SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Sage User

dual display: video rendering problems

First of all, i had a hard time deciding where to post this problem, so please forgive me if i made the wrong choise.

I'll start describing my problem in short: i have Sage 2.0 running fine with a single display. I can enable clone mode for TV out with certain configurations, not all, but am unable to make it work with a dual display configuration. I'll try to explain in detail.

First of all, my system and drivers:
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe, PIV 2,8 GHz, Hauppauge PVR250, Asus Radeon 9600XT
Clean Win2000 install with latest downloaded drivers for all: motherboard (chipset), Catalyst, PVR250. Additional Elecard 2.3.1 decoder, DirectX9.0c.

Normal working config: Main and TV-out in clone mode.VMR9, Elecard decoder.

What i want: independant desktop and video, i want to be able to work on the PC while others use Sage on TV-out, this should be possible.

When i enable TV-out as a second display. Starting Sage works, but opening a video file (Live TV for example) gives the error from the faq:
"There was a MPEG-2 video error in playback details: Failed connecting video stream to overlay mixer ErrCode = 0x80040217". OK so i try the listed solutions: switching between VMR9 and Overlay, bewteen Default, Elecard and intervideo decoders. But i get either the same error or the next one:
"Failed rendering video stream ErrCode = 0x80040231" Closing and restarting Sage between each switch, just to be sure.

I've searched here, on htpc forums, on sage community, without finding anything dual-display related. Can someone point me to a solution, a hint, some place on the internet that is related, anything.

Thanks, Marc
Old 11-28-2004, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

you probably want to enable 3d acceleration and make the TV out primary monitor

just drag the items you want to work with to the monitor as well as the task bar

then try it again
one thing how you do have the video settings configured in sageTV?

you wrote elecard but.....

and then you will probably not want to use any 4d application on the monitor while SageTV plays

also some application when opening make your CPU jump to 100% for a second
so open your applications before hand to not disturb the viewers
Old 11-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the swift response...

Quote:
you probably want to enable 3d acceleration and make the TV out primary monitor
OK, primary for the monitor where sage runs is what i am using, because for testing purposes, sage still runs on my desktop, which is primary. As for 3D acceleration, it WAS on, but interesting enough, after enabling the second 'monitor', it will not change from disabled. Strange.

Quote:
one thing how you do have the video settings configured in sageTV?
ok, i'l try:
prefered: render VMR9, decoder Elecard, dxva mode default, deinterlacing bob & weave. 3d acc. is on in single or clone display mode.

i did test all combinations of VMR9 <-> overlay <-> default and intervideo <-> elecard <-> default, with dxva and deinterlacing as above. As soon as i enable the 2nd display in other than clone mode, 3D accelerations seams to be disabled. Is this a Sage thing, 'cause it doesn't see normal for a 9600XT videocard.

Quote:
and then you will probably not want to use any 4d application on the monitor while SageTV plays also some application when opening make your CPU jump to 100% for a second
so open your applications before hand to not disturb the viewers
I know, would be surfing mainly when others use Sage.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

can you enable it when it is on the second screen or it just disabled and thats it

maybe try overlay and see if the 3d acceleration settings keeps enabled

maybe try another decoder
here are some for free

ftp://asftp.aopen.com.tw/pub/driver/...oder_40029.zip

http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sou...Scaler5004.exe
Old 11-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Sage User

I'll try some combinations and report on them, later this evening...
Damned daytime jobs
Old 11-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Sage User

OK, I've got some clues now, but i'm not quite there yet...

It seems like a decoder problem... For dual display, Elecard does not work at all. Intervideo does work, but only when renderer is set at default.

Now for the new problem: intervideo with default renderer gives shitty video. Although i still have to try the intervideo registry settings from the faq.

As for other decoders, i've tried both decoders from your link, but none show up in the decoder option list in SageTV, do i have something to set somewhere before Sage sees them? Totally confused...

I've read tons of stuff, but i still do not understand where Sage gets it's decoders, how and where i can set decoder properties (if they have them)...
I beg for a little bit more of your help.

Thanks again for bringing me this far already.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah restart sageTV and if the service is running disbale it and then restart it as well
you have to do this to add decoders to the list

try using VMR9 but I would not expect smooth playback on two screens at once

make sure to enable 3d acceleration and use the nvidia decoders
nothing can compare
and those I gave a link for are beta
if you want non beta buy them or search the web for my posts
Old 11-30-2004, 01:24 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
yeah restart sageTV and if the service is running disbale it and then restart it as well
you have to do this to add decoders to the list
Did restart Sage every time, and service is not running. They just won't show up.

Quote:
try using VMR9 but I would not expect smooth playback on two screens at once
Nope, only default renderer setting will work on two screens
Seems it's a hardware or video driver thing: after many trials, i've concluded that anything that uses 3D gives errors when true dual display is enabled.
For example, Intervideo Non CSS works (only with default renderer). But when i set the 3D acceleration settings in registry, they give errors too...

Maybe someone here knows of any such problems with the catalyst drivers?
I use the drivers that need the .NET framework, not the older style ones. I would think that the only diff. between the two is user interface, am i mistaken?

Anyway, i'll start some google-ing today, maybe i find something ATI -dual display - 3D - related.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 AM
SageTVaholic

did you install the decoders
the nvidia would show but Dscaler 5 I forgot you got to edit the properties file

it should be DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder and DScaler Audio Decoder
add to additional filters

and you need to enable 3d acceleration in SageTV not in the registry or whatever else you are doing

without enabling 3d acceleration in sAgeTV
the video render is overlay

default video render is VMR7

VMR9 should be able to do it as well and looks much better

you should consider buying the nvidia decoders
Old 11-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Sage User

Allright, it WORKS!!!
Thank you for keeping my faith up, for making me try...

As i'm typing this, my partner is watching a movie thru Sage
Let me tell you what was the clue: i know it was suggested before, but TV MUST be primary. It's not a matter of working better, it simple does not work any other way. Every decoder, VMR9, 3D acceleration, it works when TV-out is set as primary display en my desktop is secondary. They even run both at different resolutions, no problem whatsoever.

On the other hand, when my desktop is primary, Sage won't start any decoder as soon as it uses anything 3D related, no matter on which screen Sage runs. It makes no sense to me, but at least i understand what must be done to make it work.

I hope this is helpfull to some other people as well.