SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja'Man
Btw stanger89, are you still not using ffdshow? I think i saw a recent post of your various settings but cant find it now.
FWIW, I posted a new screenshot in another thread, seems to apply here as well though:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showpos...&postcount=116
Old 12-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well I finally broke down and purchased Nvidia decoders (Sonic won't let mw install since I upgraded my box, I hate online activation!!) I must say its a step in the right direction... Picture has improved a geat deal on the big screen.

Can someone tell me... the VPP is that only for NVidia cards? Are there any super secret settings that aren't in the nvidia app that might get too with graphedit or something?

--Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Sage Expert

VPP (video post processing) is just for the nvidia cards. it is the post processing that the cards hardware does. It is useless for TV anyway as it is meant for content that is shot on 'film' not 'video'. It looks OK with films but not with lets say 'news' channels.

Last edited by ukmgranger; 12-02-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ng00se30
Can someone tell me... the VPP is that only for NVidia cards?
It depends, the software VPP filter will work with any card. However the Geforce 5 and 6 series offer the same functionality via DXVA, and that is nVidia only.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Sage User

so you are using Quadro drivers with your 6800. I have a 6800gt and was thinking of trying that as well, but i also use it as a gaming machine and wasnt sure if I should!? Stanger, would you mind posting your Sage and nvdvd vpp settings? And what recording level were you using when you recorded that movie the screenshot is from? Tia
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've found on of the "andy" versions of ffdshow... seems to work a lot better. I also found out that when I turned on hyper-threading it really dropped my CPU usage. as much as 30%. I was scared to use it due to some of the problems that people have related to HT, but so far so good. I'll post some settings tonight I hope!

--Tvar
Old 12-04-2004, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually I'm pretty sure I'm using the standard 66.81 drivers, I don't really like messing with hacks/mods like that, at least not on my HTPC. As for my settings, it's pretty simple, I just have nVDVD set to Hardware Accelleration - Enabled, Deinterlace Control - Smart, and Deinterlace Mode - VMR Pixel Adaptive. Then I just have Sage set to "Default" since nVDVD is the Preferred decoder on my system, and that way I can get the tray icon. As for record settings, that (ROD) was recorded at "Best" which is 3 GB/hour.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I seem to have a red problem now. Its more apparent when watching an American show.
Bright reds are too bright, and show stepping in their edges much better (which is worse to watch) than any other colour.

I will play with the colour settings again as I have just read that adjusting them in sage is only for recording.

I did try to use Avia to set up my display but it the tests didnt seem to work too well on an LCD projector.

Also, my aspec ratio is now changing in sage. When I start off watching a programme the picture fills the screen (not very well).
When I do something like FF it drops down to the right ratio.
4:3 looks quite good now, but its not resizing 16:9 correctly.

Fix one thing, break another

Last edited by edgley; 12-07-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Sage User

Thanks Stanger. I dont remember seeing an option for VMR PIxel adaptive. I will double check it tonight when I get home. Maybe its because Im not using NVDVD as my decoder. When I do, its all white like the contrast is all messed up. I saw a link on AVS for a chroma fix for the decoder. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well this thread didn't take off quite as good as I hoped, but I wanted to update my situation at this point. I've started using "DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoders" version Alpha 5.0.0.4, and wow what a difference they make on some sources.

I have dish and cable, and the cable sources look at good as watching straight from the TV, and the Dish source is much improved too. If this is Alpha... the upcoming versions will be good news for some of us.

I have gone to watching standard TV in source Aspect Ratio... black bars on left and right... but taking the stretching out of the equation improves quality.

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Sage User

I meant to do some more testing and never got around to it, including trying out the new Dscaler decoder. I should have some time this weekend at the very latest, and will post everything I can. Lets keep this thread going for us PJ users!