SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Sage User

Video Out Card - Suggestions ?

After a long ammount of waiting i finally have a good (great in my books) pvr setup. One small thing remains however, and that is the video out itself.

Im using an Albatron KM400A Pro so i am just wondering if i should try a scanline converter like this or should i stick with an AGP card? If AGP is the case.... then what?

ANY suggestions/comments/etc would be appreciated as i'd love to hear peoples rl use with them for this task. I dont have money to throw around so if i get a card with a grainy output or whatever ill have to live with it.

Thanks,
Mark C

Last edited by Zub; 11-29-2004 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-29-2004, 06:09 AM
Sage User

Been doing little else then reading as i plan to finish this off tomorrow.

Thinking "XpertVision ATI Radeon 9600LE 256MB 128-bit DDR, VGA, DVI, TV-Out" so i have VMR9 support, but this is a little expensive for basic video out.

I forgot to mention the exact details earlier... regional Australian so very little to capture other then straight TV. Everyones discussing which card has better DVI/HDTV support and im doing the bare minimum, which is going back to tv via SVideo.

So since this is a rather low grade affair, do i really need a card like this ?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:07 AM
SageTVaholic

watch out for LE and SE video cards
they are often very poor in quality
Old 11-29-2004, 07:00 PM
SageTVaholic

What kind of display?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Sage User

Nothing special....

Standard CRT tv with flat front. Panasonic from memory.

Thats what i mean, its only going to be connected through svideo anyway, so i dont need DVI etc.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Assuming you don't need a hi-end 3D gaming video card then:

Save some money (and electricity) And get good TV-Out with a basic FX 5200 chipset (fanless).

I tried some ATI cards and didn't like the adjustment range (never could fill the top n bottom of my screen).
Plus the 5200 has a decently sharp TV output (don't expect your Std Def TV to perform anything like a computer monitor though -- and do expect some "lost" desktop area due to TV overscan).

TW
Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the suggestion teedublu.
Actually i personally work for a computer business, so ive borrowed a 9250 and a 5200 for some testing before i put money out.
Must say that the 9250 went pretty well last night but i'll post my results incase anyone else is curious.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Sage User

tigerdirect.com is selling a "5200" card - after rebates the card is 19.95 US plus shipping. The card needs to be purchased TODAY to get rebate. I don't know if this helps you at all in australia Zeb, but others may be interested.

At the moment, I'm using a soyo motherboard with integrated S-video out via an ati 9100 chip. It's been giving me alot of trouble with "strobing" false color - so I may go the cheap 5200 route soon myself. Please report on how that type of card works out for you...