SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

VIDEO PROBLEMS SINCE 2.1 UPGRADE - HELP, PLEASE!

HELP!

As many of us have discussed off and on here for the last several weeks, I'm having video problems since upgrading to 2.1.

The video problems consist of small video stutters every few seconds. In fact, the best way to look at it is to turn on CNN, which has the ticker on the bottom which is supposed to smoothly go from right to left. If you look at it, you'll see that every few seconds, a frame is repeated where the ticker will jump back a frame and then continue on.

Obviously, I would not be at the end of my rope just for CNN. This shows up everywhere and it's making watching TV with Sage very annoying.

Now before it's blamed on Sage completely, I will say that the files are not recorded that way. If I watch the file on the MediaMVP or the sage client on the office PC, they playback fine. If I take the MPG file and play it back on another PC, it plays back fine.

Most importantly, if I play a recording back through WinDVD or Windows Media 10 on the server PC (where the TV is connected), it plays back fine.

Since I installed Sage 2.0 back in July, I have been using the same equipment:

2 Hauppauge PVR-250
ATI Radeon 9600 (OEM)
512MB RAM
250GB SATA HDD
ASUS A700 (VIA) Motherboard
WinDVD 6 (mostly for codec)

The DVI output of the Radeon 9600 goes directly into my Sony HDTV. The resolution is 1776x1000.

I have always used the Intervideo codec as the main codec, but have also tried the one that comes with Hauppauge cards, the Intervideo non-CSS codec.

I have also, since day one, set the following registry settings (as discussed in the forum) to solve interlace issues with the codec:

HKLM\Software\IviSDK4Hauppauge\Common\VideoDec\Dxva = 1
HKLM\Software\IviSDK4Hauppauge\Common\VideoDec\Hwmc = 1

Again, everything worked PERFECTLY until I installed Sage 2.1. Now TV is, litterally, unwatchable on the server.

I have tried going back to OriginalV2.stv (currently using SageMC and/or Cayars13). I have done a complete dummy install in another PC and copied the sage.properties file back to the server just in case there was junk in it that was causing problems.

I have tried uninstalling Sage and re-installing it. In fact, when I put 2.1 on I had to do a complete uninstall as I went through the PVR-250 Hell that some of us have gone through where one turner won't change channels.

I am at my wits end here. I don't want to go back to 2.0, becuase frankly I really like SageMC from mlbdude, so does my wife. But something is borken here and I would certainly appreciate all the help I can.

Thanks!

Stacy
Old 11-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Sage Icon

What happens if you run Sage standalone with the service disabled? I suspect running at that resolution that the extra hit the service takes on your system is just enough resources to cause you stutters.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Sorry, forgot to mention that Sage is running stand-alone (not in service mode) and I have tried both to no avail.

I never had any kind of problems whatsoever with 2.0, just 2.1.

My office PC running Sage Client is running 1920x1200 resolution and it has no problems playing back from Sage (through network/server) or via WinDVD over the network playing a Sage mpg file.

Also, attached is a snapshot of my services that are running. Does anyone see anything squirely here?

Best regards,

Stacy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Services.jpg (150.1 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by srothwell; 11-23-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

somewhere there is a post from dan with a different dll (search for "directshowcapture"). this dll in combination with the 2.1.9RC6 Beta version are running stable for me.
btw do you also get distorted sound ?
Old 11-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

hoep,

My understanding is that the new dll solves the problem with the tuners being able to change channels.

Unless I understand wrong, the PVR cards have only to deal with encoding and not decoding, right?

And, I do get some distorted audio ocassionally, but I would describe it more as "digitized" audio. It usually occurs when I'm getting a lot of the stuttering and it sounds like the audio is constantly having to re-sync.

Stacy