SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Feature Request - Online Movie Rentals

I'd love to see Sage or it's cusomizers come up with a way to create a plugin or other method to integrate one of the numerous online movie rental sites.. such as movielink.

If it could be made so that we could download a film and play it though the sage interface and do all that through the remote.. WOW!

As many of you know Tivo is going to be doing this with NetFlix.. and I think it's an excellent idea!

Perhaps a bit too ambitious, and/or perhaps it would take considerable involvement from one of the online movie rental houses.. but it would be a great feature!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Second the request.

Maybe even the integration of Itunes Music shop / Web Radio for Music videos etc.

Basically some sort of Online Spotlight feature like in MCE 2005.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Sage Icon

Boo, Hiss, pay for downloads, yuck
Old 11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

For the family .
My family still rents movies now and then.
Would be great if they could dl a movie (legally) for 2-3$.
While giving me one more extra reason to have my HTPC. :P
Old 11-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

I did a quick check and found that my local video store was cheaper. Also don't forget that you're going to be downloading compressed files, so they aren't going to be as good as the originals.

Even with a plug-in, you wouldn't be able to archive these files (or only for X days). Some only rentals don't even allow you to rewind.

What I'd suggest, try these services out (I haven't) using the recommended software. See if it is really worth it. If so maybe we can integrate it in somehow. I'm not sure how but maybe... First let's see if it's really worth it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
Boo, Hiss, pay for downloads, yuck
Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

What the?!??!$!!???.....???

Turns around and walks quitely out of the thread shaking head vigurously.

Mutters something about kitchen sink and toilet water.

Last edited by Crazedz; 11-23-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

jeez...

It was just a suggestion, for a feature.. not everybody uses all the features.. no need to get nasty or mean. The rental thing is already a feature in several well established, professional packages.. it's an established idea with merit.

I'd love to see it.

Last edited by Stuntman; 11-30-2004 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Better wording
Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

I watched a movie in HQ from movielink over the weekend.. I didn't want to have to pack up the family and go to the store and find it (If they even had it).. the quality was great, and it was worth the expense (think of it as pay per view). I realize Sage wouldn't be allowed to archive any of these, but if we could have a plugin that allowed us to watch them, just the once, that would be way cool! Tivo is doing exactly that with Netflix.. I'm wanting to create a media center that can do everything through Sages interface without having to exit the application.. Kind of the idea behind the weather and RSS plugins.. certainly that is usually done outside of a media server?? But how cool is it to bring up a single interface to watch tv, playback recordings, play dvd's, play mp3's, view slideshows, check weather, read news.. rent videos, listen to radio, burn DVD's/CD's... all in a single application..

Wow!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

second that, only... after some searching I found that netflix doesn't support dling to Europe (???)
Old 12-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Netflix or Movielink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methius
second that, only... after some searching I found that netflix doesn't support dling to Europe (???)
I don't think you can Download from Netflix anyplace, yet... I'd guess that after the plugin for Tivo is finished, Netflix may make it possible for non-Tivo users to download movies as well..