the low level (read, the hard technical stuff) right, and seem to worry less about "pretty" - as opposed to MSFT and Snapstream, who are good at pretty, but not so good at "it works" (grin).

Allow me to toss yet another "open the interface" log on the fire. I know it's probably not "easy", but it would be SOOO cool if you could just open up all the front end stuff and let the opensource community do the skins and interfaces. THere are a lot of people who are very good at it who'd have you styling in a heartbeat, and we'd STILL all pay you 60 bucks because the hard stuff works (grin).
Old 06-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Sage

Grot, have you been reading my thoughts again????
Old 06-13-2003, 06:48 AM
Sage User

Narflex -

Golly I hope so. I am just aching to get my "hooks" into, well, your hooks.

Grot
Old 06-13-2003, 07:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by grot
Golly I hope so. I am just aching to get my "hooks" into, well, your hooks.
No kidding. As a Java programmer, I've been dying to take a crack at making some changes to the interface to match my personal preferences.

-Watter
Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 AM

Now before you all start jump up and down on fact that 350 can't Decoder Commercial DVD Disk which has do with CSS encryption there reson for this know as MPAA hell which no one really want to hear about.
The 350 can Decoder Commercial DVD Disk but it not in the firmware rigth now.
So what would happing if do add support in the firmware well Hauppauge would no chosse but to enable that Dirty Laundry (Macrovision Hell that is) when come to Commercial DVD Disk which has CSS (Content Scrambling System) which need be enable on both input and output on Video Digitizer, Video DAC and Tuner in order to be licensed to legally decode DVDs for playback which end up on both the 250/350 as for NoN Commercial VCD/SVCD/CVD/DVD Disk this shouldn't be much of a problem for jeff on add support there.

I like that idea grot at the end of your message "open the interface" that sound cool.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Honestly, and perhaps I'm just uninformed here, but I'm not sure I'd even use the my 350's DVD decoding if it were made available. After all, one of the main reasons to have a HTPC instead of a normal DVD player is the amazing quality and flexibility you can get on your DVD viewing by outputting the picture in the correct resolution from the VGA port and by using some of the incredible codecs that are available (The ones from the NVDVD player are the codec du jour it seems). If one were using the 350's svideo out for DVD viewing, wouldn't the quality be similar to just a standard (not even progressive) set top DVD player?

-Watter
Old 06-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

I agree with Watter. Being an HDTV user, if I can't play progressive DVDs at suitable resolutions for my TV, they won't get played.

I'm absolutely DIEING to see what this functionality looks like. HDTV and DVD support will pretty much make Sage the only app I need to run on my HTPC. That is, if it's got aspect ratio control, progressive scan support, etc..

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I just hope we don't have to wait long. I feel like a kid on christmas eve, or maybe the day before christmas eve.. i'm a kid with a bad sense of time who knows christmas is soon.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ohh, one more thing.. it'd be nice if you could tell us which HDTV cards will be supported a few days before the beta release, so we all have time to procure one :-)
Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

We will tell you once we begin our test with a small subset of current users. Then we will open it up to others.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:52 AM

The thing is not every one will have option for HDTV hook or TV hook no space for it nor are rich enogth to go buy reg HDTV set most you HDTV user still seems alway forgot 95% of TV user are still 4x3 and there still 3yrs more to go before analog get dump.
If recall rigth you still going have to put with HDTV encryption recording jeff can only dump the stream.